“Stay away!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econolodge

Econolodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Berkeley
Econolodge
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
Wisconsin
“Stay away!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2009

I checked the rates on this website before calling to make a reservation. It is stated on that the rates do NOT differ from the website and the hotel. However, even after receieving a confirmation # and the front desk person saying he would honor the website price, we were told the general manager said she would NOT honor the price. This was AFTER we drove nearly 3 hours to get there! After much discussion with the front desk person he gave us the senior rate. We were still unhappy but were tired and agreed. We had 2 rooms which were adjoining. The first room was filthy. The bathroom floor had not been cleaned, there were no towels and both beds had somebody elses hair on the sheets! One of the sheets had a blood stain on it!! We immediately asked to be moved and after some time we were. The 2nd set of rooms were no better. One of the rooms actually hold MOLD growing on the carpet under the window. Not a little bit but ALOT! The windows wouldn't lock either. We demanded a refund and ended up staying across the street at LaQuinta, which was nice. The manager never could be reached and she really should be fired. NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!! It should be condemed and the manager and housekeepers fired!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank karri08Missouri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Wyoming
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

My family and I were ABSOLUTELY disgusted with the St. Louis Motel 6. Upon arrival, there appeared to be drug deals going on in the parking lot, women dressed for "work" nearby, and a less than happy employee behind the glass covered check-in area. When we entered the room, it was extremely dirty. The bathroom had feces in the corner behind the leaking toilet, toilet paper that had "mopped" to the wall, and to top it off, when we went to lay a towel on the nightstand so we could set our cell phones on it (since we didn't want our phones to touch the unclean table top), it had blood on it!!! As I stated, this was an absolutely HORRIBLE stay. Obviously there is no quality control being performed for this location. Thumbs down!!!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank WhyMeWyoming

Travelers are raving about these Berkeley hotels

Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

This place was disgusting. Any other reviewer who says it's clean either works there or has lived in a homeless shelter somewhere. The sheets were STAINED and we actually found little flakes of skin stuck to the blankets, there was hair (a certain kind) stuck to the ONE towel that was provided. There was gum stuck to the wall, AND my non smoking room smelled like a smoke shop. Not to mention the hallways were noisy and water was dripping from the ceilings....The only reason we chose this place was because it was pet friendly... and we definitely would have been better off staying in our car for the night. I will never ever ever stay at another motel 6/red roof inn again in my life.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — DIRTY
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelAM84
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2007

I actually feared for my safety at this hotel. There were some dubious long term residents with life problems hanging around. We were there only one night, but we witnessed the police being called twice. A lot of shouting around the front desk. We were first given a room that was a mess. Then we were switched into another room. I guess the room was ok, I just wanted to get out of there. I was also worried about my car. We literally rushed in and out of our room.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Otoh
Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2007

...simply because the housekeeping and the checkout woman were so friendly. Motel 6 should up their salaries to $20/hour to keep the only good things they have going for them.

Positives first (besides those employees): the pool was actually pretty decent and clean, the rooms were bigger than usual at Motel 6,
and cleanliness was fairly decent with one exception. That's about it.

Negatives: grab a seat, this will be a second. I've been a regular in
St. Louis and am familiar with the city and its, uh, culture, but had
always thought the airport hotels to be fairly decent despite the overall surroundings of Natural Bridge. Motel 6 is basically a crack house, or something like that. We arrived to find MANY transients loitering in the parking lot, and lots of people obviously on methamphetamines loitering near the lobby (quite chummy with the check-in guy, to our dismay). The room was supposed to be prepaid but
the check-in guy was most unhelpful in processing this. I guess with customers like that I wouldn't accept a credit card without having it
in hand and 3 forms of ID either.

No elevators but it's a Motel 6, whatever. Got into the room and the toilet wasn't flushed, but again, whatever. The shattered glass near the door, obviously from someone trying to break in? A little less settling. The on-premises police substation? I GUESS that makes you feel a little safer. It did when I went to Algiers, but in St. Louis
... tells you something about the establishment. A couple of days prior to our stay, a young man murdered his two-year old child in a room there and the room was still cordoned off with police tape.

We left to have dinner with my family, who explained to us that the Motel 6 Airport is well-known and infamous to St. Louis locals. It seems to be featured more on the local news than the Travel Channel, if you catch my drift.

Around 1 am there was an impromptu hip-hop party in the parking lot featuring motel employees. It lasted until about 2:30 when the cops came to break it up.

The following morning, when my girlfriend was trying to get our bags out the door for a speedy departure, one of the hotel's esteemed guests appeared, shirtless, out of his door and began eyeing up her bag. In a somewhat comical series of events, every time she went back in the room, his head popped back out the door to check on the status of her bag. Not necessarily the hotel's fault, but it tells you who stays there.

The kicker was when we were loading up our car and in a real Brooklyn-style hustle, a gentleman we had seen in the lobby came up and tried to sell us obviously-stolen goods right by our vehicle.

I guess you can't complain too much--stay at the Motel 6 Airport, get a great deal on a Rolex!

• Liked — The "unique atmosphere"
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything when my sense of humor wasn't functioning
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank ljiljan21
Grand Blanc, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2006

I agree with what the other reviewer said. The rooms were very clean and the location was great. However, the clientele this hotel attracted was sketchy at best. I just tried to mind my own business at check-in and ignore the other customers, and then stayed in my room until I left.

Overall, my stay ended up being incident free, but I would not recommend any single women stay at this hotel by themselves. There are tons of hotels by the airport, including some very nice ones.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank spartanfan2006
il
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2005

First of all I must say when you stay at any motel 6 you can't expect much which I didn't here. We only stayed here because we are from the area and had a very early morning flight and it was very convenient in addition to being cheap since we were only going to be there less then 7 hours. Second of all there were some good features about this location. They are right across from the airport, they have free parking for as long as you need it, the rates are very reasonable, and the room was very clean which I feel bad about having to complain.
However, they do not attract very good clientele. There are a lot of transient looking people who walk on the road in front of the location. When I checked in there was a guy hopped up on something trying to get a room, but didn't have enough money. When the clerk went to answer the phone he asked me for $20.00 to pay for his room but I refused. Then when the clerk returned he told her he was going to go to the car and get some money.
My husband was waiting in the car while I checked in and this guy actually had the nerve to go up to him in the car and tell my husband I said to ask him for some money to pay for his room!
I understand this hotel couldn't control this, But! there was a police sub-station inside of the lobby! The clerk acting like this type of thing happens all the time. Neither was she or the clerk I checked out with very friendly.
That's pretty bad when the hotel has to have a sub-station inside of it.
I would strongly advise spending the extra money and stay somewhere that cares about the safety of their guests.

• Stayed September 2005
10 Thank lakecity21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Hilton St. Louis Airport
Marriott St. Louis Airport
Quality Inn Airport St. Louis
Holiday Inn St. Louis Airport
Holiday Inn St. Louis Airport
#2 of 2 in Woodson Terrace
Hampton Inn St. Louis-Airport
Drury Inn St. Louis Airport

Been to Econolodge? Share your experiences!