“A Clean Place”

Sam's Town Hotel & Gambling Hall
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
Reviewed August 20, 2011

As a previous customer and being attached to a casino, I received a comp for three nights (Sun thru Thurs).

This is not the first time I have stayed there.

There was a small problem the first night we arrived. We were told that the outside laundry service did not deliver. The room had 1 king size bed. They were short a pillow case. We only had three instead of four. They service personnel was told not to be concerned about the extra one.

Other than that, the room was very clean. The cable TV channels were extremely limited. The WI-FI limitations are not good. there is only two areas available. About a year ago, I was told that they were expanding the WI-FI would be available is all rooms. Very disappointed.

As far as going back for lodging, I will.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 14, 2011

I recently stayed with my family in the Sam’s Town Casino Hotel in Tunica, Mississippi. Though it was a great experience to be with my parents, sister, niece, and immediate family…..our stay was marred by horrendous customer service by several staff and horrible facility conditions.
1. My sister approached a maid in the hallway to ask for six additional towels. The maid had her sign a form after taking the towels. Little did we know at the time but, by signing this form, my sister was giving the maid permission not to clean the room that day.
2. The next day a maid knocked on the door where my daughters and niece were staying. My daughter was not leaving the room at the moment, so the maid told this 14 year old that she had to sign the paper. Again, they were getting a child to sign a form that said they did not have to clean the room that day. They never bothered to explain this to her.
3. We understand that there is going to be smoking in the casino but the smoke gets unbearable at times and areas reserved for non-smokers included only one small location.
4. We went to swim in the hotel pool with our children. I have never seen such a filthy pool that was still open for use. A brown layer of dirt covered the bottom of both the pool and hot tub. This is a health hazard and if your staff do not have time to maintain the pool to local health standards, then it should be shut down.
5. The most embarrassing series of events occurred on our final evening and day there. On our last night, my father, as well as my husband, sister, and myself sat talking in the room at about 11:30 p.m. We were all talking in normal tones when the people next door began beating on the wall and telling us to go to bed. They continued this several times. The next morning, my husband and I woke up and began to get ready to go down for breakfast. There was not much talk but the morning news was on the TV. We received a call from someone, who never identified herself and just blurted to my husband that the people in room 9151 were complaining that we were too loud. We went down for breakfast and no sooner had we returned, then we got a second call from what sounded to be the same person yet again. She did not identify herself but immediately asked, “Do you need security?” My husband asked her to repeat the question because he was caught off guard. She repeated the question and he said “no.” My husband had no idea why he was being asked this question. Two security officers for the hotel arrived at our door about 10 minutes later and there was no reason for them to have been called.

In summary: we were lied to by staff and one even takes advantage of our teenage daughter to sign something in order to get out of cleaning our rooms. Cleaning continues to be an issue with the pools. Facility construction and maintenance is horrible as it does not allow for adequate ventilation from smokers and has such thin walls between rooms as to create a situation of noise that never should have been an issue. Finally, a person who does not announce themselves calls and threatens us twice and then security shows up while we are trying to pack to leave. By this time, we could not get out of that hotel fast enough.

There were four positives which bear mentioning:
1. All the bellman, were pleasant and professional.
2. The food was good at the banquet breakfasts and dinners.
3. The cashiers in the casino were very customer service oriented.
4. The security officers were kind and made the best of a bad situation.

Unfortunately, these positives were not enough to overcome our overall dissatisfaction. We will make it our business to let our friends, professional ,national, regional and local agency connections as well as general consumer websites, aware that this is not a pleasant place to either vacation or to conduct conferences.

Room Tip: Free High Speed Internet not available in room and tv reception was bad.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My home away from home in Tunica. A very nice nice hotel with comfortable rooms, excellent service and pleasant atmosphere. Unlike Vegas, Tunica is for gambling only. They do get a few nice shows passing thru, especially country, and they have a few very nice steak houses...but you go there to gamble.
Sams Town has a very nice casino with an excellent selection of slot machines, a good size area of video poker (but not near what you would find in Vegas) and a few tables with low minimums.
There buffet is the best in Tunica (sorry Paula Dean).
All of the casinos are relatively near by, but you have to drive to them and there are no shuttle busses.
Sams Town is the only one which has covered parking...and thats important in the summer, because its hot and humid.
It makes for a nice break in between Vegas trips.

Room Tip: I tend to ask for the higher rooms since they have a better view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank CaptainBill2010
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Probably the nature of being a casino hotel, but it makes my skin crawl just being in the place. Pool looked sketchy, there were no towels available. Maybe this is the best hotel in Tunica as claimed. If so, I'd stay away.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 16, 2011

This was our first time staying here. We stayed from July 11-July 15, 2011. The room was wonderful. Our beds were changed and the room was cleaned daily. They only had about 13 television channels which weren't that good to watch. The blackout curtains were AMAZING!! We had to call housekeeping everyday for towels and face towels. Staff was very polite. Not having wi-fi in the rooms was a BIG DISADVANTAGE. It was only free in public areas (i.e the lobby, snacks 'n stuff, etc.) and people were always smoking. Everywhere you turned, there was someone lighting up a cigarette or finishing one. The Great Buffet was good and it had many food varieties.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed at Sam’s Town for a weekend trip in a king room June 23rd and 26th. This is my third time staying at Sam’s Town and probably my least enjoyable stay, but overall we had a good time. Check in was quick and easy. I like the free covered parking, especially in the summer heat. Not having WiFi in the room was miserable and 3G ended right when we walked in the hotel so forget using your phone/laptop/hotspot. The room was clean and modern so we were happy for the most part. There are some cons, though:
-I had previously only stayed in the 2 room suites which were really nice. The regular rooms are pretty small. They are also lined up back to back so you’ll hear everything going on. Hairdryers, TV and kids in the next room. And no mini-fridge or bar area. I’ll pay for a suite next time for the extra space.
-The air conditioning in the room and casino wasn’t cooling down at all during the day. We had the room air set on 60 and it only cooled down at night after the sun had been down for quite a while. The casino was hot too and a couple of the dealers were complaining of the temp had the pit bosses bring them fans while we were playing. I guess this is common problem, because I saw at least 3 groups checking out had box fans with their bags. I’m not an unusually hot natured person, but I expected the hotel air to keep the room cooled at least to a comfortable temperature. The next summer trip we take I’ll have to pack a fan- at least to circulate the air around in the room so it doesn’t get as stuffy.
- The back entrance to the casino near the hotel elevators was boarded up?! I’m not sure what construction is being done in a doorway with 3 stairs but it sucked walking from our room all the way around passed the front desk and to the casino.

Besides that we had a great time and would recommend Sam’s Town. They’re casino is our favorite with friendly dealers and fun slots. It’s the perfect size too- not too big like Harrah’s but big enough to have fun and not wait for a table or your favorite slot.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aphla
Reviewed June 22, 2011

"What's their problem?" was the question that crossed my mind many many times when interacting with hotel staff. Short or rude, or both... They are either not paid at all, or they all chose a wrong industry to work in. The room was clean though, and food was tasty.

• Stayed: June 2011