“Wonderful!”

Horseshoe Tunica
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We don't go to casino's often but we made a point to go back to Horseshoe. It is a fantastic hotel and casino. The rooms are comfy and nicely decorated. We like the slots and the friendly service as well as the comps of the buffet and such. The buffet is the best by far it just doesn't compare to any buffet anywhere.. We just have a great time here and will return again and again...

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,642)

Reviewed October 1, 2009

I made arrangements with my local casino host, foolishly thinking as a diamond member everything would be fine, WRONG! When we first arrived my friend who is handicapped, picked up her rental wheelchair, we proceeded to the checkin desk, I had asked for a nonsmoking, two queen beds, handicapped room, The first room we were sent to was a smoking room not for the handicapped , I called the front desk and explained that my friend could not get into a bathtub since she is handicapped and need a walk in shower, I was told to come and get a different key, I packed up all of our stuff got the key switched rooms and found the new room had a king bed, was a smoking room, and had a very high bathtub. when I complained I was told thats all they have and I have to deal with, Needless to say our trip was ruined, I thought since I was a diamond member something would done, but the clerks just stared at me, and then ignored me.These employees haven't got a clue.I want to go back to Tunica this October,but you can be assured it will not be at Harrah's Horseshoe properties. the Casino is also very cold. and drafty.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2009

My husband and I drove down to Tunica, MS for a short gambling trip for my birthday. Neither of us had ever been there before and we weren't entirely sure what to expect. We arrived around 6:30 pm local time on a Wednesday evening and pulled into the valet entrance. We were greeted immediately by a friendly valet and bellman. The bellman was quite charming and made sure he got all of the things out of the car we needed and he headed inside to wait for us to check in. The valet was quick to give us our ticket and take care of our car.

We walked into the lobby and to the front desk. There were one or two other guests checking in, but there was no line or wait to get checked in. We were greeted right away and the lady who took care of us was very friendly and welcoming. My husband had paid for our room in advance, so we just had to give them a credit card for a $50 security deposit for our two night stay. Not bad, considering at Harrah's properties in Vegas, it's usually a per night security deposit. Once given our keys, the bellman walked us up to our room and unloaded our luggage for us. We were on the second floor in room 2115, so it made for a quick elevator ride up and down. We had to walk around the corner and down the hall a bit, but it's not really a concern for us to be right on top of the elevators.

Our room was nice, not a suite or anything really special, but it was immaculate and seemed to be somewhat recently updated and I didn't notice any smoke odors or anything like that. The bed had a pillow-top mattress and 5 or 6 really comfy pillows. We slept very well there, very comfortably. Our view was a non-view, though, as we looked out at a wall. Not a big deal as we are generally only in our room to sleep, shower and plan our day.

The bathroom was a decent size - not too big, not too small, with plenty of room to move around after showering. It had a beautiful corner granite vanity, which was a great use of space. There were several clean towels, hand towels and wash cloths, as well as the usual bars of soap, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and shower cap. There was also a compact wall-style hair dryer. We did not use room service or housekeeping. Nor did we visit the spa or fitness center.

If you play poker, this is a good place for you to stay and play. They are particularly generous with food comps. Most places we generally play at give poker players $1 (maybe $2) per hour towards food. The Horseshoe told me that they don't work that way, if you're playing, you eat. We played poker for about 4 hours or so and had comped lunch at the Ace High Snack Bar, which was quite good! I had the BLT and the waffle fries and my husband had the Philly Beef. We both had money on the comps left over for snacks, like candy bars or chips, etc.

The dinner buffet includes lots of seafood selections. I saw a couple different kinds of fish, shrimp and crawfish. They also had prime rib, which was tasty. We actually enjoyed the breakfast buffet much more, which had offerings of made to order omelets, waffles and pancakes, as well as fresh fruit, bacon and scrambled eggs and southern favorites like grits, fried catfish, sausage gravy and biscuits. It was quite enjoyable.

The Horseshoe is neighbored by the Gold Strike on one side and the Sheraton on the other. The other six casinos in Tunica are a short drive away. The Hollywood, Resorts and Sam's Town are relatively close together and then you have to drive to Bally's, Fitzgerald's and Harrah's. We like to see every place, so we drove to each. It's fairly easy to get around down there, but a GPS always helps!

Really, everyone we encountered at the Horseshoe was friendly, even when passing by in the hall, everyone said hello. It was refreshing. The rates seemed fair and we really enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2009

We were so impressed with the overall friendiness when we first drove up until we left. From the Valet to the Front Desk, the housekeeping personnel, to the waiters who took care of us at the Buffet. We stayed 3 days, and the food was great, the room was very clean (except for the fact that they could use new mattresses), the overall experience was not only relaxing but fun. As my brother-in-law stated I have never enjoyed losing my money in such a nice place. Enjoyed this place much more than Las Vegas. Las Vegas personnel and take a few lessons on how to treat guests. Just a very nice atmosphere. Even though the rainy weather prevented us from doing any outside activities - it was still extremely enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I was impressed with the horseshoe as i've been to tunica more than a few times usually its bad service and dirty facilities. this was not the case at the horseshoe. The check in was fast and very friendly. We had a luxury room with 2 queen beds which were very comfy. The room itself was spotless and spacious with extra towels and pillows. The casino was also a blast with the comps coming left and right and i am not even a moderate spender on the casino floor. The only problem that i did have with the horseshoe was the village square buffet, which was comped to me everyday of my stay wasn't worth the price of free. It was simply atrocious, the dinner food was old,dry and overcooked originally. the breakfast well i didn't know anyone could wreck breakfast like they did. wheat biscuits and mushroom gravy for breakfast. I though i had simply went through the wrong line but the other line was the same. After that it was the aces high snack bar for the rest of the trip, which was actually pretty good, a little slow on service but the food was tasty.
All in all the horsehsoe and their staff were great and will get my business again and again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2009

Before we arrived at the Horsesoe Casino we saw signs stating loose up five hundred dollars on us.
We lost that much and all we got was a discount on future hotel room at their stated date and a ten dollar slot machine cupon.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2009

This was my third trip to Tunica and third different hotel to stay at. Two buddies and I headed out from East Texas to Tunica for the Gold Strike's World Poker Open. We arrived on a Thursday and checked out on a Monday.

Check-in was a breeze. We booked two double non-smoking rooms and at check-in, I gave the girl at the front desk $10 and asked if she could give us adjoining rooms. She asked how many people there, were and I told her 3 guys total. She said it was no problem and off to our rooms we went. Quick side note, the lobby, elevators and hallways are very nice and very clean. However, getting to our rooms was like trying to get out of a mouse maze! Holy moly, it was left at this hall, right a this hall, take another left, another left and 200 yards down was our room.lol I can see how an older person or a child could have a VERY hard time repeatedly finding their room if it was as far away as our was.

We did get adjoining rooms, one had double beds, one had a king. No problem at all. The rooms are very nice. They were very clean, plenty of towels, rags etc and everything in the room was as clean or cleaner than I've seen in any hotel. The rooms appeared to be newly remodeled and had a nice coffee maker/bar area as well as a mini-fridge. We got a really good deal on these rooms and we were all very pleased. I'm uploading photos of the room that I took right after we checked in. The room with the double beds was 100% identical except it had two beds, it was not smaller, larger or laid out differently.

As for the casino, I'm not sure what there is to say. I've been to casinos all over the South but never been to Vegas, so it's hard for me to compare it to anything but where I've been. It's big, nice, clean, friendly staff, free drinks...what else can you say? It's a casino and I'm a solely a poker player and I know that there are no such thing as "loose" slots and certain times the machines "hit". As for the poker room, it is nice, plenty of room between all 16 tables and they have a cage inside the room which is a nice amenity.

One side note, I did take a look at the pool, because I knew if I brought my wife back she'd want to know. It was on the 2nd floor and surrounded by the hotel on 3 sides and partially surrounded by the front facet of the building. Their appeared to be plenty of sun, plenty of chairs and a smallish but nice pool.

Check out was just as easy as check in and we were very pleased with the whole experience. I would highly recommend the Horseshoe hotel/casino to anyone heading out to Tunica!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends