“Not up to Renaissance Standards” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel

Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
Houston, TX
“Not up to Renaissance Standards”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

This hotel is in a very convenient location to the airport and all of the car rental facilities. When you arrive, you can valet or park in the lots surrounding the hotel. I did think it was somewhat ridiculous that they charge 10/day for parking because the airport is in such a remote are with lots of land.
Front desk staff needed a little help - when I asked about the hours of the Concierge Lounge she looked at me weird and stared at her computer. Another staff member had to step in and explain that I was Gold and then she had to re-key the card for Lounge access.
The room was average - recently re-done, so there was a flat screen TV and extra large computer desk. Beds were comfy with plenty of pillows.
The lounge had plenty of offerings for evening snacks, fresh veggies the 1st night and some hot appetizers and cheese and crackers the 2nd night. Seems like a lot of Marriott properties have been cutting back in their lounges lately, but this one was OK.
Overall I gave it 4 stars - would stay again, but not the best Renaissance I have stayed at.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

Stayed at your hotel for a convention,it was lovely. Beautiful clean rooms,great food,easy
to find,close up parking. The staff was exceptional !! You tallk about a great buffet,WOW !
best mac & cheese i've ever tasted. Congrats to a well run hotel,thenk you very much.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Birmingham. AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

Spent nine nights here as part of a church-related convention, which paid most of my way (stayed last two nights on my own). Fortunate enough to score club-level suite. Gorgeous view of airport (my mom loves watching the planes). Heavenly beds. Club lounge is nice, with good breakfast in the morning and snacks and such at night. Very friendly staff, didn't miss a trick. Clean as a whistle. Handled an event with 160 or so teenagers and 500 overall attendees very well. Constant shuttle service to nearby Lambert, as well as its MetroRail stations. Despite proximity to Lambert, noise from takeoffs not really an issue unless it's a military aircraft. Lots of flight crews stay here, as you might expect. Also big on receptions and dinners - our second weekend saw four family reunions, a graduation ceremony for a local technical college, and a cotillion! Good banquet food, better than most.

Pros: Great staff. Very comfortable. Weekend rates can be very low for this class of hotel right now - our rates were in the $60s, not much more than a Super 8 a couple of blocks away. Indoor and outdoor pool.

Cons: You get dinged for a lot of things. Dining is expensive for what you get, and there are few other options aside from fast food nearby. They still charge for high-speed Internet, even at this late date, $12.95 a day with no discount for longer stays, but you can get free access at a computer downstairs by the front desk for a few minutes to quickly check e-mail or print out directions. There's also another computer by the front desk just for printing out boarding passes (nice touch). Parking is $10 a day, but that's probably to keep moochers from snagging free airport parking. Oh yeah - leave the water bottle along when you get into the room unless you like to pay a lot for it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank realkyhick
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

The Renaissance is probably one of the nicer hotels right near the airport. Very convenient location and the airport shuttle runs constantly. The room was modern, clean and spacious. My only complaints are that the air conditioner was really noisy and the walls very thin.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2009

I stayed at this hotel on June 25th during a business trip to St. Louis. I'm tough to please as I've been in the hotel industry as a General Manager, Sales Director and then with a Convention and Visitors Bureau more than 30 years. The service at the hotel was excellent, from the front desk to the restaurant staff to housekeeping. Marriott has high service standards but I think this hotel exceeded my expectations even for a Marriott.

I had a small committee that needed a place to meet for a few hours and, although the upper part of the restaurant was closed, they very happily accommodated us. When I could not access the hotel's wireless service, three people tried to assist me. As it turned out, it was a glitch in my computer not their service but they did everything they could to help.

One quick tip: If you like french onion soup - don't miss the onion soup in the hotel restaurant. It is, by far, the best I have ever had and, as onion soup is one of my favorites, I've had many, many bowls of french onion soup! Worth stopping at the hotel just to try it. A guest sitting at a table close to mine said that he "always has it when he is at the hotel and has it every day of his stay." I can see why. It was amazing.

The rooms are large and well appointed. I particularly like the desks. They are made with business travelers in mind. The electrical outlet and ports are right there at desk level. There's a lot of room for your computer and papers.

If you travel a great deal, you know how important it is to have a dark room when you are trying to sleep. In so many hotels, there's so much light coming in at night you might as well be sleeping during the day. The curtains in the rooms at the Renaissance have two light barriers and close completely. Beds are very comfortable. Pillows were ok but I like very soft pillows and you don't find those in hotels so I usually bring my own.

The rooms all have large screen, swivel HD televisions. Very nice!

The only issue I had during my stay was that I tried to use the video check-out, after receiving my bill (they slide it under your door in the early a.m.) and was not successful. I followed directions but could not find the correct place on the television screen to check-out. However, you can accomplish the same thing by simply calling the front desk and letting them know you are checking out.

Rooms were clean. Bathrooms were good sized and well appointed.

I had the breakfast buffet in the restaurant and it was very good. Runs about $15.00.

The room rate was very reasonable. Parking was $10.00 per day.

I would highly recommend this hotel to business travelers. My husband and I and our son have also stayed there before an early flight out of Lambert Airport.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
grand rapids
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Renaissance Airport Hotel and just loved the courtesy and kindness of everyone that works here. From taking our luggage up to the room, from changing our room so we could have a plane view of the airport, also bringing us a refrigerator for our room. We shopped at the St Louis Mills and the Galleria and loved both places. We got some really good deals and things we would'nt see in Michigan probably. We ate at Sweetie Pies both days both locations and loved the food...just if you go to St Louis go to Sweetie Pies!!!! We also hit up the Luminere Casino but no luck....maybe next time.

Reston, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

The rate we got was about half of what was posted on the inside of the door to our room as the standard rate - which felt good.

Part of the price that made this our hotel of choice was:

#1. Frequent stay points

#2. Free parking

#3. A coupon for $25. food credit

#4. Free internet usage

The problems with these things were:

A. Now the hotel's points program claims that reservations made through Hotels.com do NOT qualify as 'stays'. ?!? Imagine booking a flight and finding out as you land that you would get no milage for your travel. This is NOT acceptable.

B. No mention of the parking charge was "an oversight". Parking is $12/day. After a bit of a skirmish, they relented (for this disabled veteran) and removed the parking charges. Still, in a listing that clearly labels other charges - even a $20 fee if you bring your pet... 'forgetting' to mention parking charges is, say it with me, NOT acceptable!

C. The coupon said to surrender it at the front desk at check in. The front desk said to give it to the restaurant when ordering. The restaurant had never heard of it before - and, it seemed, had no idea what a coupon was - and, only after having the manager of the restaurant have a chat with the front desk manager did they decide they'd honor the coupon. After clearing our usage... the perplexed waiter made a point of asking everyone who entered afterwards - and the folks near us - who had mostly finished their breakfasts - if they too had any coupons to redeem. One family did and I was glad to have smoothed the road a bit for them... but it was still far from automatic.

D. Free internet usage was limited to ONE terminal just off the lobby. An older PC in a spot formerly set aside for a house phone. One could stand and check e-mail, it is assumed, while others waited in line to do likewise. Kind of on the cheapskate side - what with every coffee house and laundromat now offering free WiFi but acceptable. In the three days I tried to use this amenity, however, it was "out of service". When I asked about the internet service, I was told that the in room, wired, service was available for a mere 12.95 a day and that wireless service was available in the lobby - but it was "a little more expensive that way". Both services were provided by an outside vendor and could neither be billed to the room nor made complimentary to make up for the non-existent "free internet access" promised us. I again asked how I could, for less than five minutes, check my email and was told that the "business center" was now closed but a manager would be called right down to open it up for me. This bit of customer service I appreciated but it was only after the night manager had unlocked the small room full of working, more modern computers that I was told the same charges would apply and could not be billed to the room or made complimentary. After another small discussion, mentioning the review I'd be placing here, a 15 minute complimentary session code was acquired from someone on the end of a radio discussion and a phone call.

It really shouldn't be this hard. If the computer access you promised is out-of-order... simply put one of your working computers in that place after your business center closes each afternoon. A complimentary 15 minutes / daily (either in room or in the business center) would be considered a bonus and would be enough for lots of folks to just do the rudimentary check in we all need to do from time to time. Of course, if something captivated the 15 minute user... you'd have an additional chance to capture some revenue for the 16th-plus minutes and no one could complain... right?

Let's get these little things fixed so that this lovely hotel, fine staff and delicious restaurant can be the focus of these reviews - which could then be the venues for the luxurious praise you both seek and deserve.

Please?

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank BarryCarver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Marriott St. Louis Airport
Hilton St. Louis Airport
Hilton Garden Inn St Louis Airport
Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport
Drury Inn St. Louis Airport
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St Louis Airport

Been to Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!