“Hollywood is great”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
Athens, Alabama
“Hollywood is great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

I have been going to Hollywood since it opened. I go about once a month. Would not go anywhere else. Hotel, food and service is wonderful. Joann is my host and she is great. I don't play over $1 on slots and $10 on blackjack, but they treat me as well as if I were someone that played much more. If you are looking for a casino where you will be treated well, give Hollywoo a try.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
MO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

Just got back from a Dental continuing ed weekend with the staff. We couldn't check into our rooms until close to 7p.m., which was a hassle trying to get checked in between breaks. If that wasn't bad enough, we got to the room and started unpacking. I opened up the closet to put away clothes and there in the corner on the floor was a pair of nasty dirty pink panties! I checked the shower, and the tub behind the plastic shower curtain was black with mold. The bathroom floor had curly hairs in the corners....not ours.....When we got together with our staff, one of the girls told us they found an empty wine bottle under her bed, and a hair net...so, I would assume that if the maids can't clean up large items left in the rooms, then I doubt they are cleaning and disinfecting any of the surfaces. When we first arrived in our room, we commented on how it smelled like it was nice and clean because you could smell bleach. Then, the next morning when going down the hall, I looked into a room the maid was cleaning and saw her spray the air with what smelled like bleach as she was leaving. Don't be fooled with that clean smell...disinfect the room yourself...I will never go back to that filthy place...oh, and not to forget the pool. The whole surface was oily and filmy. Not many people even tried to swim...never saw it get cleaned the entire weekend....the sun patio had a few dead birds and trash...makes for a relaxing weekend don't you think...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Akumalholic

Travelers are raving about these Tunica hotels

alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2010

Terrible mattresses in the double rooms, not the tempur-pedic ones that everyone talks about being so great. Those mattresses are in the king rooms. Worst bed I have ever slept on period!
The pool area was so incredibly hot that it was difficult to be there if you weren't in the pool. Pool closes for everyone under 18 at 8pm---the reason we chose this hotel was for the indoor pool-- for the children. There's just nothing at all here for families with children or teens.
Customer service is nonexistent. Rude staff from reservations to check-in to housekeeping.
The smell of smoke is expected in a casino environment but, the smell here is like an assault. The ventilation system must not work at all.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank sb36203
Tupelo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

I use to love Hollywood, when friends or family was with me and wanted to go somewhere else I would say no and stay at Hollywood. But now my preferences are beginning to change.

Called for reservations (comp) for 2 queen beds and smoking. Was told if not there by 6:00 PM to call and give credit card number to hold room. We were late and I did call and gave the credit card number to hold the room.

Got to the desk to check in like I have always done in the past. Clerk started searching computer and said that there was not any smoking rooms available was completely sold out. Really now, the parking lot was only half full and they were sold out! Told the clerk that I had called and given my credit card to hold my room, she said that it only held the room not the preferences. She had a room with 2 queens in non smoking so I took them.

Went up to the 4th floor with baggage no bell hop in sight and tried to get into the room. The keys would not work. Knocked on the door because I thought I heard someone in the room and sure enough a lady came to the door. Was very embarassed. I called the desk from the hall phone to keep from going down and the clerk said we would have to come to the desk.. Went down and the clerk was very rude, so I asked for the Supervisor, said he had just went to the cage. Waited several minutes and did not come back so went to Promotional Office they looked into the computer and gave me another room. Still not smoking got the same answer sold out.

Went to room and put up luggage and then went to gamble a little. Decided to go to the room and get some rest. Stopped by and got a burger out of the diner. Went back to the room and guess what! KEY DOESN"T WORK so now I have to make another trip to the desk.

I am a senior citizen and not in good health so I sent my daughter to get the new keys.
She was told that we were not checked into that room but another completely different from the first two. She showed him the keys that was given to us and he still would not give her the key said that I had to come get them.

She told him that I might have even left casino to go to another. He finally gave her another set of keys. With out an apoligy or I am sorry or anything just like he didn't care.

If something is not done about the service and attitude, they have lost me.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank SassyKate
al
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

My cousin's family and i took a 3 day trip to the Hollywood hotel and casino, there were some good things about the hotel and some no so pleasant....the rooms were clean but the mattresses were not the greatest...if you stay here i was told to get a king suite....the staff was very rude and sometimes not all helpful...tunica isnt a kid friendly place. we picked this casino just for the indoor pool which closes for kids @ 8 pm but ok for adults to stay until 10...the teenagers could not even go into the gift shops...tunica needs to make entertainment for kids because sams town was the only casino i saw with an arcade for the kids to ' hang out'....the breakfast buffet wasnt great but the only buffet in tunica was the paula deen buffet..the casino itself was ok as far as slots etc....the only way id ever return to hollywood if i was offered free nites and a suite...the beds are bad...as far as memphis graceland , the peabody ducks and the backbeat tour of memphis was worth the money....if you go on the backbeat tour make sure you request memphis jones as your tour guide...good musican and story teller....we had an elderly lady in our group and when she asked for extra towels , was told she had fill out papers for them... we did request 2 king rooms because of the bed situation and the staff member had us to be moved, but when we asked to buy another room instantly the king rooms disappeared....like i said the only way id ever stay there again is i get a free suite

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank krp901
Goodlettsville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2010

I've been to Tunica several times and have stayed at various hotels and casinos over the years. In comparison to alternate properties, this place didn't meet our expectations. We only stayed here because everyone else was sold out. It's not as big or busy as other properties which is the only upside.

We stayed in a mini-suite because they were sold out of all other rooms by the time we arrived. Furniture was old and damaged, cracks in the walls, dirty draperies and an unpleasant smell. We also noticed the water tasted aweful.

As far as the casino itself, fast drink service and even at the bars, we never paid for a drink. Again, it wasn't very crowded which can be nice. At times, however, I enjoy the hussle and bustle of a busy casino. We were going to leave and go to another casino but decided not to drive as we had several drinks.

Overall, it was "okay". The rooms really aren't that big of a deal when we go to a casino because we're rarely in the room anyway.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

During our recent trip upon requested non-smoking room due to my heath problems requiring a breathing machine. Upon entering our room approximately 1:00 AM smell a strong oder of smoke in our room. Call front desk - supervisor out and would not be back for 45 minutes. As we received no response at 4:45 AM call back and supervisor said nothing they could do for us as hotel was full however would send security to room. Security guard said had sinus condition and could not smell anything. We requested him to knock on the room next door as we have determined that was the area where smoke was coming from. Security guard refused. Next morning called Tim Wilmott COO of Penn Gaming. Admin. asst. took message. A few hours later spoke to operations manager who said in his past experience with other properties supervisor and security should have addressed issue with room where smoke was coming from....Spoke to VP marketing and GM apologized for inconvenience however stated most of their clients smoked therefore could not police non-smoking policies throughout this facility. Next day check with house cleaning staff and they verified and let us in the room where there were cigarettes and the STRONG smell of cigarette smoke.
Non-smokers you will be discriminated against and are not welcome at this property

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple