“Average Sunday Lunch”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I was really looking forward to my Sunday lunch at the Fox and Hounds. I had been there 5 times before for Sunday lunch and the food and service had always been impeccable. I was looking forward to giving them 5 stars and heaps of praise on the TripAdvisor review based on past experiences but today, Sunday 9th March, the experience was average at best. I was having lunch with 2 friends who had been there many times more than I and knew the landlord personally. We drove in to the car park and found it nearly full - a sign of a busy pub. Great if the pub can cope - as I thought it could. We were quickly settled in and given menus. The pub offers a very reasonable 3 courses for £19.95. The pub was full of small and large groups, including some children, and a large group celebrating a birthday. We arrived for our table booked for 1.30pm. I had not seen the pub that full at 1.30pm before - maybe the excellent weather had brought out more than the usual people. We ordered a bottle of Merlot wine. It arrived opened with 3 glasses and was put down on the table and left there. I'm always suspicious of wine already opened when it reaches the table - I feel it should be opened in front of the customer and the customer allowed to taste it. It could have been anything. The waitress lacked any wine serving skills and appeared noticeably tired. The wine, however, was fine. My friends' both had a ham terrine to start and it was served on a slate plate with salad and dressing. I had the chicken liver pate. The pate was fine but had an inch square piece of clingfilm noticeably attached to it. Without trying to be picky, it is the job of the kitchen to notice these things and the waiting staff to double check. It was not hidden away underneath but quite visible. When I pointed it out to the waitress I received a grudging apology. Disinterest on her part was palpable. My friends both had pork for their main course. I had beef. The mains were accompanied by selections of veg and small roast potatoes. The waitress had asked me whether I wanted my beef pink or well-done. I said pink; it came out well-done. I'm not sure I even got the same joint of beef as other tables - mine appeared to be more like cheap, pre-sliced re-heated stuff. Maybe they had run out of their normal roast and were substituting? I don't know but it tasted cheap and was chewy. My friends' pork was fine. I explained about the beef to the waitress whose disinterest continued. Looking around the restaurant, none of the waitressing staff looked particularly happy or pleased to be there. Maybe numbers of customers exceeded expectations. We had desserts and asked for the bill. After a 15 minute wait, my friend had to go to the bar and ask again - no waitresses in sight. This was at 3.10pm. The bill, presented hastily and with no sentiment was for £78.10 for 3 people. I have had great Sunday lunches here and can only hope that today's experience was a disappointing one-off. They were nowhere near their normal standard of food or service.

3  Thank Robert Y

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Having previously enjoyed food from the standard dinner menu we decided to try the Sunday dinner options. The pub is in a lovely building with a nice decor and the staff were friendly and polite. Sadly, for us the food didn't quite live up to expectations. There was a decent selection on the Sunday lunch menu, but when we arrived (early evening) they had already run out of roast beef. We both had the roast pork which came with crackling, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and a selection of vegetables. It was a tasty enough roast dinner, but nothing special.

2  Thank CharloBungle
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Birthday meal. Service noticeably worse than two weeks previously. Preferred time apparently not available now as two large parties already booked at that time. OK so booked later time but re- booked day or two later for an hour before party booking as better for us and we were told, for them. But service on the night very rushed. Two course meal served and cleared away in 50 minutes! Main course arrived immediately first course was cleared away and main course cleared away as some of us were putting our utensils down (we were asked if it was ok to clear away, in fairness by a waiter with their hands already on the plate!). Poor attention to detail on presentation. Despite explanation on phone that "too busy" for our original booking, "walk-ins" were being accepted. and served as party booking began to arrive. Would have said something at time but difficult to attract attention to pay the bill. Very rushed and not at all the relaxing time we had enjoyed two weeks previously and hoped for this time. Disappointing.

3  Thank Ted G
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Eaten here many times and have usually had good good and friendly, efficient staff but sometimes lacked the "wow" factor.
However this time the experience was excellent. The food was top notch and service could not be improved. There is also a wide choice of cask ales and extensive wine list.
The Fox maintains a good standard and can be relied on to please.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

En-route back home and drove past here so decided to pop in for lunch. What a good choice! We had excellent service - we were dealt with by 3 members of staff the time we were there and ALL of them were attentive, friendly and efficient! We only wanted something light - and as there is a light bites menu between 12 and 3 as well as the main menu this was fine. Plenty of choice as well. I chose the sweet chilli chicken ciabatta and my husband the cheese and onion pie - both off the lighter menu. The food arrived and was extremely tasty and filling. I succumbed and had the honeycomb cheesecake which was absolutely devine!! The surroundings were lovely, a large pub and plenty of tables but plenty of room between them which is a change! There is a garden room also which can be hired out for special occasions. All in all, a wonderful lunch, at a reasonable price - 2 mains, 1 dessert and 2 drinks for £22. I think anyone who complains like previous reviews about the burgers I suggest you go to McDonalds - I really do not think how anyone can complain about this place.