Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
$45
HolidayInn.com
Premier Inn Durham (Newton Aycliffe) Hotel(Newton Aycliffe)(Great Value!)
$71
PremierInn.com
$35
$96
$78
Priceline
  • Pool
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel(Walworth)(Great Value!)
$93
  • Restaurant
$70
$68
Agoda.com
All reviewsstables bargolf courseleisure clubbeauty roomleisure facilitiessauna and steam roomevening mealfour postergranary suiteround of golfposter roomrelaxing weekendfull englishmain buildinggreat nighta lovely stayfood was lovely
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Had a fantastic overnight stay here for my friends birthday. Mariko ,the receptionist was amazing . She organised flowers and wine on arrival and sorted out a birthday treat from my friends parents. Her upbeat cheerful approach really enhanced our stay. Her colleague Ian also deserves a mention, nothing was too much trouble even to locating pork scratchings at a very late hour for two munchy ladies. The food and service in the restaurant was excellent and the stay really good value for money. This was our third visit and by far the best largely due to the aforementioned staff. We will be back

Room Tip: Room 2 a bit more expensive but spacious with a lovely view over the golfcourse
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Barbara N
Many thanks for your wonderful review on our site. I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that the staff were able to accommodate your special requests. We do strive to offer a friendly service to all of our guests.
Many thanks for your special mentions about Mariko and Ian, I have passed this feedback on to all the team.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

On a Friday evening the hotel was packed, no doubt with others who were also taking advantage of the hotel's special dinner, bed and breakfast deal. Our room was exceptionally spacious, though with a slightly odd mix of colours which could do with a style makeover.
The meal was excellent, with generous portions and a very good choice on the menu. Much nicer décor downstairs, redolent of a past age without the pomposity. Lovely, friendly staff made sure of that.
Breakfast was beautifully laid out. My husband then played a round of golf on the 9 hole course and I had the most fabulous facial. I'd certainly like to return.

Room Tip: Room 5 was just above the stairwell and the dining room so was noisy whilst meals were being served.

Angie V
Thank you for taking the time to post your great review on our site. It is very pleasing you read your positive comments.
I am delighted you enjoyed the facilites and the service, I will pass your feedback on to the team as we do take all comments very seriously.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I went for 1 night spring dine deal. Our room (45) was lovely and contemporary. Used the leisure facilities. Disappointed steam room out of order but these things happen. Not a huge facility but still nice enough. Evening dinner in the wineglass restaurant was gorgeous sitting in the conservatory. Food was a very high standard. Disappointed in the waitress did not seem to know how to pop n pour champagne and spilt some but again not a major problem. Breakfast the next morning was again very nice. Great variety of food on offer. Friendly and courteous staff.
A lovely hotel in lovely surroundings. A great night away and one I'd recommend. We will return.

Room Tip: Nice view overlooking the golf course
2  Thank Louise M
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Louise M
Thank you for posting your review on our site. I am delighted overall you enjoyed your stay and the hotel facilities. Please accept my apologies for the Steam room being out of action, our maintenance/leisure team tried desparately to have this facility working for the weekend, unfortunately a new part needed to be ordered which was out of stock. The facility should be working again early this week.
I have chatted to Walid our restaurant manager regarding your comment about the champagne service, clearly some additional training is needed, which he will organise.
Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, we do take all guest comments very seriously.
I am pleased you feel you you would like to return. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Hotel General Manager.

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend stay her over night 24th till 25 and we loved it. we had a masssage and it was so relaxing. the evening meal was nice to i had tomarto soup followed by the chicking which was cooked bautiful. there is loads of things to do and the swimming pool is good to. the changen rooms were hot like but its ok nice and clean. the room was clean to. there is also a stables bar there which is nice to relax in affter ur evening meal. the staff are really helpful and friendly. x

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear S678
Thank you for posting your recent review on our site. I am pleased you enjoyed your time in the Spa.
I will pass all your feedback onto the team.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Wedding anniversary short stay, what a shame it wasn't longer.
So easy to find, just off the A1 north of Darlington, from the minute we arrived it looked beautiful. At reception we thought OK, that was easy and pleasant, but that was just the start. Every single member of staff that we encountered were pleasant, smiling and extremely helpful. I don't know about others, but for me, the staff can make or break a hotel.
Our room, in the main building as opposed to one of the annexes, was spacious and comfortable. The TV built into the foot of the bath was an added extra we didn't really take advantage of.
The grounds of the hotel incorporate a golf course, with our room, (No. 1), we were fortunate enough to overlook the expanse of the course. Had we been golfers I can imagine it is a pretty good course, it looked well maintained. Also as part of the hotel is a Spa, which as part of the package booked, allowed a 30 minute back and shoulder massage. If we were to return, this would be extended as it was fantastic, relaxing and left you wanting more.
At this point I must say that what made our trip so much better was the glorious sunshine, for which neither we, nor the hotel, can guarantee. Had it been wet, the short walk to the Stable Bar, may not have been as pleasant. As it was, a great bar with average hotel prices for drinks and snacks.
Now the feather in the cap of Hall Garth has to be the restaurant. Not large, but comfortable. The menu varied, with leaving you with pages to ponder over, but with enough choice to suit most palates. The food was delivered without a long wait and was delicious. We could hear people at surrounding tables complementing many different dishes. Once again it was the staff who made the meal a delight. Friendly, efficient and very attentive. Breakfast was the same, a good choice and brilliant staff.
If I had one negative thing to say, it would be that there was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. A small and negligible point, unless you like to make your own drinks in your room.
Would I recommend Hall Garth..... very much so, but make it a week, or at least a whole weekend, so that you can fully appreciate what they have to offer.

Room Tip: Main building is probably the best, but there are stairs here.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Lolsholiday
Many thanks for posting your fantastic review on our site. I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and were able to experience the beauty treatments too, we do receive alot of positive feedback about them.
I am slightly confused with regards to your comment about no tea/coffee making facilites in the bedroom. We do have hospitality trays in all our rooms including tea/coffee/hot chocolate and biscuits and in Room 1 the tray is located on the side table near the TV, I am sorry if you missed it.
It is very pleasing to read your comments about the staff, thank you, I will certainly pass these on to all the team.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for a longer break in the not too distant future.