“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Winona
jackson, ms
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed December 29, 2008

As another reviewer stated I went in expecting little. Pleasantly surprised. Hotel is in a safe location close to the interstate. There is a Huddle house, McDonalds, Subway, KFC and a couple gas stations within walking distance. Driving around town this hotel looks like the nicest BY FAR. I stayed in Winona b/c I was hunting 20 minutes away and didn't want to add an extra 25 or 30 minutes onto my early morning commute by staying in Grenada. The room is very nice sized and the bathroom is good sized as well. TV was ok but the cable did not come in well on some channels including channel 3 where Sunday Night Football was on. Good sized mini-fridge in the room. Microwave came in handy. Coffee maker was fine. Sheets were clean. Bed was not the best in the world but it was king sized and ok. I went in December after Christmas so I had no interest in a pool but the pool is very small. Lady at front desk was friendly. Toilet rim was very worn and needed replacing but it was endurable. It is definitely not a nice hotel but it is in Winona, MS for god's sake so considering that it is perfectly fine. I do recommend. Fyi, I ate at the mexican restaurant in town and it was pretty good except for the chips and salsa...the salsa literally had NO taste. Also I ate at the Old Town Bar and Grill and would recommend it as well as the Mexican place. Both are better than eating fast food that is in the area.

• Liked — Nicest hotel in Winona
  • Disliked — It is in Winona, MS of course
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank antoine80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We were just starting our two week vacation to Florida and ended up staying in Winona as it had gotten too late to make it Jackson, Mississippi, our original plan on where to stay that night. There are only 2 hotels in Winona, and this was definitely the better of the two, although thats not saying much. We paid $80 to stay there. The room amenities were fair, and it didn't smell bad, however the pillows were thin and lumpy and the water in the stool was a nice yellowish color (from hardwater I guess?) Its a two-story hotel, bottom floor is for smoking and upstairs is non-smoking. We were unfamiliar with the area, but if we had known we would have hung in there for another 20 minutes and stayed in a much nicer, cleaner hotel in Canton, Mississippi where there were lots more choices.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — expensive stay for what you get
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank beachbum1963
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed August 1, 2007

I should start by saying that this is the nicest place in WInona. However, don't expect much.

The Good:

There is a small swimming pool in the parking lot that some of the patrons used to escape the MIssissippi summer heat.

It is within easy walking distance of a small convenience store, McDonalds and a Huddle House.

The room has a dorm fridge, microwave, iron and ironing board.

The air conditioner worked.

The Bad:

Overpriced.

TIred furnishings.

Thin old towels.

Worn, tired-looking toilet.

Shampoo was in a little bag that you snip off the end. (???)

When we checked in, I took an empty french-fry container and soda container into the lobby and asked the clerk where a trash can was located. She snapped at me and wanted to know if they contained food. I assured her that they were empty. She snarled about how folks bring in things with food remnants and then she is forced to smell them and how insensitive everyone is. Meanwhile, her cucumbers are very smelly. Here is an idea -- why not put a trash can outside so that folks can throw trash away there and not bother the help?

• Liked — located near to our destination
  • Disliked — Clerk at check-in
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank soworthit
Effingham, IL
Reviewed November 13, 2006

while traveling we were in need of a hospital. my husband & I were travelling with another couple to a mutual friends daughter wedding, Bob got extremely ill from something he ate and we needed to make an emergency stop. We landed here, and were very well taken care of, the front desk was very concerned about our friend and went out of thier way to help us.
Our room was neat and tidy, although quite simple. The people in Winona were dolls.
This happened awhile back but I've just founf this service

• Stayed March 2003, traveled with friends
Houston
Reviewed August 27, 2006

I stayed there this past weekend, and it worked out well. The room was clean, and we enjoyed having the microwave/fridge, as well as the extra space in the living room. It's right off I-55 and within walking distance of a few fast food places. I didn't like that the room keys have the room# on them - safety issue. And it was kinda funny that they give you the remote when you check in as opposed to it just being in the room - I guess people are stealing those or something. They really do need new towels - they're really thin and cheapy. But, the staff was friendly and helpful and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed August 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank KilmichaelGirl
florida
Reviewed June 4, 2006

Handicapped non-smoking has good beds and a nice shower. Beds are good. The price is high $75.00 per night for two and $5.00 additional per person. Only coffee and donuts for breakfast. Pool is small. You can't take towels to the pool nor can you get extras. It seems as though there is a ration of towels at this hotel even when they are not full. It could use new towels. Huddlehouse resturant good breakfast place and is cleaner than most. Mexican resturant in town is great!

1 Thank sunsetlover25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona North
#3 of 13 in Grenada
Knights Inn Grenada
Knights Inn Grenada
#5 of 13 in Grenada

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!