Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$45
Premier Inn Durham (Newton Aycliffe) Hotel(Newton Aycliffe)(Great Value!)
$71
PremierInn.com
$35
$110
$83
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel(Walworth)(Great Value!)
$93
$61
$64
$70
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
$70
$67
All reviewsstables bargolf courseleisure clubbeauty roomleisure facilitiessauna and steam roomevening mealfour postergranary suiteround of golfposter roomrelaxing weekendfull englishmain buildinggreat nighta lovely stayfood was lovely
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Starting with people very friendly there, the quality is very good and there is a perfect pool and gym to have a rest.
It is very well located, very close to the main road so it is easy to get there.
I have been two times, and I will be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Eduardo7676
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review. I am pleased that you enjoyed our hospitality and facilities, and I will pass your feedback onto the team. We do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Booked this hotel as a surprise for my husband for our wedding anniversary and his birthday.
Prior to arriving I had been called advising me there was a function on at the time of our stay and there was a possibility of noise from the function room, I asked if they could put us in a room away from the function room and they said they would try their best. I was happy they had advised us of this though.
The hotel was easy to find and on arrival the receptionist could not have been more helpful. Everything looked nice and we made our way to our room above the stables, this was the only small let down of the whole stay. The walls were marked in places (looked as if a child had been drawing on them in places), the windows had flaky old paint on them and the grouting around the shower area was disgustingly black. The stairs leading upto the bedrooms could also be a lot cleaner.
We got sorted and headed out to check the facilities out, the stables bar had a very nice conservatory where we enjoyed a drink and there were also tables overlooking the golf course which was lovely.
We then headed the check the leisure facilities out, facilities were great with towels provided, the jacuzzi was lovely and warm and we spent a good time taking advantage of the facilities. My only negative on the facilities was that the water fountain was not very cold at all.
We returned to the room for a shower but water pressure was practically non existent meaning getting the shampoo out my hair was a task and a half.
We ate in the wine glass restaurant on the evening and could not fault a thing here, we had breakfast here the next morning and my only comment here would be that my bacon was practically cremated!
Overall a lovely stay and would return again if we were guaranteed a better room with some water pressure.
ps. staff absolutely great and could not do enough to help.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MJS08
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you generally enjoyed your stay, the reception staff bwere attentive and offered you a room away from the functions.
I note your comment regarding your bedroom. I will take remedial action with regards to the maintenance and housekeeping issues in the bedroom.
I am pleased to read your nice comments about your dining experience and your kind commecnts about our staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back again, please mention at reservation stage that you would prefer not to be allocated a room above the Stables.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Had a lovely weekend here
Great location just off the M18 good connections to Sunderland, Durham, Beamish!
We had a lovely room in the Stables complete with overhead beam
The staff were all fantastic but the receptionist on check in and out were really friendly and polite.
We only had breakfast which was served in the main restaurant, well presented and cooked to order
Yes of course there are a few little bits that need attention but this is a very old building and if you want a mainstream type hotel then this one is not for you. Its hard to find a character hotel with the added advantage of a swimming pool
There are lovely grounds and we enjoyed a relaxing drink before heading out for dinner
We really enjoyed our stay - my only complaint would be that the water pressure is very low in the shower

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,
Thank you for posting your rview on this site. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your kind comments to the team.
I have also asked our in house Maintenance team to take a look at he low water pressure in the shower.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon,

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is a hotel very close to the A1 and Newton Aycliffe. it is a country house with lots of character (including sloping floors and squeaky floors). The staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms spotless and well decorated with comfortable bed. Free wifi throughout although the connection in some areas seemed a little patchy. The room I had (Room10) was an attic room and in the warm weather we had at the time I stayed was very warm. The window had a limiter on it which only allowed a very small gap however 2 mins with a screwdriver and the window was able to open fully and allow a much needed airflow through the room once the room door was also wedged open. (The limiter was replaced before I left to satisfy the Health and Safety zealots they must have in the hotel, why do they treat us like children ?). The gym area was small but well equipped and includes a pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi all available free of charge to residents. The only down side and it is a bit of a big downside was the lack of water pressure to use the shower. it was frankly unusable and impossible to regulate the dribble of hot an cold to a reasonable temperature as a fractional adjustment took it from ice cold to scalding temperature, being able to wash and shower is one of the basics and these days there is no excuse for it not being correct. especially as it was obvious that the bathroom and bedroom have been updated fairly recently. I did not eat in the hotel as I went out and i refuse to pay £12.50 for ANY breakfast even if it is on expenses!
All in all I would definitely stop again as it is so peaceful and a nice place but would refuse to have room 10 again as I do like to have a shower but not in ice cold water.

Room Tip: avoid room 10 or any of the attic rooms due to poor water pressure and the rooms getting very warm with only very limited ventilation to allow it to cool (unless you carry a screwdriver like me)!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank ypou for posting yout feedback on ehis site. I am de;lighted hat you in general enjoyed your stay with us.
I note your comment regarding the shower, and I have asked our in house maintenance team to investigate. If you do stay with us again, please menrion to reservations that you would not wish to stay ion room 10, and we will be happy to allocate you another room.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our daughter and son -in - law chose Hall Garth for their marriage and wedding celebrations in July. In our opinion they made an excellent choice. From arriving 2 days before the wedding to checking out, we could not have been made more welcome. Nothing was too much trouble for them and an excellent attitude was shown by every member of staff. Everyone said what a wonderful wedding it was and immediately went on to praise the venue.
Our most sincere thanks must go to Bev, the wedding organizer and her team. You did a great job. You were not intrusive but always on hand if we needed you. Hall Garth is a beautiful venue and when the sun shines, the secret garden would grace any wedding celebration.
We feel we have been given outstanding value for money at this venue.
Thank you.
Graham and Elaine

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Graham and Elaine,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback onto this site.
Here at Hall Garth we pride ourselves on giving all of our Wedding couples a Wedding to remember, and that begins from the moment the Wedding party arrive, to the moment when we say goodbye.
I have passed your thanks onto the team, and in particular to Bev, who looked after you during your celebrations,
We wish Katie and Neil many years of hapiness in the future, and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to Hall Garth in the near future,