“Hard beds, customer service glitch” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Kansas City East/Blue Springs

Courtyard Kansas City East/Blue Springs
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Blue Springs
Woodbury, Minnesota
“Hard beds, customer service glitch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I arrived at the hotel in the middle of the night after a long drive from Minnesota. I entered a locked vestibule and pressed the buzzer for after hours entry. Nothing happened. No employee was at the desk. I then called directory assistance and got the number to the hotel. I called and could hear the phone ringing and ringing but nobody answered.

After about 20 minutes of standing there I saw an employee walk by and she motioned at me that she would be right down. When I got let in, I saw that there was a handwritten sign on the desk telling guests that she would be delivering check out folios to all 4 floors and to remember to bring their room cards outside with them. That did me no good as a late arriving guest. If they are really requiring the front desk person to abandon the desk they need to find a way that she can be contacted. Waiting for 20 minutes in a vestibule is unacceptable.

The room I received was wonderful. Very large and clean. The property itself was clean, quiet and very well located right off of I-70.

The second gripe was the beds. I spend 30-45 nights a year in hotels and normally find the beds much more comfortable than my own at home. But, holy cow, this mattress was hard as a rock! I understand that mattress firmness is subjective in nature. For every person you find that likes a softer feel you will find someone that enjoys a harder mattress. For that reason, most hotel mattresses strike a balance, but not these.

I give the hotel an average rating just based on the location and updated facilities, but I would never stay there again based on the hard mattresses.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank trm684

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Just about everything is right with this hotel except for four things: the beds; the linens, the small bathroom vanity and the air freshener in the rooms. The property appears to be newer and it is quite nice and comfortable. Quiet, too and located near a lot of shopping and restaurants with easy access to Highway 70. The rooms are typical for a mid-range hotel with bed, flat screen TV, desk, chair, mini fridge and free wireless access. While you could stay at a Hilton competitor for about the same price, there the breakfast is what I call "hot continental" - that is, a couple of hot items (rarely bacon) and mainly continental in nature. At the Marriott, breakfast is NOT included but it is a nice buffet, WITH bacon, and reasonably priced. Some are complaining at the cost but, when you've spent $60 on breakfast at a larger property, the $10/person you'll spend here is a bargain. True, it's not free, like at the Hilton competitor, but it's a proper breakfast! One disappointment with breakfast was the lack of iced tea. What is up with that? I can order hot tea but not iced tea.

Room amenities are also what you would expect: coffee maker, hair dryer, body lotion, body gel, shampoo and conditioner. Coffee packets and one (Lipton...ick) tea bag were included. I'm not a coffee drinker so I did not pay attention to the brand. Yes, I admit I'm a tea snob but why not at least Tazo?

Disappointing: 1) The beds. Wow, they were hard. Not comfortable at all. I can stay at that Hilton competitor for about the same price and experience a much more boutique-like bed. Come on Marriott! 2) The linens. Like the beds, the linens were cheap. The towels were thin and the sheets were lightweight as well. Nothing makes a mid-range property feel more luxurious than some nicer linens. I'd say it's worth the investment. On the plus side, the pillows were GREAT! 3) The ridiculously small bathroom vanity. Not only is it too small for one person to spread their toiletries, but part of it is taken up by the coffee maker! 4) The air freshener. Never before have I been in a hotel room where air freshener was continuously pumped into the room. For someone with scent sensitivities, this was very unpleasant. I even looked for the source to see if I could disable it for our stay. No luck. Not sure where it is hidden but I would recommend discarding the air fresheners. The property is 100% smoke-free so why the need for perfume?

I supposed you could say I am too picky. I freely admit the property was nice, located in a great spot, and was in immaculate condition. The staff were very friendly...always saying "hello!" and allowing us to take the elevator while they waited for the next ride. There were no problems when our large family, there for a wedding celebration, commandeered the lobby and its television to watch a Cardinals baseball playoff game while drinking the alcohol and food we purchased elsewhere. All in all, the experience was a good one and I would easily recommend this property. I just think the experience could be upgraded with some better mattresses and linens and by getting rid of the air fresheners. The coffee makers could be easily relocated to another spot in the room.

At any rate, they have bacon (and darn good bacon!) for breakfast and that is a definite win!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lino Lakes, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott in Blue Springs for a long weekend for my 45th High School reunion. As I had not stayed there before and actually hadn't been to the Kansas City area for about 10 years, I didn't know what to expect. I was very pleasantly surprised how well the property was kept up. Everything was sparkling clean and I felt comfortable the entire weekend. The breakfast buffet was very reasonable and the cook to order grill was included. The staff was very attentive which was a feat because there was a large number of us staying at the hotel.
The room was very comfortable and had plenty of electrical outlets for my computer and phone charger. The bathroom was very clean, and well maintained. Parking at the hotel was also very accommodating. The Marriott also had a swimming pool that I did not use although it did look inviting. And the exercise room was adequate for my needs. Overall, this was one of the better hotels I've stayed in and can highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed in cheaper hotels that were just as nice as this one that supplied you with a free hot breakfast! Not only is it not free, but it is over $10 for a hot breakfast. Had we known this we would have stayed somewhere else.
The room was clean (except for the bug running across the bathroom floor), the bed was comfortable and it was quiet.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Bill E, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City East/Blue Springs, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
I always appreciate feedback, and I hope I can be of assistance. Courtyard Marriott as a brand does not include breakfast in the standard room rate, however there is a rate available which includes breakfast. The rate with breakfast is very comparable and competitive with rates of area hotels that offer a "free" breakfast. You will find this rate both on-line or through Marriott reservation system, but it does not show up on Priceline, Expedia, etc.

Our breakfast buffet includes bacon and sausage, biscuits and gravy, home-style potatoes, and eggs made to order, including any omelette. Also, oatmeal, waffles with a variety of toppings, a variety of fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, breakfast breads, muffins, danish & pastries. It includes coffee and juice, also. For quality and price, our breakfast beats breakfast at Bob Evans, Denny's or Cracker Barrel. In fact, we have many local customers that come in for breakfast at our cafe. Our emphasis is on variety and quality of breakfast offerings, so free breakfast programs simply do not compare.

I hope this information helps.
Bill E.
Omaha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had to travel for business and we turned it into a short couple's vacation. The hotel was very nice, clean with updated decor. Our room was large, with a jacuzzi and refrigerator, which I appreciated. The pool was not large, but it was very clean and was sufficient for swimming. The hotel was quiet and the bed was very comfortable, with nice clean, crisp sheets and comforter. We opted for the breakfast with our room rate for $10 more which gave us 2 breakfast vouchers for us and, if we had children with us, would have included 2 breakfast voucher for them too. It was a great deal of savings and the breakfast was wonderful. We loved our server. She was pleasant and very helpful. We would definitely stay here again if we were in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a little hard to find. It is on a frontage road back in behind big shopping center. There is no shortage of restaurant around to find some dinner. The hotel is beautiful. The rooms were updated, clean and nicely decorated. The staff was very friendly. When we left for dinner, the lady at the front desk asked if our room was great. It was nice that she actually asked after we had checked in but just shortly. Will definitely plan to stay here again if going this way through.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TwotimesMommy
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently with a business meeting. Katie and Fred went above and beyond to make sure my room was just what I needed. Very clean property. Everyone in my group liked their stay. Only thing I would say needs improvement is the friendliness and speaking tone if the breakfast servers.

• Stayed September 2013
#1 of 2 in Grain Valley
Comfort Suites Independence
Comfort Suites Independence
#3 of 18 in Independence

Been to Courtyard Kansas City East/Blue Springs? Share your experiences!