“Excellent stay”

Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Durham, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We visit this hotel on a regular bases and we enjoy every stay. The restaurant and staff are just brilliant and the accommodation is kept to a very high standard. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Violet S
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted you have enjoyed another stay with us.
I will pass on your positive feedback to all the staff.
We look forward to your return visit.
Pam Mooney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Since our last visit the hotel is now under new management and even better.

We have just returned from our annual Ladies Golfing Weekend at Hall Garth. This was our 8th anniversary.

All staff gave us our usual warm welcome and were helpful, friendly and courteous throughout our visit.

The new restaurant menu provided us with a great choice and we enjoyed the excellent quality, presentation and service of the food.

The golf course continues to improve yearly and the Greenkeepers deserve to be complimented for their efforts in keeping the course in such good playing condition during a very wet April and May. We all had a great time and are very much looking forward to returning next year.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ladies (Velux and Wolfie)
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review.
I am delighted you enjoyed your golf weekend at Hallgarth and that the weather allowed you to play!
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the changes to the restaurant I am pleased you enjoyed the new menu.
We have invested monies into the golf course this year and the groundstaff have worked very hard to keep the course open during the wetter spells, I will pass on your kind comments to the grounds team and also to the rest of the staff.
We look forward to welcoming you all again next year.

central scotland
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Tried this hotel again after some stays last year.Looking for a hotel for staying in the area for work but it won't be this one.

I booked a superior room and was surprised at the room given small dark one, this would not be a problem.However the TV would't work on digital, and the analogue picture was poor, I put my hand behind the unit to reboot and a when I did, a whole lot of dust that had been up there a while dropped down looking behind the TV a lot more was stuck there (but no HDMI or Scart cable to indicate connection to freeview or otherwise). I called reception and someone who did not know much about the room and claimed to be surprised that the TV did not recieve digital channels. In the meantime I checked the shower and the plug hole was blocked up and filling the bath, When Air escaped up there was a smell as thought the was a blockage that had not been moved for ages.

I mentioned this also and the person in the room offered me a different room I was very surprised because I was told at Check-in that the hotel was fully booked but asked him to check any way. The receptionist then called up to say The did have a spare room, when I asked if it was a superior room I was told that it was a standard room, there was no offer of compensation, refund of price difference etc or any customer service contact as I was passed onto a manager who said that I was in a standard room when I asked why she said that was my booking when I explained it wasn't, it was too much hassle for her to check my booking (it was after all around 5pm) as "she would have to open up the reservation screen," when I asked about the standard room move and a refund for the price there was no help forthcoming until she said that she could "do a bit of juggling about and move out the person due in an executive room.." Being late in the day I just wanted to settle somewhere so agreed. as I came out of that room I noticed live cobwebs visible on top of the radiator.

So much for a full hotel

I went to the new room which is a room I've stayed in before and thought this was a standard room previously. I then went to the pool and had a bite to eat. when I got back to the room I noticed white (milk) dribble stains on the bed pelmet that had obviously been there for ages If I noticed this before my dinner I would have checked out there and then, but I was too tired.

Needless to say I skipped breakfast.

I've had an apology from the manager at the time, and the usual apology and 'I will investigate'

If a hotel has cleanliness and customer service issues I never go back. I would suggest you really do your homework on this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest (Travelt00much)
Thank you for posting your review on our site.
After receiving your customer review card on check out, I did email you that morning to personally offer you my apologies for the issues you had experienced, as we do take all customer feedback very seriously and as I mentioned remedial action was taken immediately.

I can confirm that the room you were moved to was a superior room, the mix up on your allocation of rooms on check in appears to have been as your rate of £79 'room only' for a Superior room was the same rate we were selling that evening, for a standard room including breakfast.

I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet our usual high standards.
prestonpans
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We booked a two night break at the Hall Garth Hotel and Country Club.
What a great experience.
The Hotel was lovely we had room 5 huge king size bed,two couches and a table and chairs.
The meals where great the best thing about the restaraunt was not the usual massive choice you get in most hotels a limited number of dishes but what we ate was the nicest meal for along time.
The health club although not as big and posh as some it was very clean and the staff where very polite.
The hotel staff where great especially Shona on reception very friendly and helpfull as where all the staff who kindly gave my wife great info on where to shop,shop and shop.
Overall the best short break we have had in a long time.
Prestonpans ginger

Room Tip: Room 5 fro size,Room 7 if you want the haunted room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Prestonpans Ginger
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive feedback on our site following your recent stay.I am delighted you enjoyed the hotel facilites, I was also pleased to read your comments regarding your dinner, we have recently rebranded the restaurant and introduced the new Wineglass menu, i will pass on your kind comments to the Chef and the team.
Thank you also for mentioning Shona. We do take all customer feedback very seriously and discuss with all the staff.
KInd regards
Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

After making a last minute decision to book here we were more than happy with our choice on arrival. Booked with my Mam, Aunty & Cousin in 2 rooms for a well deserved girls break. Rooms were lovely & clean with everything we needed for an overnight stay. The prosecco & chocolates were a lovely touch on arrival. All staff were most pleasant & very helpful. We took advantage of the beauty spa booking a massage which was so good I actually fell asleep (compliments to the therapist). Pool & leisure facilities were also lovely & very relaxing. We ate in the stables pub & food was promptly delivered & of good quality. Finished off with deserts by room service which were gorgeously presented. Breakfast next morning was also of fantastic quality. All in all a most relaxing stay and we will definately be returning for another visit.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank clairecauser
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Claire Causer
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on our site following your recent stay.
I am delighted you all enjoyed your 'Girls break' and the facilities within the hotel. I will pass on your kind comments to all my staff.
Kind regards,
Leeds
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Having booked on the hotel website I am pleased that it was as it was advertised. In fact it is not often that a hotel actually exceeds its pre-sell. The location is ideally situated just off the A1 yet you wouldn't think it when walking the golf course and grounds.
Our spotlessly clean room over-looked the course and it added to a relaxing break.
My wife was truely spoilt in the Beauty Spa whilst I had a more taxing time in the gym, pool and steam room!
This prepared us for a fantastic meal in the restaurant......fine food in a fine setting capped with a good bottle of wine or 2!.
Throughout our stay we were most pleased with the attentiveness of such a friendly team of staff who seemed most happy at work.
We didn't manage to sneak into the pub on site as we didn't have time but will make time when we return...we have re-booked in June.
Can't wait!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear Jack D
Many thanks for your positive feedback following your recent stay at Hall Garth Hotel.
I am delighted you both enjoyed your stay and our facilities.
We have recently brought the Beauty area in house and offer many treatments.
I will pass on your kind comments to all the staff regarding food and service.
We look forward to welcoming you back in June.
Kind regards.
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent value for money. Wine and chocolates in room was a lovely touch and having a telly in the bath was rather fab. Dinner very good and nothing too much for dining room staff.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear P Baker
Many thanks for your guest feedback
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your TV in the bathroom,
I will pass on your kind comments to the Restaurant staff.
Hotel General Manager
The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees

Been to Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!