“Just OK--Nothing to Write Home About” 3 of 5 bubbles

Horseshoe Tunica
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Freeport, Florida
“Just OK--Nothing to Write Home About”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

The check in clerk was pretty rude, which was surprising. First, it was "we are booked, no rooms". When we explained we had reservations, the attitude was "your room ain't ready, go away and come back later". The check out clerk, however, was very sweet and friendly. Rooms were pretty, and clean, but small. Nice mini-fridge. Food was unexceptional. Smoke in the casino at night was awful. The staff we encountered in the halls were always friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Our view on the second floor was the roof and AC units/vents.
Green Features: They are somewhat eco-friendly, which I like. Some recycling and water conservation.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Patricia B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have been going to the Horseshoe for 15 years. My problem with it is sometimes when you get there and you have asked for non smoking...you get a smoking room. I cannot tolerate that, so I complain till they switch me. Also..the reason for only an average rating is how it has gone down since Harrahs has owned it. If you want a nice room...only stay on floor 5 and up...the lower floor rooms are the old ones and are not so great. The others are still pretty nice. It is very irritating when you go there and get a room on floor 5 that is really nice, only to be put in one on the third floor that is funky next time you visit. It is not being kept up like it was when Binion owned it, but that seems true of every casino Harrahs owns...in Tunica it is especially true of the Roadhouse...that place is dirty and run down. However, the buffet at the Horseshoe is awesome still and the casino is clean. Still the best in Tunica.

Room Tip: Ask for floor 5 and up.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Mary M
Mountain Home, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

I have stayed in Tunica, at most of the casinos, multiple times. I go there maybe every 3 months, and have for years. Last time at the Horseshoe I noticed a trend that seems to be typical for the Caesar's properties-they are not being well-maintained, and are in need of freshening up. Harrah's is even worse. The Roadhouse, another Caesar's property, has never really caught on. The problem with all of these places is similar: they were once nice, but are gradually getting to be more and more seedy.

I get offers of free rooms probably twice a week, but the last couple of times in Tunica have stayed at Gold Strike (most recently 2 weeks ago). MGM is upgrading almost continually, and that is nice to see. I won't even stay at Harrah's anymore, because the place, even the casino hotel, was so bad. I could write a book, but suffice it to say that Caesar's needs to decide to get in or out of the game. You cannot continue to ride the horse to death without feeding it. Horseshoe was very nice when Caesar's bought it (Caesar's was Harrah's Entertainment then). Tunica in general has seen a slow-down, so one can understand the problem, but letting things go downhill is not the answer. Gold Strike is rated #1 in Tunica for a reason.

Room Tip: I'd stay at the end of the hall, higher floors, to try to take care of some of the noise of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank biochemist
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We went to Tunica for our anniversary (after having to cancel a trip to Ireland--long story) and we stayed at the Horseshoe for the first time. We had no problem with check-in and actually got upgraded (without even asking!!) to a "premium room". The room included a large tub and a TV in the bathroom...a nice bed and a couch in a living room area.

We also had a pretty good time in the casino!!

I definitely think that the Horseshoe is now my favorite hotel and casino in Tunica!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DAH14
Collierville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I had booked and paid for a non-smoking room. Instead they put us in a smoking room and refused to move us even though we checked in early. Bed reeked of smoke and had cigarette burns on the wood. The furniture looked old and dirty. By the way the room price was $115 plus tax. Also, the room was very poorly insulated and we could clearly hear the people talking in the adjoining room.
The evening front desk staff were unfriendly and curt...borderline rude. All in all the place had a seedy appearance and smell and I would certainly never stay there again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank peggypilot
Waterloo, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I'm in shock! I did not think there was a hotel in the US that you still had to pay for internet when you are a paying guest. I'm in a premium king room. I would not stay in anything less; I hear the standard rooms are awful! It's clean but it does seem a bit old. Lots of space to move. On the 5th floor and the view is ok when you look beyond the roof in front of you. I'm staying here instead of the Gold Strike because I had free nights however if I did not have the free night I would be staying at Gold Strike instead...No internet is a deal breaker for me...

Room Tip: Always stay in a Premium room instead of a standard room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank jen2978
Conway, Arkansas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

So I like some others usually stay at GoldStrike, I get passes, freeplay etc from them but this weekend was harder than usual to get a room in Tunica (Memphis State game? Poker tourney? who knows) so I booked rooms at Horseshoe figuring we can quickly walk across to Goldstrike (and did, quick too) The room was nice, 3rd floor with couch area. We both agreed that room was clean (we go in, and do a once over, one of benefits of traveling w/ same friend for year+ is she and I know what other thinks when we see room) - I did what I always do while she puts on her going out clothes and makeup and looked for remote, we could not find it. wasn't in room (I am male, if there a remote in room I will not stop looking, I have to find it, drove me crazy lol) - We called down to desk when we got back to room and they ran one right up. Again, Staff really did awesome job with every interaction here. From Front Desk to housekeeping to Drink people on the floor they did great. Kudos to them. I do like the casino's drink ordering system better than hunting for a drink person at GS. Shoot, if the slots hit a tiny bit I'd have never left! We did use the Starbucks, was good. Parking deck was awesome, I think that the way to go truthfully. Last Jan I stayed at GS and it was bitter cold walk, this time the deck while technically outdoors was much better. Don't ride the deck's elevator though! Great time, if Horseshoe sends me room discounts or free during week I'd go back no problem.

(for gambling purposes you can walk over to Gold Strike, I feel like I do better at GS, Gambled at both with starting 40 bucks, could stay at GS almost all night and be up 100, would quickly lose at Horseshoe but I am not really into gambling other than like Wiz of Oz machines etc, so ignore me if you play tables etc)

Room Tip: Call ahead, at polite and friendly and tell a great joke at the desk, you'd be surprised how nic...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple