The Yorkshire Grey Inn
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, British
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a country pub offering home cooked value for money food. As from January 2014 we will be offering authentic american BBQ and american craft beers. We will still be operating our popular 2 courses for £10 lunch menu. In the evening our a la carte menu and on a Sunday our normal roasts.
Reviewed April 25, 2014

When we arrived, we were greeted by a very friendly and welcoming lady behind the bar. The bar and restaurant were pleasant. The menu was full of both classics and interesting dishes with lots of choice. Our meals were all well cooked and presented. Portion sizes were good and excellent value. Will no doubt return again soon.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

My family and I visited the Yorkshire Grey on Bank Holiday Monday, and were the only people in the pub for the majority of the time. Maybe it was the bank holiday hangovers keeping people in their homes, but I couldn't understand why there weren't more bookings. The menu was interesting and imaginative, but with classics available too - my brother had some delicious lamb tagine whereas I had amazing fish and chips, portions were generous and all reasonably priced. The lady behind the bar was really friendly, and made our visit really special. They also have a huge beer garden, so I will definitely be back in the summer for a cider or two.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Various members of our family have visited the Yorkshire Grey Pub over the last five years or so, when we first discovered this delightful pub by chance after missing our exit on the motorway. We have dined, lunched and "sandwiched" there under both the old and new management. In December 2013 we celebrated my mother's 90th birthday there. Before booking we were slightly nervous on that occasion as there seemed to be a few bad reviews. We need not have worried, we had a marvellous time , superb food and excellent service. I returned with my mother the other evening for dinner and once again had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. The house Merlot is first class (smooth, mellow and fruity), service is attentive, without being intrusive, and above all friendly. Our meals were excellent :- the gammon for my mother, liver and onions for me, perfectly cooked, with generous servings. I notice that some reviewers complain about the "wait" to receive their food - you can't have it both way folks. Either it is ready prepared (and probably predelivered) and bunged in a microwave from start to finish and you can have it in 5 minutes, or it is freshly cooked for you. I know which we prefer. Presumably if you have gone out for a meal you want to enjoy the whole experience, which might include a conversation with others. The desserts were also excellent.
If you like tiny portioned overpriced nouvelle cuisine, paying for whipped up mousses of fresh air or microwaved ready food, then this place is not for you. However, if you like a friendly atmosphere, beautiful surroundings and well cooked "straightforward" food at reasonable prices then this is the place for you. We ate in the bar this time, but it is spacious, with decent sized tables (unlike some pubs) so that eating out here still feels like an occasion. No, all the infamous purple has not yet gone, but what is more important ? Rome wasn't built in a day and I am sure we have all been to restaurants and pubs where the decor is amazing but the food is rubbish. It is costly to refurbish and I think the owner has her priorities right. I hope many more people passing through from Tewksbury to Worcester and living in the area will see past some of the snobby reviews and pay a visit to the Yorkshire Grey, you will be glad that you didi.

Amanda M, Owner at The Yorkshire Grey Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear Visitor

It was so nice to meet you and your mother again glad you enjoyed your food.

Thank you for your review, it is much appreciated that you have taken the time to write it and the support & encouragement behind the sentiment.

So thanks again and see you next time

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Based on what I had read in the reviews and the glimpse of the website menu before it was changed, we were looking forward to sampling the new menu and looking forward to the hospitality of the new owner.

We were disappointed. He décor has not changed as much as the website may suggest. Some of the purple paint has gone but the chairs, carpet, blinds curtains and other décor is all the same. Hardly the change we were expecting. The building is also run down and in need of repair/rejuvenation such as painting windows. Also noted that a window has not been cleaned since we were last there which was possibly a year ago.

We arrive at midday and had to wait while the menu was printed before we could order! This was just two sides of A4 paper stapled together. So far I could live with all of this as after all it is the food that counts.

We opted for the 2 courses for £10 option and both ordered lasagne for the main with lemon meringue and choc fudge cake for dessert. The main was very disappointing being very dry. Essentially it was a large tray baked lasagne that had been cut into a portion placed in a dish and reheated (only just warm) in a microwave (I suspect). The chips however were excellent and plentiful. The desserts on the other hand were a complete revelation. All are made in house and the two we chose were very, very good.

Speed of service was good given that only one person was serving the 5 tables that were in. The cliental has not changed much either and is at the upper end of the age spectrum and this could put some people off.

I wish the new owners all the best, but on the basis of this visit they have a lot of work to do before we visit again.

Amanda M, Owner at The Yorkshire Grey Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Visitor

Thank you for your review and perhaps I would suggest that if you were unhappy you should have said so at the time and then we could rectify a problem to help improve your visit. It is difficult to gauge a response when empty plates are returned.

As for the Decor we have made a start but this is going to be a long process. The pub previously was not very well maintained and money has had to be spent in other area which the customer doesn't see. So thank you for your best wishes and we will continue our long task.

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Should have read the warning signs as we entered the restaurant. Went to the bar to order a round of drinks to find the bar area absolutely cluttered with dirty glasses which looked as if they had been there from the night before. Table was booked for 3:30 we eventually went and sat down at 3:50. The room we were eating in was not the main restaurant area and was an off shoot of the bar area which was lifeless and cold. Now the food. Were told straight away that there was no beef or lamb left just pork. We didn't order any starters but had a couple of side orders of "cheesy garlic bread". This could only be described as 1 round of cheese on toast and wasn't presented very well and cost £2. When the main meals eventually arrived (about 45 minutes later) The vegetables were served on a separate plate which were cold and the "Gloucester Pork" was definitely not a fresh pork loin was more like the cheap processed rolled pork joint you get in the supermarkets for a couple of quid!! and there was only 2 small slices of this on the plate! Not good value at all. Stuffing and Yorkshire puddings were both undercooked. Never once during the meal were we asked if everything was ok. When we complained at the end of the meal all the owner could say was "sorry we are really busy". Does that mean the quality of food should be sub standard just because your busy? We were told the pork was cold because its been stood under the heating lamps in the kitchen for 3 hours. Not good at all. Will definitely not be going back anytime soon.

5  Thank Richard H

Dear Visitor

Thank you for your review I spoke to you on the day