“Our favourite by a mile”
Review of The Red Hart

The Red Hart
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Kington
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The trouble with this restaurant and the staff....is.... nothing else measures up ... We have been ruined for eating anywhere else.... We do try and eat in other local restaurants/pubs but we are always heard to say " .... not as good as The Red Hart though" .... Gabi and Darren please stop being so amazing as the only time we are truly happy is with you guys.... variety is supposed to be the spice of life..... but not if you have eaten at the Red Hart... nowhere else will do!!!! Quite simply the best.......YOU MUST NEVER LEAVE!!! Helen and Tim x

1  Thank Helen L
THE_RED_HART, Owner at The Red Hart, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Helen and Tim,

I could say so many beautiful things about you being our regular customers, but sometimes words are not enough to say about your feelings, so I will be very short this time, just saying THANK YOU FOR BEING OUR NICE AND CONFIDENT CUSTOMERS!

Gabi and Darren x

There are newer reviews for The Red Hart

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Could be our new favourite pub/restaurant around Worcester. Really excellent food, very friendly and attentive service. Throughly recommend it. We had a lovely table by the fire and the ambience was great. Wonderful French Onion soup - you have to try it. (The nut roast - not so much, but the veg were superb.) Beef is cooked to perfection - just a rest place to go and eat. You won't get much better in or around Worcester. On a par with The Marwood in Worcester and Fusion Brasserie, at Stoulton on the road to Pershore.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were dining in the Red Hart at the same time as these dinners and saw this incident at it happened. We feel we must put a response as we found this whole experience very embarrassing it makes us ashamed to see staff treated so badly.
We do not know if the foreign object was found in the food or not, but from the outset the dinners attitude was both threating and derogatory. What they called the Landlady behind her back we cannot repeat.
We did not hear the Landlady raise her voice once, the dinners were not interested in the apology she offered, but 3 of them raised their voices to ensure everyone in the pub could hear them complaining, threating to put a bad review on Trip Advisor, our feelings were they clearly saw this as an opportunity for a free lunch.
We can only speak from our experience when eating at the Red Hart, which has always been very enjoyable we have never had a problem with the food, and the staff are always friendly and efficient.

2  Thank Our_view999

Dear Our_view999,

Many thanks for putting this kind review and supporting me in front of this page readers that I am NOT a horrible person or God knows how did they call me behind my back.
All of us we are different personalities ... and probably most of the people knows, me like the landlady I am not English, but there is a saying in Hungary: "The first 7 years in your life will give you to have the Manor and respect for other people" ... which luckily I have had it from my parents.
Anyway, thank you again and see you soon here in The Red Hart!

Gabriella Stocker

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Visited on 18th January as we had 2 good friends visiting us for the weekend and we decided to treat them to a nice pub lunch together with my 2 year old daughter. Had visited about 5 years ago for dinner and the food and service had been superb, so I thought we should be guaranteed a lovely lunch out!

We were seated by a very polite member of staff and shown the menus and we all chose sandwiches and fries from the light bites lunch menu. We decided not to order for my daughter and said she could share some of our food, and the landlady kindly bought her a little plate. When the food arrived, it was all well-presented and appeared to be of a very high quality, we were impressed and were looking forward to tucking in! However, near the end of the meal, when 2 of us had already finished, one of my friends bit into one of the last few bites of her cheese and pickle sandwich and began chewing suspiciously….. She then extracted a piece of hard clear plastic from her mouth which was approximately a 1 inch triangle in size (please see photos). It looked as if it could have been the broken corner from a clear margarine tub, and as such was obviously extremely sharp around all edges. My friend (and the rest of us) were horrified, and she and my husband and felt unable to finish the last few bites of their lunch. I was horrified, and even more concerned that my daughter who was sharing could have bitten into this and cut her mouth.

I called over the waiter and discretely showed him the plastic. He said he would let the chef know. 10 minutes passed and the chef did not appear, the waiter did not reappear and no apology had been made. We were annoyed by this complete disregard to a customer’s welfare! My husband therefore decided to go and find the landlady or speak to the kitchen staff to ensure no other guests were going to be subject to foreign objects in their food. He took the plate with the offending plastic item and disappeared so as to be discrete and not offend any other customers who were enjoying their Saturday lunches.

What happened next defies all expectations of customer service and common courtesy! Whilst my husband was still away from the table a lady (who I can only presume was the landlady) appeared at our table and wildly shrieked ‘Whose husband has just come to the kitchen?’ I said it was my husband to which she then started ranting at us that he had said he did not want to pay for any of the food. She then grabbed a knife from the table, opened my husband’s sandwich remains and started jabbing at them with a knife shouting ‘Is there any plastic in this one?’ She then shouted at us that two of us had finished our sandwiches so the food could not have been too bad. I explained that we had finished before the plastic had been found. We were completely mortified, as by this time several other tables had turned to stare at us and witness the evolving commotion being caused! I explained that we were upset as no-one had even come over to apologise or come to find out about the plastic in our food. I explained that my daughter could have eaten the plastic and hurt her mouth. To this she shouted that my daughter had not eaten the sandwich and then proceeded to irrationally rant ‘Has nothing bad ever happened on your life!’ We were incredulous at this point that we were been treated in such an appalling manner because we had found a foreign object in our food and had dared to mention it! She then said ‘Fine, don’t pay for anything then’ and stormed off, leaving us open mouthed and aghast! My husband then returned, closely followed by this woman again who told us ‘I am bringing the bill, you are paying for 3 sandwiches!’ Again this irrational behaviour was now being watched by the entire restaurant!

The sheepish waiter then appeared with the bill and said ‘I don’t know what’s been arranged, but I’ve been told to bring your bill’. I explained that after being completely humiliated in front of an entire restaurant, I would only be willing to pay half the bill,. The waiter then re-appeared and said this would be acceptable. This ‘landlady’ did not appear gain, she did not bring the bill or take payment, but sent one of her poor unassuming staff members to do it for her. We wished the waiter luck and offered him our condolences for having to work for such a seemingly erratic boss.

If you are looking for nice food, (with a risk of contaminated objects of course!) then this is the restaurant for you. If you are looking for decent customer service and somewhere where you will not be treated like a second class citizen then stay well clear, this is definitely not the place for you!

1  Thank Koola999
THE_RED_HART, Owner at The Red Hart, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Koola999,
Thank you for your review, I have been waiting for this anyway..
What I can say regarding to your review: Me, like the landlady I DID APPOLOGISE for the piece of plastic You have found in your meal (definitely not from the kitchen) I did offer you another meal (which you refused). You have finished eating 100% two of the sandwiches and nearly finished eating the other two ones, having four drinks ... and after saying you are not paying for anything? Not for drinks, not for food ... How is that works?
The table next to you (my regular customers) been horrified with the manor you have been talking to me ...but here we are...
Have a nice day!
Gabriella Stocker

Reviewed January 26, 2014

After a break of nearly 2 years a group of us ate here again last Friday night. 8 of us had great food, great service and good value. The bill was £30 per head including the tip, but we didn't skimp on food or drinks and I thought this was fine considering the portion sizes.

Highly recommended.