“One night stay”

Marriott St. Louis Airport
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I arrived at the airport at 9:30 at night and waited for the Marriott shuttle until 10:10. They come every 20 minutes and I missed one getting to the Hotel Shuttle area! The front desk clerk was wonderful and told me all my options for getting a meal as well as directions to my room. It was a long walk to the Marquis Tower but worth it. The room was very comfortable and roomy. Everything was clean and the bed was awesome. I ended up ordering room service (till 11pm) and thought the crabcakes and salad were delicious. After a good nights rest I had breakfast in the concierge lounge which was well worth the extra room charge. They had coffee, juices, sodas, water, eggs, bacon, fresh fruit and all the other breakfast items with a gorgeous views of the airport runways. On my way to check out, the construction in the lobby was obvious and looks like it will be quite nice. As I was checking out the bellman asked if I was taking the shuttle and whisked my luggage away...very nice service. I would stay here again. Everyone I interacted with was very friendly and professional. As a woman travelling alone, I felt very comfortable , and safe here.

Room Tip: Marquis Tower and Concierge floors are terrific but more expensive.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Bob L, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for the positive review!! We are truly happy you enjoyed your visit with us and look forward to your return. We especially like the comments about your clean and comfortable room!

We will share your comments with the team and celebrate your experience.

314-253-5155 Direct Line

Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed May 22, 2013

EASY TO GET TO. If you haven't been to St Louis lately, you might not be aware of the extensive changes to public transportation. We took a train from Chicago (a welcome change from the usual flights), and arrived in downtown St. Louis. We tried to get a taxi but everyone directed us to the train (which was similar to an above-ground subway or metro train). For $2 or $3 it will take you directly to the airport (just pay after you enter your ticket info; it doesn't ask for pymt). This hotel is literally right around the corner. It's large enough that the airport shuttles are frequent. Accordingly, I'd rate this hotel as good for both the airport, and access to the city.
CLEAN ACCOMMODATIONS. We also stayed while renovations were underway, but that shows that the hotel is continuing to invest in upgraded facilities. The rooms were just fine. Quiet and clean.
MEALS. We ate at the hotel restaurant several times. It wasn't inexpensive but the quality was Excellent - chef grade. We ordered off menu a few times, and they were accommodating and quick. The quality of the food (and convenience) justified the price.
COST. You can get an acceptable price, but expect to pay an additional room tax of about 20% on top.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Bob L, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for the 5 STAR REVIEW!!! We are incredibly pleased you enjoyed your time with us and noticed the improvements underway to deliver the best possible experience.

Your comments about the public transportation are also right on target. The easy and inexpensive access to downtown makes us a perfect choice for anyone attending a sporting event, concert or taking a trip to visit the ARCH!!

We hope to see you again soon and thank you for the kind comments.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Got an extra $120 that you don't need for your trip? If so, stay here! This hotel holds a whopping $40 a day for incidentals. We were not made aware of this until at check in. We expressed our dislike upon deaf ears at the front desk. We went to our room, which was a corner room, and it was very dated. The bathroom was the worse. I have NEVER stayed in a hotel where there was exposed pipes AND with the toilet paper dispensor hidden underneath the counter (see pics). I had to search for it. I expected so much better from a Marriott. The hotel is under a much needed renovation in the entrance and lobby area. It seem like it will be very nice when finished.

Later that night my husband and I were still very displeased with the amount being held for incidentals and decided to speak with another staff member at the front desk. His name was Zach and he was very professional, apologized for our inconvienece and accommodated us with free breakfast during our stay. The staff in the restuarant were very nice (especially the manager) and the breakfast was good.

Before checking out my husband's ring was displaced so I got on the floor with a flashlight to look for it. Guess what I found under the edge of the bed......wait for it.....part of a condom wrapper. YUCK!!!!!! !!!!! This was a clear indication that the room had not been cleaned before our arrival. Another indication was someone's dry-cleaned clothes hanging in the closet when we got there.

The last downfall of this hotel is the $10 a day it charges guest for parking. Neighboring hotels do not charge. My advice, is to go there!

Room Tip: If the hotel will not give you a remodeled room (not sure if they are available) go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob L, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We will use the information you provided to improve our operation as we are deeply frustrated with your visit.
Please kindly note security deposits are used by hotels to provide the convenience of charging items to your room rather than paying for each service individually. Your credit card is authorized, not charged, and the unused amount is released from the hold. We apologize this common practice inconvenienced you.
Lastly, each full service hotel in the St Louis airport market charges for the convenience of self-parking in a secured lot. If you choose to visit us again, we will gladly waive the $10 per day charge.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

The St. Louis Airport Marriott is undergoing a major lobby renovation. Rating this hotel is a bit like rating a romantic comedy halfway 45 minutes into the movie. You know it should end well, but you can't evaluate until the credits start rolling. Since the lobby refresh is still in process, my evaluation reflects the areas outside the lobby and how the hotel managed the situation.

My wife and I selected the hotel because of proximity to I-70 and pet-friendly accommodation. The hotel is less than 100 yards from the I-70 exit, so it could not have been more convenient. We arrived at 10:30pm and immediately noticed that the covered entrance was closed due to construction. The prospect of unloading infant, dog, and bags in a steady downpour was daunting. This was just a passing thought, as the bellman arrived moments later with umbrella in tow. The gentleman took care of the bags, while we proceeded to check in. The amiable front desk associated noticed that we were only staying one night and waved the $10 parking fee and $50 pet fee. This was a welcome gesture to offset the inconvenience of a non-existent lobby.

