“A very good hotel near I-70” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Kansas City East/Blue Springs

Courtyard Kansas City East/Blue Springs
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Blue Springs
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“A very good hotel near I-70”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night with my family on my way back from a long road-trip (Colorado - DC - Colorado). It was just the kind of hotel I was hoping for after about 10-hour drive from Columbus, OH. The hotel is about 20 Miles east of Kansas City. So, may not be the best option if your destination is Kansas City proper but for the travelers on I-70 needing an affordable and nice overnight resting place with close proximity to the interstate, this hotel can't be beat. The hotel looks fairly new or at least recently updated and therefore everything appeared to be clean and shiny. The lobby was brightly lit and appeared to be welcoming. A courteous and cheerful staff can only enhance the quality of your stay. As a Marriott Elite member, who has stayed at a number of Marriott properties around the world, I've found Marriott hotels staff to be always the best and this hotel is no exception to that rule. When it comes to the overall appeal of the Courtyard properties, though, my experience has been spotty. Sometimes you get the top-notch properties but others, a run-down hotel from which you can't wait to get the hell out of. But this one is definitely one of the finest Courtyards I've stayed at recently. Apart from the hotel itself, there are two very good reasons to pick this hotel - one, its proximity to I-70 and second, plenty of shopping and dining options nearby. Go ahead, pick this hotel and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: The free wifi is abysmal at best. Even though there are plenty of dining and breakfast options nearb...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SomeDarren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

I travel and stay a lot at hotels and try to be as fair as possible so I needed a place close to independence for a funeral I was attending so I chose this property. 1. great location for Blue Springs and close to a shopping area. 2. Safe well lit parking lot and area. 3. Lobby seems nice and newly decorated. 4. rooms where clean but saw some peeling wallpaper and stained carpet, not a big deal but could use some updating. 5. Beds where comfortable and linens where clean. 6. only one elevator worked and it was very slow!!! 6. what is the deal with the worlds smallest shampoo and conditioner bottles, I had a room that could sleep 4 adults and the shampoo was not even enough for me and I have short hair, the conditioner bottle was to hard to squeeze and hard to get out. Come on this is not acceptable for a Marriott by any means 7. Staff was OK about average but the blue t-shirts for uniforms to me seem a little low class for a Marriott, this is what I expect from motel 6 but not Marriott . I would like to see a staff member better dressed than t-shirts for uniforms. 8. The pool looked nice and clean but I did not use it. 9. I did not use the cafe on property so I have no opinion but it did look clean and updated. I hope this does not sound too negative as this is not my point but just a few adjustments could make this a much better stay!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank jwks
Bill E, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City East/Blue Springs, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review our property. All guest feedback helps us to continually evaluate and improve. We appreciate you staying with us. Please contact me if I can make your next stay even more enjoyable!
Bill
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Nice place to stay after a long day on the road. Very pleasant greeting at the front desk and check-in was easy. Room was fine although I was a little disappointed in the morning when the in-room coffee maker didn't work. Close to some chain restaurants such as Olive Garden, Five-Guys Burgers, and Panera. Second time we've stayed here and it's always nice to start the day east of Kansas City when driving from Colorado.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Blue Springs, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Our air conditioner in our home broke the day we were leaving town for a holiday. Upon returning I needed to find a room close to home. I was able to book the last room here after an exhausted search. I had stayed at this hotel several years ago and I wasn't impressed. So, this was my last choice. I was very pleasantly surprised. The lobby was completely updated with a little cafe/bar. The staff was very kind. When I told them about my circumstances & that I may need a room the following night, they were so kind. I had to be put on a waiting list, however by morning I had a room. Fortunately I didn't need it.

The room was nice with a king size bed, jacuzzi tub, refrigerator & microwave. The bed was fabulous! It was definitely harder versus softer, but very comfortable. The air conditioner kept the room cool, but it was loud without any way to adjust it. I didn't use the tub and frankly I don't like jacuzzi tubs next to beds.

I'm so happy with my stay! Thank you Courtyard!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Becky G
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

I guess you shouldn't complain about service without a smile, but there were several requests that we made that the staff wouldn't/couldn't accommodate, and the staff didn't seem to care either way. Average, average, average. We stayed one night, arriving at bedtime, and leaving after breakfast. It is convenient to the interstate if you are just needing a place to sleep and then back on the road as we were.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cynthia L
Bill E, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City East/Blue Springs, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. Our goal is to provide service that is above average for our guests, and your experience was certainly short of that standard. I appreciate your candor, and your comments will provide good feedback for the staff. Please let me be of personal assistance to arrange a pleasant stay on your visit.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

There was nothing terribly wrong with this hotel, it was clean, they served breakfast, they had a courtyard. All the indicators of a "Courtyard" hotel, but almost not worth writing about. The desk clerks weren't friendly, they weren't rude but they weren't friendly.
When I arrived I let the desk person know I was a Gold Elite member and asked if they did anything special (as some hotel chains in the Marriott family do little things for Gold Members water upon arrival, offer a points for buying a meal from their in house bistro, etc) and what I got was "No we don't do anything if your Gold" very matter of fact. Not rude, just not friendly.
After getting out of the gym, my key didn't work for my room, when I went to the desk to make sure I was in room 410 (because I had just got in and went straight to the gym I honestly thought I may have had the wrong room) she verified my room and then said "Was the key by a cell phone?" I said "Yes, in my pocket, while I was working out" she replied, "That'll happen" once again, not rude, just not at all friendly.
My meal in the morning took exceptionally long to get as I was trying to run out the door in the morning. They didn't move with a purpose, it was very slow. Not rude, but not friendly.
The gym was quite small, I asked if they had gym passes to a nearby local gym (as is pretty common in my business travels) the desk girl said "Nope, all we've got it our gym" Not rude, just not friendly. Hope this helps gives you an reasonable expectation of this Courtyard.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mike W
Thank you for your comments. It is a great reminder that each guest interaction needs to be treated as a fresh experience. We have a great group of people working for the hotel that genuinely care about service. We need to guard against becoming "routine". Thanks for the reminder and some material for the bulletin board!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Very nice hotel outside of the KC area. Everything we wanted to get to was within about a 20 min drive. The pool was very nice and we had it mostly to ourselves the entire weekend we were there. Staff was great. The on site restaurant was very good. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The workout facilities were on par with a typical hotel gym but it was very clean and mostly empty the entire stay. We did experience severe whether while we were there and the staff was very nice and understood we were not from the area and showed us where to look on the whether map. Enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Grain Valley
Comfort Suites Independence
Comfort Suites Independence
#3 of 18 in Independence

Been to Courtyard Kansas City East/Blue Springs? Share your experiences!