“Lovely stay”

Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed last weekend for a friends wedding. Lovely, quiet room. The wedding was very well run and the staff were wonderful - couldn't be more helpful. Loved the dancing barman!! Only niggle ( for my husband) was the lack of bitter. John Smith smooth and Guiness were the only options - really disappointing. Breakfast was lovely and the staff were really efficient. Lovely stay and a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank lindutton1
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear Lindutton
Thank you for posting your recent review after attending a wedding at Hall Garth Hotel.
I have enjoyed reading your feedback and am pleased the staff looked after you. I am interested to read we have a Dancing barman in our team?
I note your comment regarding limited beer on the function bar. We do offer a greater selection in the Stables pub with 3 hand pulls and 3 draught beers. Due to the occupancy of the function rooms and function bars, it is more difficult to offer a wider range of beers.
I am pleased you enjoyed your accommodation and breakfast.

There are newer reviews for Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Having just returned from our sons wedding at this venue I should like to say what a fantastic time we had.
The hotel staff were all superb nothing was too much trouble , the room was spotless very well appointed .
The wedding reception room was beautifully presented and the service was second to none .all the bar staff where very well trained and although very busy served their customers very efficiently.
We used the spa facilities and found them to be excellent.
We would highly recommend this venue.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Ian I
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted to read your wonderful feedback and to know your Son's Wedding was so enjoyable.
Many thanks for your kind comments regarding the staff and the service, we do strive hard to offer a friendly a professional approach. I am also pleased you enjoyed the room and spa facilities.
i hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again when you are next in the area.

Hotel General Manager.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Stayed here last weekend for a friends wedding.
Before arrival I called to confirm booking details and found they were wrong and hadn't been amended as requested a month before.
Ordered the weekend stay deal where prosecco and chocolates were presented in the room on arrival. Prosecco was good but chocolates were pricey for what you got....only 4!
We didn't have dinner as the wedding overran.
Room was well furnished for its size and to a good standard.
Breakfast the following day was good and a wide selection of non-cooked platter was welcome.
Overall a pricey experience for average hotel stayers. You will want to make full use of the golf course, spa and pool before committing to stay, unlike us, to justify the price

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear Squidadidaledee
Thank you for posting your recent feedback. I am a little confused as to which package you have booked on. You mention staying for a friends wedding, we offer discounted rates for wedding guests. However, I believe from your reveiw that you have taken advantage of our Seasonal offer which includes complimentary Prosecco and chocolates, this also includes Bed and full English breakfast for a total of £85 (2 persons) or dinner can be included for a total of £125. I am somewhat surprised that you felt this to be a pricey experience as we do receive a great deal of feedback telling us this is very good value for money for a hotel of this quality.
I am pleased you enjoyed your experience and do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We had a good clean, though not large, room and bathroom facilities. Comfortable bed. Very pleasant and helpful staff. Some of the staff seemed inexperienced, but they were willing to help and tried hard (e.g. we had to tell a barman how to mix a whisky and ginger, which he'd never heard of, and he seemed pleased to have learned something new!) Food in the Stables Bar a bit plastic and mass-produced (chicken "Parmesan" came with a very un-Italian bright yellow melted cheese coating and the chips were soft and greasy). We tried the main restaurant the next night - food much more appetising, though priced accordingly. Pleasant Lounge area where you can get afternoon tea or light snacks, and also "Breakfast Items" such as bacon baps, croissants etc with coffee. This is a good deal if you don't want a big breakfast from the wide selection on offer in the dining room, although the staff seemed unaware of this option, and tried to charge us for restaurant breakfasts - but it was amicably and competently sorted out by the Receptionist when we checked-out. Surprisingly large swimming pool for a hotel, with good changing facilities, also golf, gym and spa facilities, which we didn't try.

Dear Scotadvisor
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review. I am delighted overall you enjoyed your experience whilst staying at the hotel.
I note your comment regarding the Chicken Parmesan you ordered in the Stables. This dish is a local signature dish, well known in this area, please accept my apologies if it was not as you expected.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, we do have a few new staff members I will pass your feedback on to the team.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again when you are visiting the area.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

The entry is good,the staff are awesome(must have been trained by an Hungarian) and the setting ,apart from the trains, is great. The food, and the Stables restaurant in particular,is to be commended.

Alas but the room lets it down.

The bed is too small for two, the walls are exceptionally thin and the pillows are too low(one pillow) or too high(two).

1  Thank Jaketjeff1883
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Jake tjeff1883
Many thanks for taking the time to post your recent review.
I am delighted you enjoyed the location, food and the Stables Bar. Our bedrooms do vary in size depending on location. May I suggest on a future visit you request a room in the main hotel these tend to be larger and quieter. I am sorry the pillows weren't to your liking, we do have a selection of various pillows available.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Booked one night. Got a good last-minute rate which did not include breakfast. Exterior looked very bland: they had made no discernible effort to brighten up the outside spaces with flowers, as most country hotels do. Our room was comfortable and well appointed, but the bathroom was disappointing: black mould around the bath and grubby grouting. Not really acceptable when there are products easily available to deal with such issues.
We were told by reception staff that we could have afternoon tea in the lounge, but found that this was being used for a meeting, so sat in the deserted restaurant instead. Surprised that staff did not know what was going on, particularly in such a small establishment. Even more surprised when it was suggested we'd have to pay extra for more tea - have never experienced that before. Luckily they agreed to supply another pot at no extra charge.The cakes were very good, as was the bar snack we had later in the Stables bar.
Staff were friendly and helpful, but the whole place lacked atmosphere. The fabric of the building has obviously seen some work, but the results, for us at least, were gloomy and somewhat depressing. Wherever we went we found brochures advertising their Christmas festivities (in April?) but I'm not convinced, given our recent visit, that one would feel very festive here.

1  Thank sofalofa_10

Dear Sofalofa 10
Thank you for posting your recent review.
I am sorry you felt the outside of the hotel lacked ambiance. Following recent change of ownership, the new owners have spent a considerable amount of monies on improving the state of the buildings and are currently in the process of making great improvements to the car park, rendering the main house and upgrading the front patio to the hotel. The car park will be re surfaced following planning permission. As the building is Grade listed we have to await permission in many areas before improvements can be done. Trees have been trimmed and new flower beds added, unfortunately you have seen this as work in progress. An enormous amount of works have gone in to make improvements and we should enjoy the benefits in coming months.
I recall the day of your visit, when we had a small wedding in the room adjacent to where your party had afternoon tea. As you mention a meeting was taking place in one of the lounges, often guests decide to arrange impromptu meetings in some of the small lounge areas, other areas are available for lounge service.
Abby served your party afternoon tea on a table in a window seat of Oswald's restaurant overlooking the golf course. I am delighted you enjoyed the cakes and your free refill. We do have to draw the line with the amount of complimentary refills we can offer.
Our Christmas Brochures were available from April as we receive many requests in advance for reservations for our Christmas packages, which have been a great success in the past, and many guests return annually. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and the food. We do strive hard to offer a friendly professional service.
Again, I am sorry you felt the building lacked ambiance, I hope you give us the opportunity to revisit when all the works are complete.

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Check in was quick and very welcoming.
The pool, sauna and steam room were good for relaxing.
The food and drink in the Stables pub attached seemed the same as the restaurant but was cheaper. Lacking in vegetarian options but otherwise food was ok.
The breakfast was good as was the service provided by staff especially Bradley he really was helpfull I just hope the management appreciate and value him I certainly appreciated his helfullness thanks Bradley.
In fact all the staff seemed very friendly and accommodating.
The room was very spacious however the heating didnt seem to work and the windows were old style sash windows which could do with a little attention or even replacing.
Overall I had a good enjoyable stay and would definitely stay again and try make use of the golf course in future.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear AK Leices
Thank you for posting your feedback.
I am delighted you had an enjoyable and relaxing break with us. I will pass on your kind comments regarding Bradley, he is a valued team member and we receive lots of good reviews about him.
We have recently refurbished The Stables Bar and Stables Kitchen. This has allowed us to offer 2 areas for guests to dine. I am sorry you felt the two menus were similar, The Stables is very much pub grub including old favourites, Fish and Chips, Steak Pie, Rump Steak and chips. Where as Oswald's offers a menu with locally produced foods with a fine dining approach.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coatham Mundeville
Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees

Been to Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!