The room was located in the tower furthest from the lobby. The furnishings were standard Marriott - work space, lounge chair and ottoman, flat screen television, and reading lamps. The décor was also the standard Marriott red and cream hues. My only reservation about the room was the square footage. I've discovered that the older Marriott properties have small guest rooms. My recent visit to Omaha - another early generation Marriott - revealed a similar plight. With the baby crib and dog, the room was rather crowded. If this was a solo overnight business trip I would not have an issue.

My elite Marriott status earned us access to the concierge lounge. The morning breakfast included a mix of eggs, bacon, oatmeal, and continental fare. The were a variety of fresh fruit options, more than I've encountered at other Marriott properties.

Regarding construction, I did not hear a sound from my third floor room. In fact, I didn't even know the crew was working until I arrived on the first floor. The noise reverberated throughout the hall, and I could barely hear the front desk associate in front of me. But my time in the lobby was 1% of the time I spent in the hotel. Once in the room, the construction was a non-factor.

Finally, the hotel service was exceptional. From the initial greeting by the bellman to the final farewell by a different bellman, the multiple associates I encountered were excellent hotel ambassadors. Both bellmen gave us their undivided attention and made us feel like VIP guests. The front desk associates were efficient and attentive. Hotels under construction typically suffer significant loss in revenue. I'm sure that this hotel is no different. Given the tenuous financial situation, many hotels try to nickel and dime their way through the construction, looking for any revenue opportunity. The employees at this hotel recognized that construction is an inconvenience. A simple gesture like waving hotel fees can go a long way toward minimizing the inconvenience, and it did in this case. While the hotel lost $60 in fees, they gained a customer who will most certainly return.

In summary, the hotel is "very good" for now. The lobby renovation will position this hotel for a higher rating. If this level of service remains in place, I am confident that the hotel will move from "very good" to the highly-coveted "excellent" rating.

Pros: Standard Marriott décor and furnishings, lobby refresh in progress

Cons: Small guest rooms compared to newer Marriott hotels

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Bob L, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for the positive 4 star review!! Your review is detailed and clearly demonstrates your knowledge and appreciation of service. We are glad we hit the mark and have gained you as a loyal customer.

We look forward to your return when our renovation is complete and wish you safe travels.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have to assume the bad reviews are based on the standard accommodations at this hotel; maybe my stay in their Marquis Tower gives me a better reason to rate this location as excellent. None of this is intended to sound pretentious--I am a Marriott Platinum Elite member and have an overall positive experience in frequent stays at various Marriott properties. However, the reason I chose to write this review is because no staff member who spoke to me in a friendly way knew my status. Each person went out of his or her way to be friendly and welcoming, without having any idea whether or not I had a concierge-level room or the 'deluxe room.' To me, the St. Louis Airport Marriott lived up to the Marriott reputation for quality and customer service.

Room Tip: I suspect the Marquis Tower gives you a better room, if given a choice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Bob L, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for the 5 Star Review!! We truly appreciate the comments and value your loyalty to Marriott.
Your comments will be shared and celebrated with the team and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Have not stayed at a Marriott for many years but business proximity necessitated this.

Events:
1. Checking in I was given a double bed, returning to the front desk I was reassigned a single king size as was indicated on my guaranteed reservation.
2. My second entry to my room the key failed, returning to the front desk I was directed to meet a technician at my room. Upon examination he determined the lock unit would need replacement but he said he had fixed it to last until the following morning IF I was careful in closing the door. The following morning I carefully closed the door leaving for the gym and returning I was not be able to enter the room. Returning to the front desk was escorted to my room by a technician and let in and assured it would be fixed upon my return from business.
3. Breakfast this morning after saying they did not have bagels I hear a knock on my door a half hour after the deliver with a service person saying from behind the door that he had the strawberries I had ordered. I declined.
4. Returning from business the door did work but the room had not been attended, coffee not replaced and most disturbing an abundance of long black hair had appeared in the sink, which I do not have.
5. Trying to watch the NBA playoffs tonight the only station that is out is Ch 13 (the playoffs).
6. Just had dinner delivered and the service person drops the ice water glass on the floor.

This has occurred within a landscape of caution tape, plywood and tarps, and what I am told is a lengthy remodeling, scheduled to be completed in phases.

The reason this is a POOR and not a TERRIBLE is that the staff here are very nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Your experience is not typical of the service we provide and we are frustrated you left with a negative impression of us. We take all opportunities for improvement very seriously and have already embarked on corrective measures based on your feedback.

We hope you will visit again soon and give us another opportunity to deliver the service we are known for. Please contact me directly prior to your next visit and I will personally ensure an error free stay.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Due to bad weather my connecting flight in STL was cancelled. The airline offered overnight lodging at a Days Inn 12 miles away -- I passed and called this nearby Marriott. They were extremely accommodating: their free shuttle van picked me up in 5 minutes, the young front desk clerk gave me a free hospitality kit (the airline still had my bag), room service delivered a tasty sandwich even though it was after their hours, and at checkout the manager gave me a discounted rate, and of course a free shuttle ride back to the airport early the next morning.

My room was clean and tidy with all the amenities you'd expect at a Marriott. I truly appreciate these kind folks for saving my night.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NickHeckel
Bob L, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for the 5 Star Review, we truly appreciate it!!
We're happy you chose us and that we were able to make your challenging trip memorable for positive reasons.

We hope you will choose us again soon.
314-253-5155 Direct

Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Downtown
Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark

Been to Marriott St. Louis Airport? Share your experiences!