“Charming and Cozy - but a bit loud.”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed July 19, 2011

In this business age, I fully understand the bottom line - big hotels need to sell volume.

We read great reviews online before booking for a weekend stay in July. We were greeted with friendly staff, a clean and elegant atmosphere and a very comfortably and cozy room. We opted for the Romance Package which included breakfast and champagne (which sadly, we never cashed in).

Room service was attentive and the food through both room service and the T-Bone Trattoria breakfast was great..

There was a lot of activity during our stay. During breakfast we were seated overlooking the atrium where a convention was in full swing. Throughout the meal, we listened to sounds of tape dispensers packing up boxes and crowds gathering and chatting - never mind that the restaurant was absolutely deserted and there were plenty of seats further inside to shield from the noise and activity...would have made a little more sense to sit us away from the noise.

Guests began loud and obnoxious conversations as early as 6:00 a.m., slamming doors, banging on other doors, etc. Again...we're in a hotel, it's not 100% private, we got it.

There was also a wedding in full swing on Saturday night and apparently, the guests confused a clown car with the elevator, cramming 27 folks into one, thus breaking it and taking down the whole system.

That evening as we swam, a large group literally drove us away early. They weren't loud, they were HORRIFYINGLY loud to the point that our jacuzzi-mates and their daughter kept putting their hands over their ears. Ear-piercing screams are not my idea of a relaxing time. There are signs posted about noise and disruptions, but in this day and age, you never want to go out of your way to be a jerk and tell someone that their kids are freaking hyenas that need to shut up.

But all wasn't lost, this hotel really was fantastic, the staff attentive and our questions and requests were exceeded with cheerfulness. Great value for the room and meals were pleasant.

All in all, we will definitely stay again, but we might insist on a stay mid-week or in a slow time to avoid the crowds.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StPatricksGirl79
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2011

Dear StPatricksGirl79,

Thank you for choosing the Renaissance and taking the time to submit a review. I am excited to share your remarks with the staff about their friendly and attentive service and with Chef about how much you enjoyed the food. I apologize your stay wasn’t entirely pleasant due to the volume of activity in the hotel. Please know the staff will be happy to handle any concern brought to their attention. Please contact me directly prior to your next visit and I will do my best to arrange a more relaxing stay. We look forward to having you at the Renaissance again.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

I decided to treat myself to a slightly nicer room than I usually get while waiting for an early morning flight. I was very disappointed with my experience here. The lobby is dark, loud, and glitzy in a Eurotrash sort of way, but the things that count in an upscale hotel were sorely lacking. First, the internet was not working in my room, despite two visits from tech people and a call to the help desk. This hotel charges for internet access. Second, the room service menu is limited and the meal I ordered was sub par: the hamburger patty tasted like a frozen patty from a warehouse store, and the rest of the meal was inferior to that offered by a chain restaurant. Third, the walls were so thin that I could hear my neighbors coughing and showering. When he heard about my internet problems (presumably from the tech person), the manager on duty did call me and invite me to come downstairs for a free dessert; he also reminded me that I could use their business center to connect to the internet but by then it was after 10:30 p.m. A traveler would do much better to stay at a lower-star chain hotel also near the airport, which has spacious, quiet rooms and free, functioning internet.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Dear RealLilyBart,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience here at the Renaissance. I understand how frustrating it can be when internet is not working properly, and I will be sure to look into this with my team. I hope the manager on duty that evening made you feel welcome and appreciated by offering a dessert. I will also address your comments regarding the food and menu with the culinary team. I appreciate your business and invite you to contact me directly the next time you come to the Renaissance. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

We requested a nice room with a view, and that is exactly what we got. We were put in a high up floor and on the corner of the building facing the airport runways. Pretty amazing especially if you are into airplanes or have kids that would pretty much be out of your hair by the fascination of the flights. Bell staff were great, valet guys were kind of rude upon my arrival. Otherwise, had a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2011
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2011

Dear devildawg1979,

Thank you for your review. In addition to the beautiful and comfortable rooms, we are happy you enjoyed the unique view of the runway and the planes landing. I am disappointed in your experience with the valet staff, and will share your remarks, both positive and negative, with the team. Thank you again.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night. The Renaissance was a nice hotel but nothing special,
It is an upscale hotel so you pay for everything......outdoor parking, internet, breakfast.
The location is good if you need a place by the airport but there is not much esle going for the place.
No complaints but not much excitement either.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stay here all the time for business. It is only 5 minutes from the airport so if you don't need to go any where else, stay here. It is great for a short stay. There is absolutely nothing around the hotel to do or eat. There is a Hustler store across the street and a Denny's nearby but that is it. Don't go walking around either. You may not come back alive. Stay in the hotel and don't move. Food in hotel is very good. Van service to airport is ok.
I was stuck at this hotel for 40 or more hours and needed something to do. I asked the front desk and they told me Harrah's would come to the hotel pick us up and bring us back to the hotel when we were finished at the casino. Pretty nice.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Dear Rjcvg,

We sincerely appreciate your repeat business and look forward to having you again. I’m glad you experienced the convenience of our complimentary airport shuttle. We pride ourselves on being able to make indigenous recommendations for places to eat, shop, and have fun. While you found the immediate location of our hotel unsatisfactory, I hope you were able to enjoy the recommended entertainment.

Reviewed June 23, 2011

We recently stayed at the Renaissance after arriving back into St. Louis from Punta Cana, DR. We were nervous of previous reviews of vandalism but did not experience any of this. This was a very nice room with extremely comfortable beds. We were exhausted and needed some rest before traveling home. The Renaissance delivered!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear awccwheeler,

Thank you for your compliments to the hotel. We often get remarks on how comfortable our beds are. I’m glad we were able to provide much needed rest after your vacation.

Reviewed June 20, 2011

I travel to St. Louis on business frequently and have stayed at all of the major chains near STL. The Renaissance is my preferred choice. The rooms are pretty standard but the lobby is nice. The service from the front desk is always warm and welcoming. The lobby bar is a good place to meet or have a nightcap. There is a Starbucks in the lobby. Parking is generally easy ( not true at some of the others nearby).
Overall I'd recommend this hotel if you need to be in St Louis near the airport.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank bccrab

Dear bccrab,

Thank you for the review. We are delighted to offer you convenience and quality while you travel. I will be certain to share your accolades for the front desk staff with the team. Again thank you and we look forward to having you again.

Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Marriott St. Louis Airport
Hilton St. Louis Airport
Hilton Garden Inn St Louis Airport
Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport
Drury Inn St. Louis Airport
Hampton Inn St. Louis-Airport

Been to Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!