“Tranquil setting”

Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We came up here on business and decided to stay away from the town centre. Upon arrival the reception was very welcoming and helpful as was all the staff. We upgraded our room which we were pleased with, it was very spacious with all the facilities we needed except a hair drier but I'd taken my own! The bed very comfortable but the pillows were like concrete which let the sleeping experience down for me. It was a shame as it was so peaceful and quiet.
The breakfast we chose was the full English and was lovely. All in all we would stay again but with a pillow tucked in the luggage.
This hotel could be so much better with a bit more care taken, the outside and gardens were a little tired and the windows along the landing areas didn't look like they'd been cleaned for a while, there is also a gym, pub and golf .

Room Tip: Pay the extra £10 as well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2014

Dear Lolly 0908
Many thanks for posting your recent review. I am pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I take on board your comments regarding the pillows, we do have a selection of spare pillows, I am unsure if you mentioned this during your stay.
Areas within in the hotel are in need of upgrade, many areas have been refurbished since our change of ownership Autumn 2013, further areas are planned as per our Guest notice displayed in Reception.
We have all windows cleaned regularly by an external company, I am sorry if some areas were below our usual standards.
I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club

Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

I booked this break for my partner to celebrate his birthday and escape from decorating. I could not have picked anywhere better. Checked in to our lovely room which was on the second floor of the original building. It was quirky, traditional and modern all at the same time and the icing on the cake was a chilled bottle of bubbly and a box of chocolates.
We went to the pool which was bigger than the pictures made it look and we had the place to ourselves..fabulous!
Completely chilled out we went back to our room to get ready for dinner, the one and only complaint was the shower which was a dribble at best.
Ate in Oswalds restaurant in the conservatory which was beautiful. Thanks to James and Aleisha for wonderful service.
We left feeling so relaxed, it was just what we needed, friendly staff, beautiful building, lovely room...... definitely going back!

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank j_gillespie5
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2014

Dear J Gillespie 5
Thank you for posting your feedback.
I am delighted you enjoyed your the facilities and had a relaxing time.
I will pass your kind comments on to the team, they do try hard to offer a friendly and relaxing service.
I have noted your comment regarding the shower, I will make a note and ask our maintenance team to investigate.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Reviewed August 26, 2014

Found a lovely hotel just outside Darlington, placed in beautiful surrounds with golf course, beautiful walks around the village small river running past. Bedrooms were comfortable and well proportioned without being over the top. Breakfasts in the mornings were as good as you would find anywhere with special requests not a problem to the efficient and well ordered staff. One draw back was the wedding guests noise till the small hours who even had temerity to complain when security staff doing there job asking drunken guests for quiet were reported to the front desk. All the the staff were agreeable and personable front desk efficient I would say thanks for a good stay . Except for the wedding blip.

Room Tip: Pick a weekend with no weddings on and your stay will be great.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Pat Mac
Many thanks for posting your recent review.
I am delighted overall you had an enjoyable experience.
I take on board your comments regarding wedding guests. We do try to allocated wedding guests rooms above the actual function and use quieter areas for guests on weekend packages. Occasionally this is not always possible. the night staff do try hard to diplomatically deal with rowdy guests, Thank you for your comments regarding the team.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you again.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

My husband booked me what he thought would be a relaxing spa break but unfortunately I don't remember relaxing once. The paper thin walls made sure there would be no sleep as you could hear everything in the next room (everything, even their toilet movements) guests were slamming doors all night and eventually we had to move rooms. Both rooms we had were not very clean. A cleaning lady moaned to us that she had too many to do, and obviously they just give each one a quick once over. Not thorough, there was still confetti on the floor from a previous wedding.The first receptionist we encountered was totally uninterested and couldn't be bothered to even look up when I enquired if I could purchase an item in one of the cabinets on display. I dont know, she said! Lost one sale. Next was the stables restaurant where a very severe member of staff ruled the roost. She was quite rude in stating 'NO you cant have a side order without ordering sandwiches!!! When you have just had a big breakfast you might not want a huge lunch) Guests should be able to order what they want. Very Odd. On trying the spa, it seemed very unorganised and the changing facilities were run down. Some women were actually sitting in the jacuzzi in their PAJAMAS! How unhygienic!. That completely put me off. So I decided to shower in the room, No hot water! The best thing was the breakfast which was absolutely fantastic, and the lads serving it were great, as was the second receptionist who kindly changed our room and the maintenance man was so friendly. Maybe other people dont notice all the grime on the bathroom floors, rusty shower curtains and unhoovered carpets,hence the wonderful reviews, but Im afraid I do and this is my honest review.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jentol57

Dear Annie 145
Thank you for taking the time to post me your feedback.
Please accept my sincere for the shortfalls you have experienced.
I have just returned from holiday, I will certainly make some investigations.
As you mention we do receive some great reviews and I would like to think that these are all honest reviews of guests experiences.
Occasionally we do get things wrong and we continually strive to improve the services and facilities we offer. It is only by guests taking time to gives us feedback that we can investigate and improve on the shortfalls.

Hotel General Manager.

Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner booked the hotel as a last minute break together, on checking in the staff were very personable and had a good level of customer service.

The hotel has a very traditional feel yet has modern elements. The rooms are quite small yet there is more than enough room to move around. The room was cleaned to a very high standard, modern yet traditional decor- more of a homely feel in comparison to a chain hotel which I felt was a credit to the hotel.

The bed was very comfortable and the linnen was very clean. There was a tv available however some channels did not work ie music channels.

The hotel provides biscuits with their tea and coffee facilities- a commodity some modern hotels seem to forget!

There was plenty of magazines with suggestions of places to go if you were not local.

The hotel is situated just out of Darlington surrounded by countryside so minimal noise is present during the night.

A gym is also available with fair facility's especially given the reasonable price.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to couples/people that are staying at the hotel for functions or tourists as it has alot to offer and it situated just outside of Darlington. I would not recommend for business use due to wifi not being fantastic.

I feel the hotel is very reasonably priced and clean and I would not hesitate to stay again.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
GMHallGarth17121972, Revenue and events manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

Hi Jodieleigh123

Many thanks for your recent review we are all very pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay! I will ensure your feedback is passed on to the team here. I note your comment on the WIFI and will look into this as we do offer fibre optic WIFI so speed isn't usually an issue but thank you for drawing this to our attention. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Many Thanks

Revenue and Events Manager

Reviewed August 19, 2014

My son got married at this hotel last weekend and I have to say it was brilliant. We had booked for the actual wedding and the wedding breakfast as well as the evening reception.
. The staff were amazing. They all went out of their way to make the whole event memorable and ensured that every detail went as planned. The food was excellent both in the afternoon and evening and also the breakfast on the following day. There were many of the party who stayed overnight and the rooms were all beautifully clean and spacious. There were toiletries provided as well as hairdryer and iron and ironing board and tea making equipment. We all had a great time and nothing was too much trouble for them I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great venue with beautiful grounds and surroundings. Thank you to all the staff a Hall Garth for helping to make the day so perfect for all of us.

Room Tip: All the rooms were good. We had a selection of single double twin and family rooms and they were all...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Good Afternoon Lillian D

It was a pleasure to read your review I am so pleased yourself and family enjoyed your sons wedding! I will pass on your comments to the staff who pride themselves so much on being friendly yet professional so I know they will appreciate your kind words! We look forward to welcoming yourself and hopefully some of the other guests back at the hotel in the not too distant future!

Kindest Regards

Revenue and Events Manager

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We have just returned from one night stay with my fiance. We had a great package booked what we believe does definitely worth it! Deal included one night stay, 3 course meal dinner, breakfast and also entrance to spa&leisure centre + massage. Our room was beautiful, food was excellent at restaurant and all staff were very nice and friendly. Because it was my Birthday staff came to us at dinner with dessert and singing Happy Birthday song, must say it was very nice surprice - thank you guys for that ;) !

If you are not a golf player, there is not many places where to go for walk. but, if you looking for relaxing weekend, it is a very good choice. There is a good size swimming pool at Leisure centre, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room. Also treatments are great.

Room Tip: We had room nbr.42, can just recommend, beautiful room, great size, perfect view. If you looking fo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Ivanna B

I am so pleased to hear you and your fiancé had a lovely break away with ourselves in room 42 (one of our quirky rooms!) I will pass on your lovely comments onto all of the staff including the spa girls who will be very pleased to hear you enjoyed your treatments. Thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you back at the hotel soon!

Kindest Regards

Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees

Been to Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!