“Absolutely the greatest (in Tunica)!!!”

Gold Strike Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Murfreesboro
“Absolutely the greatest (in Tunica)!!!”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

We had a little snafu with checkin, arrived 3:30, checkin is 4:00, had a small problem locating our reservation, however we were warmly rewarded with free Buffets. The staff was always smiling and friendly. Let me say the buffet was great for breakfast & dinner. Prices for buffet and the Cafe were very reasonable. Sunday buffet was brunch with champane and all the rest. We have stayed at the best including Belagio and the casino was great and in keeping with the size of the hotel. For those who want less noise and less smokers try the 2nd floor slots and poker tournament. The room was spacious and comfortable with large flat screen tv and very quiet. The pool was small, but when comparing with three other casinos was par and had 2 hot tubs. We visited Roadhouse, Bally's and Fitz did not have any desire to go to gamble. Harrahs seemed would be a challenge if staying there because how everything is spread out.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Korean first
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed June 22, 2010

This place reminded me of the Picadilly, old people and smokers everywhere. I think i need to get a couple new lungs after a weekend at the goldstrike. The pool sucks too. It's about the size of a large bathtub. Rooms were so so, LOUD people stayed next to us.....The Chicago steakhouse in the goldstrike was good....Probably staying at the Horseshoe next time.

Georgia
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Stayed at Gold Strike for a comped overnight on June 5. I was able to check-in shortly after Noon with no waiting, no problem. I checked out early the next morning and it was just as pleasant and easy. The room was on the 7th floor and I could see the lights of the neighboring casinos. It was clean, of standard size; and had a coffee pot in the room which is not the norm when you stay most casino hotels. Although there were no towels when I arrived in the room, housekeeping was on the floor prepping other rooms and gave me an armful with a smile. Gambled for hours until dinner; arriving early more slots were open. Had small wins which kept me going until dinner at the Chicago Steakhouse. After dinner it was a bit difficult to get to favorite slots; the casino gets very crowded in the evenings.

Dinner was enjoyable. You can go casually or chicly dressed and feel comfortable either way. The menu is solid; the pricing fair for the items offered with the portions large. They have a nicely balanced wine menu. The wait staff is pleasant, timing when they come to check on re-fills, next course, etc. without being obnoxious.

I usually stay at Gold Strike when I need a quick weekend getaway and always have a good experience. If you don't drive your own car into Tunica, I absolutely recommend renting a car if you can. I always do since I fly into Memphis;and it makes it easy to get around when you need a break or simply want to run an errand. Otherwise, it's nearly impossible to get anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed June 6, 2010

This was our first visit to Goldstrike. Everytime we've ever stayed in Tunica, we were allowed to check in early; however, we were told that check-in would not begin until 4. We arrived back for check-in at 3:45 p.m., only to find the entire lobby filled with people waiting to check in. It took over 30 minutes just to check in. We made our reservation a month in advance and were told we would have a river view on an upper floor. When we arrived, we were given a room on the eleventh floor. After complaining, we were moved to the twenty first floor, However, I suppose a river view is different things to different people. Don't expect one at that "resort". I say "resort" because you are forced to pay a resort fee; however, during our entire stay the pool and spa, which are what makes this place a resort, were closed. This also covers the two mini bottles of water in your room. Personally, I would rather have saved that $10.00 and brought my own water. There is also no refridgerator in this room unless you want to pay an additional charge.

One amusing point of the check-in process was the fake accent that every front desk worker had, regardless of race. That was priceless. I wonder what school they go to to learn that!

All in all, this room is no better than the $20.00 room we could have gotten from Resorts. We will definitely stay elsewhere next time.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We had a wonderful and way-too-short stay here May 27-28. Were greeted at checkin with an even lower rate than when we booked the room. Found the room to be very spacious with 2 complimentary bottles of water, which you need after the Mississippi heat. Swimming pool was small and one of the two hot tubs was not much warmer than a nice bath. Buffet was good with many selections. Casino had good airflow and even though there was smoking going on, it did not linger and become a cloud over and around you.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Tuscaloosa, AL
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Room ws very nice. Desk clerks nice. Players club lady was unfriendly. I wished I would have had the other lady because she was very nice to the people she was waiting on. Casino was hot temperature wise. I don't mind spending money but being uncomfortable sucks. Walked to Horseshoe and casino was roomier and cooler. Walked to Roadhouse and it was hot there too and smelled like urine and beer. Karioke was so loud and awful I couldn't even hear my machine.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Stayed at the Goldstirke for my 40th birthday weekend. The rooms were large,clean, and very comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. The buffet was very good.
The downside: The pool was laughable it was so tiny. If thats the best that they could do they should'nt have even bothered to have a pool. It was work to get a drink in the casino. There were very few waitresses and it was 25-30 min. to get a drink.
Overall I did enjoy my stay and would probably stay there again, the good outweighed the bad.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple