“Service Problems, Again”

Marriott St. Louis Airport
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed October 20, 2009

After a fairly bad service experience at this hotel a couple of years ago, I decided to give it another try when business took me back to St. Louis.

I was again disappointed in the hotel. My check-in was very slow. When I got to my room, it had completely broken curtains -- they didn't close and a very bright light from the parking lot was shining all over my room. When I called to explain the problem, the operator quickly got exasperated and told me I needed to use the room darkening curtains, not the sheer curtains. Duh -- it was the room darkening curtains that were broken. I requested a new room. It took the staff over 20 minutes to deliver my new room keys. While they upgraded me to the executive floor as an apology for the inconvenience, I still find the slow response annoying.

I ordered room service for dinner. While the meal was good, the wait was over 45 minutes long.

My room (once I got one with curtains that closed!) was the remodeled Marriott room (only one tower has remodeled rooms -- ask for those) and was very nice.

Overall, however, after two poor service experiences at this property, I'll stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed October 20, 2009

I'm a Marriott Rewards customer and usually stay at Marriott properties. While decent, this hotel is not up to par with what I would expect from Marriott. It is obviously dated and could use some serious refurbishment. The rooms are on the small side. Nothing special. Don't come here expecting a top-notch experience. As soon as I got there, I realized that I would have to pay $12.95 for internet access. I can get it for free at a Motel 6. Another gripe is the $9 per night for parking. Ouch !

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Shuttle was at airport when I exited, and at hotel when I needed to go back. 8 minutes door to door. Stayed 4 nights and was completely comfortable. Would have liked mini fridge and microwave in room, but Cafe.net made up for it. Could check email free, get a mini bottle of wine with a built in glass, and a cappucino plus scone or yogurt, all for OK prices. Tomato bisque soup in restaurant was a winner. Banquet fare was uneven, but wait staff really tried. Pool was delightfully warm, exercise room large. Only real objection to location was no place to walk. But stay was very enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Stayed on a Saturday night before an early Sunday flight out of town. A double room for about $80 was a great deal just a few blocks from rental car return area. Room was spacious and clean with nice bathroom. Though adjacent to airport, aircraft noise was nonexistent. Welcoming lobby. Nice enough restaurant but pricey. Two meat sauce bolognaise, glass of wine, glass of root beer, and slices of cheese and chocolate cake ran $67 before tip. Two breakfast buffets that included order-your-own waffle or omelet ran $45. It reminded me of going to a movie and buying their popcorn and candy. Service was decent and staff was friendly. An in-lobby shop had pastry, fruit, yogurt, etc. when on the run.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank broosek
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I have been to way too many hotels to remember. The Marriott St. Louis Airport is truly one to forget and not stay again. Even as a Marriott Gold member, what I got for a price that should have been half of what it was:
- shuttle service from the airport that took 25 min to arrive
- a tiny hotel room - in size worthy of a 3rd class motel (but: clean)
- a bathroom that you could almost not turn around in - the bathroom door honestly was not wide enouch for my shoulders (at 6'1" and 230 lbs, i'm a bit overweight, but i have never seen such narrow doors)
- TV sounds from the next room
- shower sound from the next room as if it was mine
- a 'Tavern' and a 'Grille' that had the charme of a bus station
- a Marriott Concierge lounge with blaring TV's, no room to relax
- a business center which charges you $6.95 per 15 minutes for internet access !!!

So, stay away if you can. My guess is that the Renaissance will be a better place by 100 % for 25 % less cost.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Handicapped room was small, but the bathroom was very big with a roll in shower. Other accessible rooms had small bathrooms and larger rooms. be sure to ask about what your needs are. Beds were awesome, very comfy, felt like heaven. Internet costs 12.95 a day, I wasn't paying that, the business center had 15 minutes of free internet, longer it cost 6.95. Ouch!! The food was excellent in the restaurant but very expensive. Staff was friendly and accommadating. Parking was 9.00 a day

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2009

This was my second stay at the Marriott St. Louis Airport and I was pleased with the experience for the second time. I wasn't bothered by the noise of the planes taking off and my son used earplugs and said he slept fine. This is a huge hotel and can be hard to navigate. All the hallways look alike and it can be a long walk from the elevator to your room and a challenge to find your way out again. We recommend that you ask for a room near a stairway, then take that down to an exterior door near which you can park your car if you have one. The restaurant service is excellent and the food good. The breakfast buffet is pricey ($16.00) but if you want to load up on calories you won't be disappointed. Internet is $12.50/day.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Hilton St. Louis Airport
Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel
Hampton Inn St. Louis-Airport
Drury Inn St. Louis Airport
Hilton Garden Inn St Louis Airport
Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport

Been to Marriott St. Louis Airport? Share your experiences!