“A once beautiful restaurant ruined”
Review of The Yorkshire Grey Inn - CLOSED

The Yorkshire Grey Inn
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, British
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a country pub offering home cooked value for money food. As from January 2014 we will be offering authentic american BBQ and american craft beers. We will still be operating our popular 2 courses for £10 lunch menu. In the evening our a la carte menu and on a Sunday our normal roasts.
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Having dined at the Yorkshire Grey for nearly 14 years we had become used to but still looked forward to delicious food and fantastic service. On our recent visit we experienced neither of those. Firstly a lady with glasses perched on top of her head took us to our table before our friends had arrived. Usually we enjoy a drink in the bar first. The restaurant was cold so much i didn't take my coat off until I'd ordered. There were no longer any table cloths on the tables just slate table mats and a candle, not all of which were lit. Our friend ordered a Campari to which the lady said she had no idea what that was and when she found a bottle of it, tried some with a teaspoon and said it tasted like cough mixture. After we'd ordered our food we asked if a wine list was available. This was a sheet of laminated paper. When the lady with the glasses on her head bought our bottle of wine she said she couldn't work out how to use the cork screw and could one of us open it. When given the bottle back she said she'll leave it on the table for us to help ourselves! The food can only be described as nothing more than good. Too much garlic spoilt my baked cammenbert, the mixed grill was far too big resulting in food waste. As we drank our coffee most of the lights were turned off. When we asked the waitress if they were waiting for us to leave (We were the last of 4 tables in that Saturday evening) she said she thought it was too bright. The restaurant used to be pretty, comfortable and welcoming, now it's just dull, untidy and cold. We will not return.

1  Thank chevkaz
There are newer reviews for The Yorkshire Grey Inn

Reviewed November 5, 2013

When I first went in, I stopped at the bar for just a refreshing Coke and something to eat before heading home from work.
Coke in hand I sat down at a table, Ordered a a bowl of soup, Broccoli and Stilton was on the menu.
Pleased at the speed and flavor of said soup, I payed for the soup, reasonably cheap too.
Dropped in a tip and went on my way home.
Clearly recommended

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

myself and my partner just got back from what can only be described as a TGI meal only worse. His bbq pork was like a cheap nasty frozen thrown in the oven thing and my steak cooked medium rare had no flavour and was as tough as old boots very disappointing not like it used to be will NEVER go back again

Amanda M, Owner at The Yorkshire Grey Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Visitor

I am Sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us and am just saddened that you choose to post your review on Tripadvisior instead of giving us the opportunity to deal with any grievances face to face.

You were checked on during your meal and you replied that every thing was OK. As I am sure you can appreciate issue arise from time to time in every catering establishment and many business owners would be more than happy to resolve any problems should they be given the opportunity to do so. This also allows the owner to change the negative perception the visitor may have, before that visitor leaves the premises.

We thank you for your comments however we would suggest that next time you let someone know if your not happy and give them chance to rectify the issue.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Very pleasant lunch at a sensible price. Could choose 2 courses for just £10 pp. Sausage, mash, peas and onion gravy were nice. Vegetable lasagne, salad and garlic bread also met with approval. Puddings were just as good. Service was very good, the waitress attentive. Owner (?) was also around and made the effort to make conversation and thank us for our custom. I would go back for lunch without hesitation.

1  Thank Hazel S
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Return visit ,food excellent,service top quality.
Another great night with friends from birmingham we were all made to feel as if we eat here every day.The food was slow getting to the table but well worth the wait.But it is all freshly cooked not microwaved so maybe this is why.Wine very cheap and real ale top notch.
Another visit with friends already being planned.
Thanks to the landlady and all the staff
Excellent