“Great evening! Go there!”
Review of The Yorkshire Grey Inn - CLOSED

The Yorkshire Grey Inn
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a country pub offering home cooked value for money food. As from January 2014 we will be offering authentic american BBQ and american craft beers. We will still be operating our popular 2 courses for £10 lunch menu. In the evening our a la carte menu and on a Sunday our normal roasts.
london
“Great evening! Go there!”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Having been here several times before under the previous management this was the restaurant my mother chose to celebrate her 90th birthday. Having read some recent reviews which seemed imply that standards had deteriorated under the new management, we hoped she wouldn't be disappointed. We needn't have worried. The service was welcoming & friendly & when I explained that I had a surprise cake outside in the car, one of the members of staff came out with me to the cold car park. waited in the rain while I got the cake, took me in through a back door so I could put the candles on it in secret & then whisked it off to the kitchen until needed. My mother started with the pate which she said was delicious & although she said she'd have liked more toast, she didn't mention this until the plates were being cleared or I'm sure it would have been forthcoming. My brother & I had the prawn & salmon starter which looked wonderful & tasted fresh & delicious. I think my sister was a bit disappointed with her whitebait as felt it wasn't freshly prepared but enjoyed it nonetheless. The pie I had for my main course was one of the best I've ever eaten & the accompanying vegetables were cooked to perfection.......not that dreadful al dente which usually means undercooked. I can't remember what everyone else ate for their main courses but we were all extremely happy with our choices & the same goes for the puddings which, again, were beautifully presented & tasted fresh & delicious. When we ordered coffee the waitress perfectly interpreted my furtive signals & within minutes the lights had gone out & the cake was brought forth, candles lit ready for us all to sing Happy Birthday. The whole evening was a total success & a lovely experience. This restaurant manages to combine a friendly but totally efficient service, with a relaxed but elegant atmosphere & importantly,a menu to die for. The choice of food is impressive & certainly if our food was anything to go by, all perfectly cooked & presented. The final surprise came with the bill which was far less than expected, not least as this included our drinks on arrival & a bottle of house red. I cannot praise this restaurant highly enough & not just because they made my mother's 90th birthday meal such a success but because it was unbelievable to see that even on a Saturday night close to Christmas, it was only half full. I live in London but shame on you people of Worcester, give this restaurant your support. you wont be disappointed!!

• Visited December 2013
Amanda M, Owner at The Yorkshire Grey Inn, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Deborah

Thank you for your review we are so glad your mother enjoyed her 90th Birthday with us and that we did not disappoint you on such a special occasion. We were all amazed at how great your mother looks for her age.

During the summer The Yorkshire Grey went into administration, prior to its closure it traded as an up market fine dining restaurant, targeting a small minority of clientele. When we took over the Grey we felt that for the long term future of the business to be successful we would need to cast our net wider to appeal to a broader market.
We made the decision to create a more relaxed feel and decided that we would operate as a country pub offering good food cooked from scratch unlike many of the managed microwave pubs we have local to us.

Our supply chain remains the same as the previous management so we have not compromised on quality we have just tried to set prices at a more realistic and affordable level.

With reference to pass reviews claiming standards had deteriorated under the new management , whilst I appreciate their opinion it is not be financially viable to operate in a similar fashion to the old management. The quality of food on offer is of equal standard and really the majority of changes are price and ambiance.

So thank you for your review and hope to see you again soon.

Worcester, England
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We've been here before, but under a previous set of owners the food became really expensive. Driving past on a Saturday night just before Christmas, we noticed that the car park wasn't full, so we popped in and asked to see the menu. Finding main courses starting with 7s and 8s rather than 14s and 17s, we decided to stay and have dinner. We weren't disappointed. I had a nice fishcake to start, then we both had chicken and bacon salad which was delicious. My wife finished with one of the largest chocolate brownies she'd seen! All very reasonable...and shame on the group of 14 people who had booked for the restaurant that night and didn't turn up. On the basis of our experience, they missed a treat.

• Visited December 2013
Dear Customer

Thank you for taking the time to review us. Glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Wow”
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We went for a glass of wine and ended up eating the menu looked great. We had a lovely 3 course meal which tasted beautiful. The service was great and the staff very friendly. Would definately return

1 Thank Marc221081
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic, friendly, home from home”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We visited the beautifully decorated Yorkshire Grey by chance as we drove past on the way back from Upton upon Severn. We were greeted at the door and made to feel extremely welcome. The service was very friendly and efficient..we felt like we'd visited an old family friend! The food was prompt and delicious and we will be visiting again when we are next in the area.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank kelbel79
worcs
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A once beautiful restaurant ruined”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Having dined at the Yorkshire Grey for nearly 14 years we had become used to but still looked forward to delicious food and fantastic service. On our recent visit we experienced neither of those. Firstly a lady with glasses perched on top of her head took us to our table before our friends had arrived. Usually we enjoy a drink in the bar first. The restaurant was cold so much i didn't take my coat off until I'd ordered. There were no longer any table cloths on the tables just slate table mats and a candle, not all of which were lit. Our friend ordered a Campari to which the lady said she had no idea what that was and when she found a bottle of it, tried some with a teaspoon and said it tasted like cough mixture. After we'd ordered our food we asked if a wine list was available. This was a sheet of laminated paper. When the lady with the glasses on her head bought our bottle of wine she said she couldn't work out how to use the cork screw and could one of us open it. When given the bottle back she said she'll leave it on the table for us to help ourselves! The food can only be described as nothing more than good. Too much garlic spoilt my baked cammenbert, the mixed grill was far too big resulting in food waste. As we drank our coffee most of the lights were turned off. When we asked the waitress if they were waiting for us to leave (We were the last of 4 tables in that Saturday evening) she said she thought it was too bright. The restaurant used to be pretty, comfortable and welcoming, now it's just dull, untidy and cold. We will not return.

1 Thank chevkaz