“Comfortable, Relaxing, Delicious”

Marcella's Mia Sorella
Ranked #1 of 98 Restaurants in Ballwin
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Kirkwood, Missouri
“Comfortable, Relaxing, Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our first visit. Lunch on a Wednesday and as luck would have it, it was boss man's Steve Komorek's birthday. (no age given). Mia Sorella is quite different from Trattoria Marcella, and for me that is a positive. This place, fairly new, has its own distinct personality. It made me feel as though I were traveling through the Italian countryside and came upon this wonderful little restaurant with excellent food. Quite an achievement since the building is new and they often tend to be cold and impersonal. Not Sorella. The decor, ambience and menu all add up to a comfortable an relaxing experience with nicely prepared meals and excellent service. By the way, Steve shared some homemade cookies with us for his birthday.

• Visited March 2013

• Greek first
Jacksonville, Fl
“Great homemade taste”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

After coming here twice for dinner and once for lunch, I have to give this restaurant a thumbs up for consistently tasty food. Ravioli appetizer is the best fried ravioli I've seen in St. Louis, generous pieces beautifully presented, cooked just right. Nice side salad options, great table service. Only thing is, you must be ready to wait at least 45 min, this place is new to the area and fast becoming a local favorite.

• Visited March 2013
St Louis
“White Clam Pizza....like New Haven's Pepe's Not.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

First time visit, read a review in St Louis Post-Dispatch that they had a white clam pizza like New Haven Ct, Pepe's or Sally's. Well their white clam pizza was no New Haven CT, sorry. It was good just not in the same class. I will go back when I'm home sick for something like New Haven pizza, yes. But nothing in St Louis is like east coast pizza..sorry. Had lunch there on Valentine's day, service was a little slow, maybe the crowds but they were not prepared.

St. Louis, MO
“2 star experience but good service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We arrived around 6pm on Friday evening..... on the early side since the place is often full. We were surprised to see that they were not full yet, not even close. There were open tables all over the place. For some reason, however, we were given the worst possible table in the house right in front of the kitchen doors. There shouldn't even be a table in this location. We were distracted by a constant flow in and out of these doors with staff flying past us every 20-30 seconds. My husband was brushed by staff so many times I lost count. Then a server dropped his tray of water glasses right in front of us.... further commotion. It was not enjoyable or romantic AT ALL. The only saving grace was our great waitress (Carrie??). The food was so, so. The wings had a unique sauce so it was interesting but not great. My husband had the special... monk fish.... it was very bland. He ate half and did not take the rest home. I had the fennel sausage pizza. Once again, it was just ok. I ate one piece and took the rest home and one of my boys ate it. We also tried to take home the leftover wings but once we got home we found that we had someone else's leftover dinner. So, take my advice restaurant owner and remove that table completely (you know the one I'm referring to for sure) or seat people there if it is the absolute last resort and the clients are given the opportunity to opt out and wait for another table.

Midwest, USA
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have never been to the "brother" restaurant, but this spin-off is not to be missed. I was happy to eat here for my first experience with family because we got the opportunity to taste everyone else's food. Haha.

We started with a Pizza Margherita for an appetizer. For salads, I tried the special of the night which was a shaved brussel sprouts salad with shredded parmasean. Immediately I could tell the freshness of the ingredients and the love and care for the food. I knew we were in for a great meal.

Along with the bread basket, I asked for some olive oil for bread dipping and it came prepared with grated parmesean and pepper - nice touch. Having been to an olive oil store in New York City, I knew from the flavor alone, again, that this restaurant was all about fine, fresh ingredients.

Around the table for the entrees included Carbonara, Fruiti di Mare, Beef Tenderloin, Cannelloni, a special-of-the-night shrimp pasta with vodka cream sauce, and the braised beef over risotto. All-in-all, everyone simply just enjoyed their meals, side dishes, there were no missteps here. Flavor, presentation, done-ness and texture - just perfect.

Lastly, a dessert round, around the table: Cheesecake, Tiramisu, and Panna Cotta with Strawberries. Are you kidding? Everything divine, decadent, and remember-able.

From start-to-finish, including the service staff, this was an excellent dining experience. The price is right for the size portions they give. They have an extensive wine list, but I did not review or partake in it.

Words of warning: They do not accept reservations, so go early if you want to sit quicker. I have not seen inside the restaurant during the weekends, but an establishment next door, is also extremely popular right now (February 2013), taking up an incredible amount of parking and may dissuade people from getting to Mia Sorella. We went on a Monday night for my Dad's Birthday so it was perfect for us. The ambiance isn't very intimate, but I don't think they were going for that. It's loud, busy and perfect for this Italian meal.