“We Love the Horseshoe!”

Horseshoe Tunica
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We just spent 4 nights at the Horseshoe and it's our favorite place! It's pretty expensive on Saturday nights, so we stayed at Sam's Town the first night - but got a great price for Sunday through Wednesday. Total bill for 4 nights - $145!

What we like: the room is very pleasant. They were remodeled maybe two years ago and our room had a flat screen TV, very comfortable beds and bedding and a lovely bathroom. Not spacious - but it felt like home. We love the casino - lots and lots of table games, lots of $5 blackjack, lots of action. And it's close to both the Sheridan and the Gold Strike, so you can wander between the 3 hotels very easily.

It is extremely easy to get a buffet comped. We play a lot of table games and all you have to do is ask the pit boss. They don't care how much your betting or anything. I don't know how it works if you only play the slot machines - but we asked a question at the Rewards booth and noticed these computer screens off to the right and slid our Player's Card through them - and out popped a buffet ticket! So maybe that's how you get a buffet comp after playing for their advertised half hour for a free meal?

I had a nice win on a quarter machine - enough that they had to hand pay me and give me a W-2!

What we don't like: even though we have requested a king size bed in every reservation and it confirms - we have never received one. I don't know if it has to do with the time we check in (4:00 this trip) or whether they just don't have many (every room we saw as we walked down the hallway was double beds). I wish that they wouldn't confirm a room that they can't give us. And while our room is always lovely, our view is always lousy. We've never been above the 2nd floor (appreciated when there was a tornado warning last spring!), and our view is usually of the air conditioners or the building next door (which had green stuff growing out of the roof gutters this trip!). But we don't go for the view, so it's a minor complaint.

Reviewed October 20, 2009

The casino was great, the food was great, the golfing was great. It's too bad the service sucked so badly. It took a day and a half to get an ironing board, they didn't clean our room and the front desk was unapologetic and no help at all. Other than they handed me the phone to call housekeeping.
It's a shame that the casino staff can be so helpful and the hotel staff just the opposite.
And the spa is NOT in the hotel, it's in another one. Misleading on the website.
We won't stay there again.

Reviewed October 19, 2009

Just got back from an 8 day stay in Tunica. That's right 8 days. My Wife, In-laws and myself cannot say enough nice things about the Horseshoe. From the time we checked in to the time we left we had a wonderful experience. EVERYONE WAS GREAT. Our room was clean and comfortable. The food at the buffet was delicious. Especially the Seafood Buffet on Friday. This is a must. Play 30 minutes in the casino and get a free buffet. ALSO, if you are diamond any floor worker will give you a comp. All you have to do is ask. No line to stand in at the kiosk. We would also recommend the platinum all day tour with Blue City Tours. It takes approximately 8 hours to do the whole thing. It covers all of Memphis and Graceland. For $85 you can't beat it. Lunch and admission to all the Graceland Museums is included. They pick you up and drop you off at the hotel. Paula Dean's Buffet at Harrah's, one price for the whole day was great. For $23 you can eat all your meals there for the day. It was worth every penny. Before you book the Tunica Queen Dinner Cruise make sure that they will be running we made the mistake of not asking and ate dinner on the boat docked. They said the weather was too bad to go out. It would have been nice if they told us that before they took our money. The Captain announced it while we were sitting on the boat waiting to leave. The food was good but for the $45, I'd rather have sat in Jack Binion's Steakhouse for a better meal.

Now that you heard all the good news, the only bad news was CONTINENTAL AIRLINES. We are from New York, and I would walk to Tunica before I ever step foot on another Continental Plane again.

OTHER THAN THAT, IT WAS GREAT GREAT GREAT. We are already planning on going back next year. Nashville first, then on to Tunica.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank NEWYORKTRAVELER99
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Casino took out twice on what should have been one debit I'm still fighting and waiting even though they agree I am right for my money
A bird flying over the food wasted that buffet money
Cashier in buffet rude
seldom could get waited on in the casino

1  Thank unhappy86
Reviewed October 12, 2009

my husband and i stayed 2 nights wed and thursday and not only did we win we had a fantastic room the bed was very comfortable and clean.itwas the best time i have had in a while. ask for the 6th floor

Reviewed October 10, 2009

We don't go to casino's often but we made a point to go back to Horseshoe. It is a fantastic hotel and casino. The rooms are comfy and nicely decorated. We like the slots and the friendly service as well as the comps of the buffet and such. The buffet is the best by far it just doesn't compare to any buffet anywhere.. We just have a great time here and will return again and again...

Reviewed October 1, 2009

I made arrangements with my local casino host, foolishly thinking as a diamond member everything would be fine, WRONG! When we first arrived my friend who is handicapped, picked up her rental wheelchair, we proceeded to the checkin desk, I had asked for a nonsmoking, two queen beds, handicapped room, The first room we were sent to was a smoking room not for the handicapped , I called the front desk and explained that my friend could not get into a bathtub since she is handicapped and need a walk in shower, I was told to come and get a different key, I packed up all of our stuff got the key switched rooms and found the new room had a king bed, was a smoking room, and had a very high bathtub. when I complained I was told thats all they have and I have to deal with, Needless to say our trip was ruined, I thought since I was a diamond member something would done, but the clerks just stared at me, and then ignored me.These employees haven't got a clue.I want to go back to Tunica this October,but you can be assured it will not be at Harrah's Horseshoe properties. the Casino is also very cold. and drafty.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends