“Worst Hotel Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Worst Hotel Experience”
Reviewed May 23, 2008

I would have been better off staying at a budget hotel. I would at least expected these conditions. My room, which was suppose to be a non-smoking room was not. I was put on a floor where they were doing construction so the carpet was ripped and furniture was piled in the hall. My room was gross. There were stains on the sheets and the carpet was greasy and matted. After further exploration I found the TV was static, the clock was hours ahead of time and the glasses were dirty.

I then went into the bathroom. Ewww, I found poop smears in the toilet bowl and pubic hair on the floor. I am still having nightmares.

After contacting the front desk about the conditions I was sent a guy to repair the tv. He could not and offered me a free breakfast. He also told me no one was suppose to be put in this room but I was never given the opportunity to change rooms.

The next morning I used my free breakfast and headed back to my room. I had an hour before I needed to be at the airport and decided to take a nap. It was 8:52 when the saw, hammers and a rasping sound started in the room above me.

I finely packed up and went to the airport early. I know what to expect there.

• Liked — It was close to the airport.
  • Disliked — It was dirty.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
St. Louis
Reviewed May 22, 2008

I booked the hotel through a "Stay-Park-Fly" website before I read the reviews here. My wife and I were flying out of St. Louis on an international flight that left at 0600. After reading the reviews I was very concerned about the reservation being incorrect, the condition of the room, and the service of the staff.

We arrived in the evening after dinner so we did not use the dining room. The reservation was correct and I was given the voucher for the long term lot which was located very conviently to the hotel. I could not hear any construction noise nor could I see any evidence that construction was underway. On the way to my room I did see some carpet in one of the hallways that was clearly worn but I didn't plan to sleep in the hallway so I did not see this as a major problem. The room was very clean and did have a working alarm clock and shower curtain. The bed was very comfortable.

Having been warned by some of the reviews I had read, I looked for problems and found none.

The shuttle to the airport is scheduled on the hour and every 20 minutes there after. We were in the lobby about 4:08, so I asked the person at the desk if the shuttle would be there at 4:20 - she responded by calling for the shuttle which took us to the airport immediately.

I must dessent from the common thread here and say that there were absolutely no problems with my stay - short as it was.

SHM

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — worn carpet in hallway
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
st louis
Reviewed April 22, 2008

We stayed at this location before we went out of town for our vaction. Not only did they screw up the reservations but they were very rude on top of it. The acted as if it was my fault that they over sold the hotel for the night. In addition to this our rooms were not complete. I did not have an alarm clock in my room or a phone to set a wake up call. We also did not have a shower curtain in the bathroom. Not to mention my friends had several knocks on their door from the room below because the tub in there room was leaking. This was also put to be our fault. This establishment is by far the absolute worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I have had better service in a motel 6. So if you choose to go to this hotel expect to be moved to another location or if you stay here expect rude service and an incomplete room. My suggestion do not stay here you will have better luck else where.

• Stayed April 2008
Kansas City Missouri
Reviewed March 23, 2008

We spent only one night here because we had to catch a very early flight. We were disappointed to discover that the hotel was being renovated, so the pool and hot tub weren't available. Hallways, rooms, bathrooms etc. were all in different stages of disrepair. We checked the website before we left, and there was no mention of the renovations or limited amenities. We didn't have a working clock in our room, and we did NOT receive our wake-up call! Positive things were that we had great service and a good meal in the restaurant for dinner, and received complimentary parking after we told the front desk about the problems before checking out. We won't stay here again.

• Liked — service in the restaurant
  • Disliked — pool/hot tub not available, no wake up call, no working clock in room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
CA
Reviewed February 12, 2008

I stayed at the St. Louis Airport Hilton for one night this past weekend after checking out of another hotel in a small town an hour and a half from St. Louis, so that I could return my rental car, and get some much needed rest before what was going to be a long travel day home. I booked through Hilton's 800 number the same day that I was going to arrive and was quoted a rate of $169. (for a Sunday night), which is much more than what I paid at the same property last spring. My stay there last spring was fine, the room was comfortable enough, but basically we were just there to get much needed rest before an early flight out (had two rooms)

THIS STAY: I chose this hotel because I wasn't feeling well and, as mentioned above, needed rest before my flight. Upon arrival things went smoothly, I had bell service stow my bags while I returned my rental car and the hotel sent a shuttle to pick me up at the rental car agency - same thing as the last stay there - the type of service one expects from Hilton.

The carpets in the halls were in terrible condition - dirty, in desperate need of stretching, and in some places there were big torn spots! They were like this last spring - I was surprised they weren't replaced yet.

My room was ok. The furnishings were decent, as were the bed linens, pretty good pillows and comforter. The mattress comfort was ok - better than the dump in the small town I'd come from - but not terrific. The binding on the mattress (or was it box spring?) was torn and hanging down - looked tacky and very un-Hilton.

The bathroom had that same outdated wallpaper shown in some of the photos other people have posted - but I got one better - due to the constuction going on at the property, the perimeter of the walls looked like it was in the middle of being repaired - baseboards were missing -the whole bottom of the bathroom walls were torn up and looked disgusting! But I was dead tired and ignored it.

I had planned to rest in my room until noon checkout, but was awakened by hammering. They gave me a room directly over a room going through construction! A little after 9:00am I ordered breakfast (decent) when it was delivered I asked the young man who brought my food to please ask the front desk to have the construction noise toned down for a bit (maybe work in another room), nothing changed and I continued listening to loud hammering and power tools.

At a little after 10:30 turned on the water in the tub for a shower and plumbers putty came out of the faucet! I called the front dest and they said they would switch me to another room. I packed my things, preparing to be moved. About 15 minutes later the engineer showed up and explained there were some problems with all the showers due to plumbers putty - I guess most were fixed except mine? BTW - he, like room service, also heard the construction noise in my room.

After my initial contact with the front dest ( and having to keep calling them to find out when I was going to be moved) I was finally given a new room around 11:30 - one with the old plumbing. The shower grout looked dirty and discolored. The lighting in the bathroom was horribly dim. The bottom of the bathroom walls were torn up like in my other room. The veneer on the bathroom door was peeling in big pieces (it looked BAD). The walls in the room looked dirty.

Upon leaving the property I complained to the manager on duty - her response - we have construction going on, I seriously doubt she could have cared less. Including taxes, I paid almost $200. to have one of the worst mornings I have had in a long time. I paid to stay in a room until noon - and I chose the Hilton expecting comfort and peace until checkout, not to listen to noise all morning and wait, packed, for 45 minutes just so I could take a shower.

I stayed at the Venetian in Las Vegas during construction - yes there is a certain amount of inconvenience on the property, but they price the rooms accordingly, and they certainly didn't place us in a room right next to the construction. Nor did any part of the room they gave us look like it was in the middle of construction.

We were planning on booking three rooms at this Hilton for several days in the spring, needless to say, that will not be happening. The only reason I am giving this hotel two stars instead of one, is because of the good service I received upon check in.

I have placed a complaint with Hilton regarding this issue.

• Liked — check in, location
  • Disliked — AM front desk, management, inconvenience, noise
  • Stayed February 2008
1 Thank kauinca
Alajuela, Costa Rica
Reviewed January 14, 2008

I was concerned after I got this hotel on Priceline (for a great rate) and then read the TripAdvisor reviews. I was even more concerned when I called the hotel directly to confirm the reservation. When I requested a room with two beds, I was told I would get what they wanted to give me because I booked on Priceline.

However, my concerns were for naught - the hotel is fine. We had a room in Tower 2, partially remodeled and with two beds. The staff at the front desk, as well as every other staff member I met were very friendly and helpful (unlike whoever was manning the phone the day I called). The room and bathroom were spotless, the beds were comfy (love those pillows), the amenities were good and my only possible complaint is I wish they had free wireless in the rooms. However, they do have it in the lobby, so that is a minor complaint at best. My early morning airport shuttle was quick and the driver was friendly and helpful as well.

Overall it was exactly what I needed and I would happily stay here again next time I have an early flight out of STL.

• Liked — Hilton amenities, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
Southington, CT
Reviewed December 7, 2007

My biggest issue with this hotel was with the food. Because I was there for a weekend conference, all of us were stuck eating their food. There are no other restaurants within walking distance. If you don't have a car, you are isolated there. Plus, with conference scheduling, there's no time to take the shuttle anywhere else for a meal. I will say that the banquet they held was tasty. But otherwise the food left a lot to be desired. Even my room service order was messed up (got the wrong thing entirely) but I didn't have time to re-order and, even though I complained and was told the breakfast would be comped, it was not.

• Liked — I got HHonors points, price, conference hotel
  • Disliked — The restaurant and room service -- quality and service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Marriott St. Louis Airport
Hilton Garden Inn St Louis Airport
Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel
Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport
Best Western St. Louis Inn
Best Western St. Louis Inn
#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry
Hampton Inn St. Louis-Airport

Been to Hilton St. Louis Airport? Share your experiences!