“Bed is not comfortable”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I decided to try this hotel once again since it would only be a one night stay. Everything was fine until we went to bed. There is a mattress pad on the bed and it will not stay put. We woke up several times during the night with it all wadded up beneath us and it had separated from the corners, so part of the time we were sleeping on bare mattress. I informed the desk clerk upon check out and he seemed totally unconcerned. I then asked for the email of the manager and wrote to her. She did not even bother to answer my question. I just wanted to know if this was something new at Renaissance. I have platinum status at Marriott and if this is something new at Renaissance, I will not be able to stay at Renaissance hotels in the future because I pay for a comfortable nights sleep. This did not happen at this hotel. Very disturbing that no one cares if a loyal customer is not satisfied with the bed.

Room Tip: Stay at the Marriott down the road. The beds in this hotel are not acceptable.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on this site. I am sorry that you were not able to get a good night’s sleep on the bed. It appears that the fitted sheet was not the appropriate size for your mattress. This has been reviewed with the Housekeeping Manager so further training with the staff is completed.

Again, I apologize for this and appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Close to airport. Was able to stay the night before my early morning flight and could park my car on their lot for the weekend trip out of town for $10/day. When I had called to inquire about leaving my car, I had thought they were allowing me to use their lot free of charge - guess that was my misunderstanding, but no cost was mentioned to me until I was checking into the hotel. Hotel was very nice as expected, but the heater/furnace in my room was noisy. Free shuttle service had to be called twice to pick me up on my return.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on this site. I appreciate the comments shared and will address the areas that we can improve upon (shuttle service and fee explanation). We hope to have you back for your next park and fly need.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Went to visit St. Louis for a convention. I did not want to spend a lot of money for the downtown hotels, but didn't want to be too far away either. I came across this hotel at the last minute; just before leaving home. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. This hotel is wonderfully decorated, extremely comfortable and only about a 10 min. ride from downtown. I arrived early, but my request to check-in early was easily accomodated. The price for the room was also much more reasonable than I expected. The hotel exdues a feeling of grandeur to those approaching or just passing by. I plan to return to St. Louis for the convention next year, and I will be staying at the Renaissance Hotel once again. Loved this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank embrydl

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on this site. I appreciate the positive comments and I am glad you enjoyed the hotel, location and value we offer. We look forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I am a Platinum member who had a similar yet also very different experience than ColmK667. I booked the AAA rate, which I think was an excellent value. This hotel was comfy and clean. I do not think it needs major renovation. The carpeting, bedsheets, and desk furnishings in guestroom 1002 looked new. The complete review is on my blog.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank IrisT

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on this site. I appreciate the positive comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. While our current guestroom package is not very old, we are refreshing our rooms again. This phase follows the lobby renovation completed last year. We are constantly working to improve our product. Thank you again. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed last week for park and fly. Quiet and very clean room, comfortable bed and pillows and friendly shuttle drivers. Love the Aveda Products in the bathroom. We always stay here prior to flying out.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on this site. I am glad you enjoy our hotel and park and fly. We appreciate your loyalty and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I am a Marriott Platinum member and recently spent a weekend here. The rooms and halls are way past their prime and in need of complete renovation. The linen is so old you can see through the towels. The lobby and bar are ok and the staff was mainly pleasant and helpful except when they asked to see my AAA card and I explained that they were the only Marriott to ask this after 80+ nights at multiple Marriotts around the country. I did not have the card with me and they 'graciously" let me keep my rate...enforce the rule or don't enforce but don't hold the guest accountable for Marriott inconsistency.
All-in-all for fellow Paltinums this is not what you would expect for a Renaissance experience..

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on this site. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay but appreciate your comments. Renovation to the guestrooms has begun and will be completed in March 2014. We hope you will give us another chance.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed last week, during an admittedly busy time (World Series games going on in St Louis, so every hotel in town was close to fully booked).

When I checked in at 5:30pm, the front desk staff indicated a large group had checked out late, and housekeeping was still making up the rooms, so therefore I was not able to get into my room at check-in. Because I was heading to an event that evening, I was instead forced to change clothes and freshen up in the restrooms in the hotel lobby, charge my cell phone in the lobby, and leave my bags at the bag check with the bellman. Not an ideal situation, but I made do since no other alternatives were provided.

The hotel front desk called me about an hour later indicating my room was now available, which wasn't helpful since I was already at my evening event.

Upon returning from my evening event, already tired after a long day, around 11:30pm, there was a line of 4 people at the hotel check-in desk. Because they were unable to at least give me my key at check-in, I had to wait, yet again, for about 15 minutes as the parties ahead of me must have had some more complex check-in issues -- just to get my key and room assignment. As you can imagine, this compounded my frustration from earlier in the day. It took 10 minutes of the only available front desk agent struggling with one customer's issues before she called another agent to come help the other three of us waiting behind.

Overall - the facility was nice. Restaurant service was nice -- cold continental breakfast buffet for $12, hot for $16, but no other options were available (no coffee shop in the restaurant for a quicker eat-and-run option). Shuttle to the airport very convenient -- runs every 15-20 minutes, and from there you can catch the metrolink train into downtown if needed (though, it's a 35 minute ride in). It was only the strange customer service issues that made my stay frustrating. Though I understand some of the circumstances may have been beyond their control, it seems allowing a large group to check out late and inconveniencing a number of business travellers arriving well within check-in times may not have been the best way to handle the situation.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on this site. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and apologize for the issues with the room availability and slow check-in. The World Series did impact the group we had in the hotel and schedules changed. Future situations will be analyzed closer to avoid disrupting business travelers. Again, thank you. We hope you will visit us again when in St. Louis.

Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. L...
#3 of 18 in Maryland Heights
Downtown
Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark

Been to Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!