“Probably the Best Place to Stay in Tunica” 4 of 5 bubbles

Gold Strike Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Arlington, Virginia
“Probably the Best Place to Stay in Tunica”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2010

It was a toss up of staying here versus the Horseshoe. After reading the reviews we stayed at Gold Strike, but it may be a close toss up. I don't think I would stay at any of the other Tunica properties though. Tunica seems to be lacking a Venetian or Wynn level of experience and these two places may be the closest you will get to it.
Good - Nice lobby, clean room, good service, action focused casino, reasonable table minimums, easy comps.
Meh - the mattress was a bit shoddy (the room was definitely clean though), the buffet sucked (they need to practice more just-in-time placement of food rather than just putting a bunch of food out to sit) - would definitely not eat at the buffet again but that said pickings are slim in relative terms as quality dining options seem slim in Tunica period; every casino has the classic upscale/expensive steakhouse but for the most part finding a nice mid-to-upper restaurant was tough.

If you are staying any nights in downtown Memphis (1/2 hour north) I high recommend the Hampton Inn on Beale Street - it's clean, upscale, and the location is impossible to beat.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Recruiting

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Korean first
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

We stayed at Treasure Island In Las Vegas this past summer and it was wonderful. This past month we decided to go to Tunica, we usually stay at Harrahs properties since they seem to own the majority of casinos in Tunica.

This time we stayed at the Gold Strike an MGM property and it was superb.
Clean beautiful rooms. The buffet is the best, they even serve wine and beer with their meals at no additional charge. Be sure you use those comp points and eat and sleep free.

The casino isnt smoky like Roadhouse and Horseshoe next door. I wish Harrahs who owns these two would make sure they had all their slots working and pumped more oxygen into their casinos or doing something about the smoke. We gambled mostly at the Gold Strike due to the slots all working and newer, cleaner and didnt notice the smoke

If you are going to stay at a casino just as well choose a MGM property and get the best of both worlds, A superb hotel and a great casino.

Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2010

This was our first trip to Tunica to gamble, so I didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by Gold Strike. Very pretty hotel with nice, clean rooms. Friendly staff. At the end of our stay, our room and meals were comped. Would defintely stay here again. Hope to return soon.

Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2009

after playing a machine, I went to cash out which they give you cash tickets now, I moved to another machine, No machine would take cash tickets, the ticket was dated 1991, I took my ticket to the cashier, they stated they could not take this coupon because of the date on the ticket, That Casino was not even there in 1991. No one was willing to help me. We was up all night due to a couple fighting next door, they kept slamming there door, they threw each others clothes in the hall. We finally called Security at 2:00 Am they stayed out side our door with them for about 1 1/2 hour, after they left at 4:00 the doors started back slamming. Stains on bedding.

6 Thank gkbm
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2009

We took a weekend trip to Tunica and I was very pleased with the hotel. I'm not much of a gambler or buffet eater (plus I am a city girl), so I was super skeptical of this trip. I was very pleased at the price we paid to stay two weekend nights. We booked through Travelocity as it had the best deal at the time. The hotel was bustling but the hotel seems very classy. I liked that this hotel is owned by the MGM companies. We ate at the Chicago steakhouse the first night and I was quite pleased. It's a little pricey like a good steakhouse, so go prepared. We were pleased with all the food we ordered. On the second night, we ventured to the Paula Deen buffet at Harrah's which was fine, but I wasn't floored having eaten at the original Lady and Sons before. The Gold Strike Casino was nice as far as casinos go, but I only spent and hour or two there as I was not winning any money! I was very pleased with the rooms as they are very spacious (including the bathroom). The only downside is that there is no business center if you need access to the computer while there and wireless is ridiculous.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
southaven
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

I have been a member to the casino for 8 years and i have never had a bad moment! yes i have won and lost some too but thats the name of the game! me and my spouse love the food! Cheesecake my fav! his philly cheese steak! so we have and still will recommend this Hotel/Casino to all our family and friends :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta Ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

The Tunica casino area has two clusters of three casinos close together with three more casinos scattered over acres of flat cotton fields, dead armadillos and not much else. We choose the Gold Strike Casino and Hotel on our arrival there, mostly because we liked the look of its spacious lobby and because it was one of three casinos grouped so closely together that it seems like one complex. This casino pod has the Gold Strike, the Horseshoe and the Sheraton with a blues night club in between that is opening soon. It's an attractive looking place though the casinos have less individual character than say Atlantic City casinos or Biloxi before Katrina. The other casino pod has Hollywood and Resorts within walking disance of each other across a huge parking lot and Sam's Town across a busy street.

Our room was on the sixth floor and had a very industrial view of the parking garage but was nicely decorated in a style I'd call modern elegance with nice bed linen, a pillow top mattress and a wall mounted flat screen TV. The bathroom was not as upgraded as the furnishings in the room and had a slightly grungy feel with some blackened grout around the dinky tub and a toilet with a flush so loud we called it the flush of doom. There was no mini fridge or microwave, only very basic cable with pay movies and wifi at 12.95 a day.

There's a very small salt water pool, a salt water Jacuzzi and a regular Jacuzzi in an indoor area but it is kind of hard to reach. You have to go down the elevators to the lobby, be briefly in view of the casino across the lobby and walk through the spa service area to reach the pool area. It wasn't a comfortable arrangement.

The big plus of the hotel and the Tunica area is the friendly nature of its staff. They obviously feel that it is important to make visitors to Tunica feel welcomed. We checked out most of the casinos and found that to be true any place we went in Tunica.

The Gold Strike casino is pretty busy and had the best free drinks but if you aren't in the mood for loud energy, you can walk over to the quieter Sheraton and stop at the Horseshoe to grab a Starbuck's on the way, I love to casino hop, so I really liked how close together these three are, especially since there is no public transport we could discover between the nine casinos.

I'd say the standout feature of the Goldstrike is its buffet. The line can be a little slow but the space there is fairly nice, the food is a cut above most buffet places and they have nice touches like serving free wine or beer during dinner service. The servers are very attentive, the table is bussed promptly and the waiters are attentive and pleasant. The breakfast buffet is very good with a wide variety of meats and pastries. We are fond of breakfast buffets and this one may be the best we've ever found. The only drawback is that Mississippi apparently does not have laws against smoking in restaurants and other indoor places, so as good as the food is, you are also going to inhale a little smoke with it even in the non smoking area.(This is true of all of Tunica - we didn't see one smoke free casino floor or restaurant.)

Meals are comped at most of the casino buffets for a small amount of time gambling, though I really disliked the Horseshoe dinner buffet. It has too much variety so the quality of any one dish is hit or miss and the arrangement of the space is pretty horrible with the tables on top of each other.

I'd say the Gold Strike and the Tunica area is a great place for casual fun with a few small touches of elegance and luxury at the Gold Strike.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple