“Restaurant Review of Sams Town Tunica”

Sam's Town Hotel & Gambling Hall
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
Nixa, Missouri
“Restaurant Review of Sams Town Tunica”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

The buffet now has less of a variety than it ever did. Except for possibly 1 or 2 items, the food is dried out, overcooked and the hot foods are cold. The breakfast eggs had the consistency of BBs, could not even pick them up with the fork. This buffet is good for people on a diet because I can guarantee you will be hungry when you leave. Next we had a $100 comp for Twains supposed fine dining. To start with I ordered a beer which I asked the waiter not to pour because I did not want a head on it. He proceeded to pour anyway saying he knew what he was doing and had a half glass of foam. Took that beer back and I poured my own with no problem. My wife ordered Zinfandel and wound up with some sort of dry burgundy, which they had to exchange for what she wanted, pink Zinfandel. Now here comes the bread with some frozen butter that was unspreadable. The waiter informed us that they have to keep it a certain temperature by order of the Health Dept. I guess he just forgot it had to be defrosted before use. He took that back and brought some that was softer. As you can see we were off to a bad start. Ordered the crab dip and I think they substituted salt cubes for crab because it was nothing but salty. I ordered the angel hair pasta with olive oil and shrimp which was so dry it was impossible to swallow. The menu failed to say they were using a teaspoon of olive oil. My wife ordered chicken marsala which she makes herself and has also ordered at other fine dining establishments. This arrived made with a chicken leg thrown over a clump of mashed potatoes with some rubbery green beans.
She should have realized she was in trouble when the waiter handed her a rather large knife. Chicken marsala is boneless chicken that is fork tender. Not sure where this chef interned, not even McDonalds in my opinion. This is a restaurant trying to fit in with big boys and failing miserably. Another thing that is strange about the place is the atmosphere. Not sure what they are going for here but usually when a group of people go out to dinner you hear people talking and laughing, this place exudes a mortuary atmosphere. There were people right in back of us and did not hear a peep out of them. The waiters and waitresses do not wear smiles on their faces either.
However on the brighter side, eat at Snacks N Stuff. Their food is always good and the people who serve you are always cheerful and friendly.
Please do not offer me any more comps to Twains. This is one place that I will never ever return to.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RedHot823
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Sam's Town Hotel & Gambling Hall, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your review and taking the time to write a detailed description of your dining experience. We sincerely apologize for not meeting our guests expectations none the less exceeding them and will immediately forward your comments to our Restaurant Operations Manager and our Executive Chef. Again, we appreciate your time and helpful feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We had a room on the 7th floor, and it was so quiet and so very nicely furnished. Our room did have a fridge, and the furnishings and decor looked almost new! Bathroom is large and pretty, and the whole place is just very clean and inviting. As for the food, even though the buffet was free, it's not the best, but is ok. Just go across the street to MGM or Resorts and you will find very good food at good prices. The casino at Sam's is fun...lots of new slots...and the whole place looks clean and doesn't smell smokey, and that's a big plus! Would definitely recommend it. If you find you need a break from gambling, they do have a workout room and an outdoor pool.

Room Tip: Take the upper floors for less noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jane e
Boerne, Texas
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My daughter and I were traveling to New Hampshire from Texas. I always wanted to stop in Tunica and gamble and I looked up rooms in the area and found this casino. The pictures on trip advisor were great. I booked thru Bconnect (players club) and got the room for under $40. We arrived late and got checked in. The room is clean and nice. We went downstairs to see if we could get something to eat but the buffet was closed. The 24 hr place to eat, Smokey Joes was very expensive and the food is did not look that great. We just went into the casino and played blackjack for a while and doubled my money. We slept good and woke up and ate the breakfast buffet. The buffet was good and it's like other casinos. There are two other casinos nearby but no other places to eat without driving a few miles.

Room Tip: If you are arriving late and are hungry, expect to pay a lot for mediocre food if the bufet is close...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Bill L
Somerville, Alabama
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Another great trip to Sam's Town. The room was excellent, all the food you could eat, plus new slots everywhere. One small improvement that would be better is the number of drink ladies they have on the floor. I only saw two in the slot area. If your eating at the buffet, you should consider
eating about 530, lines can get long. The staff at the hotel were very nice, I was able to check-in at 1230 on a Friday and the room was very clean and ready with a frig.

Room Tip: Be polite, Try to check-in early before buses arrive and they get to busy. Small chat help if they a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We visited Tunica looking for a closer alternative to Vegas. There are about 6 casinos spread out between miles of cornfields and tumbledown farmhouses. It takes a good 10-15 mintues to drive from one to another. Whoever designed this set up had to be crazy. A few positive things about Sam's town. The videopoker is great. The food at the buffet is good and reasonable. The room was clean. Now the down side. The housekeeping staff need training. They woke us up each day yelling down the halls to each other. They carried loud walkie talkies. They piled up dirty linen in the hallways and came around at the end of the day to collect them-disgusting. It was an experience we will not forget and we will not be returning to Tunica. In time I am sure Tunica's casinos will all be closed. The next time we'll splurge and go to Vegas.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Serivce at Sam's Town Hotel & Gambling Hall, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your review and comments, we truly appreciate your time and are happy you enjoyed playing Video Poker during your visit. We do apologize for the disruption while staying in our hotel and will inform our Director of Operations immediately.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We visited Tunica in December, during that terrible ice storm. This hotel was our first stop on the evening, but all of the restaurants were either closed or under construction. We will visit sometime in the future and give a full review.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Rooms:

Wifi available and good. Much better selection of television channels in case you have to stay in your room during a suprise thunderstorm like I did. Like others have said, its a property that people use, so some wear and tear, but no major issues. There is finally enough room at the snack bar if you want to sit down. Staff friendly as usual.

Gaming, some of the issues in recent past seem to have been worked out. More choices in table games, and slot machines seem newer and thinned out. Upstairs mostly golden oldie slots, but hey, occasionally we need a break from too much noise.

Buffet, I still avoid the seafood Saturday, its still mostly fried for a lot of dough. The Asian station is under appreciated, everyone seems to walk by on the way to the Corky's ribs, but give it try, especially the custom stir fry. Worth the wait. The rest of the food, well, to my Southern friends, remember Picadilly? just no dilly plates and you can go back for more. Overall, much better than last year.

Room Tip: I like the blue room tower. Noise is not really an issue unless you are at either end of the hall...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo