“Disappointed this time around”
Review of Horseshoe Tunica

Horseshoe Tunica
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
GreenLeadersSilver level
north ga
“Disappointed this time around”
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Arrived on Dec. 31st to find that we had no room at the Horseshoe. We were told at the front desk that they had over booked and we would be staying at Harrah's Veranda. I informed the desk that this was unacceptable for I had meade these resverations 3 months in advance. After 20 minutes or so the desk worker said he had a room for us at the Horseshoe. What a dissappointed it was when we entered the room. It was a very small, dark room with the smell of smoke! The bathroom was very small and dirty around the tub. The last time we stayed there we were really impressed with the room but this time, not so happy. Before we had a deluxe room which was really great but this little closet they called a room must be for the people they don't care about because it was bad! As far as the gambling, well we lost everything we took with us! Nothing was hitting on New Year's Eve, that is except for the High Roller room. The buffet was outrageous! I will say though the New Year's Eve party in Bluesville was great! The Rat Pack put on a good show and the service was wonderful! Even New Year's Day the machines were still tight! It will be a while before we return to the Horseshoe!

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
Kentucky
Reviewed January 20, 2010

I am from Kentucky and a friend and I decided to take a mini vacation. I have been to Tunica numerous times and to me the Horseshoe is where the action is. It is between the Gold Strike and Roadhouse so if one is not going your way just hop to the next one. Word to the wise: The Roadhouse IMHO is of lower class and much smaller. They only have two craps tables and about a dozen other table games. Back to the Horseshoe... Check-in has always been fast and everytime I've asked for a river view my request has been granted. My rooms have always been clean and what I reserved online. Comps are very easy to receive at the tables, just ask your dealer to get the pit boss. Drink service seems to get slower as the night wears on and it gets more crowded. The have a live band every night in the bar and they can be heard all over the casino. Where most casinos only give host service if you are Diamond the Horseshoe offers it to Platinum as well. I have always liked the selection at the buffet but if you're staying a few days make sure to go to Harrah's to the Paula Dean buffet, it's AMAZING! Check-out is also great. My room is always comped and I put the security deposit on my CC so I just drop my key in the express check-out and away I go. If you are traveling with a family (i.e. kids under 21) the Gold Strike would be a better option. They have a video arcade and indoor spa to keep the kids entertained for a while. The rooms are very modern and clean, bathrooms are large, and the safe is easy to use. You DO PAY for internet (I think they missed the memo that it's 2010 now). Can't say enough good things about it. Valet can take a while to get your car but if you're in a hurry just call down and request it ahead of time.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Olive Branch, MS
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My husband and I arrived at the Horseshoe about 3pm on December 31, 2009. We did not stay the night but thought with the points we had and the ones we would get from gambling we could maybe get a comp room if they had any available. Between 3:30pm and 8:00pm, we spent $800 on the slots of our money plus we won maybe $150 and put that back in. At 8pm I went to the card counter to see if we had enough points for 2 buffets. She actually laughed at me. She said because it was New Year's Eve, the point system was completely different. The points were set so high that we would have to spend $1,000 each in the slots to get 2 free buffets. The buffetts were $35 each. We have eated there before for free on our points when the cost was $22 and the food was not even worth FREE!! WE ate there at the buffett on XMAS day and they had lobster. It was not cleaned at all and there was gray matter all over it and no butter. They had cold shrimp and it also was not de-veined or de-pooped! The slot machines were so tight except for the High Limit slots which were going off right and left. We blew over $1,000 that night and brought home $6.28 worth of points for comps! Also the psople were extremely rude. If you even pulled yourself up from the chair to re-situate yourself, someone would grab your slot machine or hover over you for an hour waiting for your machine. Then of course when you finally got up to cash in a ticket for money or to use the rest-room, they of course sat down and IMMEDIATELY WON ALOT!!! and then they hollered out to you that they "Won The Big One!"

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MississippiQueen59
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed December 20, 2009

Arrived this afternoon to the Horseshoe and staying in a classic (most basic) room. They have all just been renovated and are super deluxe for the price (we paid 40 bucks a night for Sun. and Mon. nights). The beds are super comfy, the wood work is gorgeous, room has two large tasteful mirrors, a mini fridge in a nice wooden cabinet, a coffee maker and a 52" flat screen. Bathroom all new and very nice. This is perhaps the best room in which we have stayed at a casino property. Also, after an hour at the blackjack table, we were comped two dinner buffets. Such a deal.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 18, 2009

The weekday rate for a room was great. Like $40 or $50 depending on how close to the elevators you wanted to be. It can be a long walk to your room.... but who couldn't use the free exercise?

The rooms were nice and up to date. However, the towels in the bathroom, almost all of them, had stains on them! Yuck! I only had one big towel that looked decently clean enough to use... Please get rid of your stained towels Horseshoe! There was also some other cleanliness issues, but nothing worth worrying about.

There was a fridge, and a flat screen TV on the wall.

Would stay here again, but hope they stop cutting corners on the cleanliness issues!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Illinois
Reviewed December 9, 2009

I booked my (single King) room directly on the hotel's own website, for $55 (weekday). Two days later my colleague booked his room by phone, and got his for $10 less! Arrived after 10PM. Ok, first THE GOOD. There is free, covered parking. The elevators worked efficiently, and the bed was fairly comfortable and had good quality, clean sheets. The bathroom had basic amenities (shampoo, conditioner, lotion) and standard hotel-grade towels that were clean and absorbent. The flat-screen TV had limited channel selection, but was nice. There was a free (empty) refrigerator. The climate control worked, albeit loudly. Now THE BAD: I got lost on my way to the room TWICE, first because it was not clear what floor my room was on, and second because there were no directional signs on the 2nd floor showing where the bedrooms are (the elevator puts you out among meeting rooms and ballrooms and fitness center). When I got to the room, I found there was NO desk, NO hotel guide telling me what services are available or where, where, NO information on in-room dining. The tap water tasted horrible. Wireless internet was not free (shame on them!). As I prepared to retire, the bed linens started falling off the bed right away because they did not use fitted bottom sheets. Further, the room had two double beds, not the king bed I had reserved. And the hotel was easily less than 10% capacity. And at midnight the alarm clock went off, having been pre-set by either the housekeeping or the previous guest--and it was not easy to figure out how to turn it off! Now THE UGLY: The wall-mounted lamp fell apart as I tried to turn it off, exposing me to bare wiring, and leaving the lamp dangling from the wall. There is NO way the housekeepers didn't know about this, because the lamps were turned on when I got to the room. I could have electrocuted myself on this. There is no excuse for this safety hazard.

I booked this hotel after reading very negative reviews of other properties here at tripadvisor. I would recommend the Horseshoe only if you are willing to complain to the desk and insist you get the room you booked, and are prepared for some malfunctions and safety hazards. Oh, and no matter what hotel you stay at in the Tunica/Robinsonville area, study a map before you go because the signage along the roads is TERRIBLE! We got lost on arriving and on departure!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
chichester
Reviewed November 23, 2009

we are from england we just dropped by chance .the staff were very nice and helpful and rhonda on front desk was great we stayed eight days. everybody was really good even down to the secuity guard who helped when we locked our keys in the car.we had a great time and cant wait to go back

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple