“out of this world...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Fox and Hounds

The Fox and Hounds
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Shawbury
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“out of this world...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Me and my wife turned up on a very busy Saturday night around 6.30pm. no reservation. but the staff managed to find us a table, my wife had pasta dish and I had salmon fish cakes, they was reasonable size portions and cooked to perfection, with great texture and a variety of dressings.
the desert menu had great choice and the service was timed to give you chance to chat and enjoy your meal and didn't feel rushed at all. the dining area was spacious and bright, staff was polite and well turned out, and the manager was polite and welcoming regular guest using there names, this gives you a personal VIP feeling. when we got the bill we was pleasantly surprised how reasonable the drink prices was and that the whole meal for 2 courses meal for 2 people with a drink came to under £40. will be returning again, thanks to all the staff, for making us feel welcome and giving us a lovely evening.

shropshire uk
“Rude and unwelcoming”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

We went here a party of 4 . The service was poor and we felt just a nuisance to them. Food portions so small will never go back again. They were to interested in a larger table booking ! I emailed them but they never even acknowledged it !

5 Thank lovingthesunshine
“Good pub food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Had a good steak here. Cooked well, nice caramelised outside, too many cooks don't get enough heat on when cooking a steak. Ordered med rare and was spot on. Great home cut chips not too thick and crunchy. Nice pint guinness. The other half had home made fish cakes Also very good

Shrewsbury
“LUNCH WITH FRIENDS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Attended the Fox with friends, a party of 6 for lunch on Tuesday 18th march. The first thing you notice is the management have the front of house just right,despite a large party attending a buffet we were attended to promptly by the staff, we were served drinks at the table and given Menus to look at.
Two of our party had preordered Devilled Kidneys to start, and I mentioned I had not tried them so I was asked if I would like to have a small portion after my Ham Hock starter, which I must say was delicious. My main course was Chicken and Chorizo Stew and warm Bread which was cooked beautifully and was full of flavour. I found the staff friendly and efficient and we stayed for over 2 hours enjoying ourselves.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Average Sunday Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I was really looking forward to my Sunday lunch at the Fox and Hounds. I had been there 5 times before for Sunday lunch and the food and service had always been impeccable. I was looking forward to giving them 5 stars and heaps of praise on the TripAdvisor review based on past experiences but today, Sunday 9th March, the experience was average at best. I was having lunch with 2 friends who had been there many times more than I and knew the landlord personally. We drove in to the car park and found it nearly full - a sign of a busy pub. Great if the pub can cope - as I thought it could. We were quickly settled in and given menus. The pub offers a very reasonable 3 courses for £19.95. The pub was full of small and large groups, including some children, and a large group celebrating a birthday. We arrived for our table booked for 1.30pm. I had not seen the pub that full at 1.30pm before - maybe the excellent weather had brought out more than the usual people. We ordered a bottle of Merlot wine. It arrived opened with 3 glasses and was put down on the table and left there. I'm always suspicious of wine already opened when it reaches the table - I feel it should be opened in front of the customer and the customer allowed to taste it. It could have been anything. The waitress lacked any wine serving skills and appeared noticeably tired. The wine, however, was fine. My friends' both had a ham terrine to start and it was served on a slate plate with salad and dressing. I had the chicken liver pate. The pate was fine but had an inch square piece of clingfilm noticeably attached to it. Without trying to be picky, it is the job of the kitchen to notice these things and the waiting staff to double check. It was not hidden away underneath but quite visible. When I pointed it out to the waitress I received a grudging apology. Disinterest on her part was palpable. My friends both had pork for their main course. I had beef. The mains were accompanied by selections of veg and small roast potatoes. The waitress had asked me whether I wanted my beef pink or well-done. I said pink; it came out well-done. I'm not sure I even got the same joint of beef as other tables - mine appeared to be more like cheap, pre-sliced re-heated stuff. Maybe they had run out of their normal roast and were substituting? I don't know but it tasted cheap and was chewy. My friends' pork was fine. I explained about the beef to the waitress whose disinterest continued. Looking around the restaurant, none of the waitressing staff looked particularly happy or pleased to be there. Maybe numbers of customers exceeded expectations. We had desserts and asked for the bill. After a 15 minute wait, my friend had to go to the bar and ask again - no waitresses in sight. This was at 3.10pm. The bill, presented hastily and with no sentiment was for £78.10 for 3 people. I have had great Sunday lunches here and can only hope that today's experience was a disappointing one-off. They were nowhere near their normal standard of food or service.

3 Thank Robert Y