“Just misses”

Hampton Inn Starkville
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Starkville
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Was in Starkville for a Miss St. football game.

Hampton Inns are my go to chain when traveling. Reliable internet, decent cable tv options, free coffee in the morning.

Unfortunately, the Hampton Inn in Starkville is located on a busy corner near MSU that has NO crosswalk. So even though there is a coffee cafe across the street only way to get there safely is in your car. Want to go to Miss St. campus, well you better be prepared to drive or walk along the highway, even though stadium is less than a 1/4 of mile away.

Additionally, I was in room 120 and the sink clogged up. I let front desk, who were super friendly, know and they drained it but it clogged up again. They seemed to know about the problem which implied this had been going on and not fixed correctly in the past.

Overall, options in Starkville are limited, for football games Comfort Inn might be better as you can walk safely across bridge to campus and the game.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Starkville

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Friendly staff, clean & nicely appointed. House keeping & breakfast staff very accommodating. Conveniently located near restaurants & the University. The price of the room with breakfast included is a very good value. I'd stay at this Hampton Inn in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Hampton Inn last April, and we enjoyed our stay very much. I've read some negative reviews about the rooms, but I was actually very pleased with our accomodations. For a mid level hotel, I found the rooms to be clean and spacious and the lobby to be beautiful. I especially liked the MSU themed decor located throughout the hotel. Regarding breakfast, it was what I expected. Perhaps the hotel's most impressive amenity is its proximity to MSU. The Junction is literally within walking distance - always a game day advantage. However, what we enjoyed the most was the friendly staff. They were very courteous and helped us whenever we had a question. Overall, a nice staff, great location, and a beautiful lobby. Great visit!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
GabeSmith, General Manager at Hampton Inn Starkville, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you so much, jello, for taking the time to mention what a great experience you had at our hotel this spring! It's great to be remembered so long after your stay, and I'm truly happy to hear it was such a good one.

We take pride in our look, our amenities, and our convenient location, and I'm always overjoyed when our service gets singled out as exceptional - we could have the lushest packaging in the world at our disposal, and it wouldn't mean anything without a great service team to back it up.

Thank you for spreading the good word about our hotel, and I look forward to having you back with us next time you're in town.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The check-in experience was quick and efficient. Lis at the front desk was very helpful with some information we needed. The room was nice. It seemed like the furnishing were an older style. But it was still a very nice stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GabeSmith, General Manager at Hampton Inn Starkville, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thanks, Bryan L, for the kudos and for all your site contributions as a Senior Reviewer - believe me, there's little that makes a General Manager happier than a five-star review.

I'm especially thrilled to see you single out the service you received at our hotel, and from Lis in particular. Lis is one of our newest guest servive agents, and I know she'll be heartened to read that she made such a positive difference during your stay.

Thank you for all the kind words and scores, and we look forward to having you with us again the next time you're in Starkville! Have a great day!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

After a bad experience at a hotel across the street, we showed up at the Hampton Inn without a reservation. We were offered a rate which seemed quite high but just went with it. The room was nice and had all the amenities we needed. The hotel was convenient to MSU (our purpose for staying in Starkville) and central Starkville. The main gripe was as a Hilton Honors Gold member I wasn't offered the promotions they had on offer at check-in, and by check-out I was too late and missed out on double points. Instead I got a packet of trail mix and a can of soda. Overall I thought the hotel was nice enough, but overpriced for the rate we paid (around $110 per night).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you, KTouchstone, for your thoughts about your recent stay with us, and I'm glad to read that most of your feedback is positive.

I apologize that you felt our rate was high - we are in line with hotels of similar quality and amenities in Starkville, and as you mentioned, there can be a sharp drop-off in quality and accountability at some of our area's economy-priced motels.

Regardless of rates in our local market, it's still our job to ensure that our guests feel they are getting their money's worth from their stay, and I'd love to hear more specific feedback from a Senior Contributor like you about how we could improve our overall experience and value level.

I also want to thank you for your kind words and high marks for our furnishings, cleanliness, and service - as a Hampton Inn, we always strive to be a cut above our competitors, and if you're not completely happy when you're leaving our property, it's our job and our privilege to endeavor to make that right.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you're in Starkville and are more than up to the challenge of ensuring you see every bit of the value promised by our nightly rate. Cheers, and go Wildcats!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I checked in for a work trip on what must have been a very busy week in Starkville. The first room I checked into was dirty (debris all over the ottoman and duvet cover), the second room had a dirty toilet seat. Unfortunately, these were the only two rooms open in my room class, and the front desk clerk, Marco, was able to put me into a different type of room for the night. I had to check out the next morning and check in again that evening, which was inconvenient, but I really just wanted a room I could feel comfortable in. The room I was checked into the second night was clean, and upgraded, which I appreciated. The staff are commited to putting you in a clean room. This does seem to be a priority. Unfortunately, this hotel is pretty dated, so no matter how clean the rooms are day to day, the carpets are worn and a little matted and sticky, and the ceilings have mildew in some places. This was a very busy week, but I could hear every door that opened on my floor from 5 am until I got going at 6:30. The location is also not very interesting, though for a business visit, the location to attractions was less important.

To sum up, the hotel is okay, and the staff are very eager to make your stay a good one.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you, Jen R, for your feedback about your stay and for all your reviews on this site - keep them coming!

As a manager, I love to hear guest feedback, warts and all, from everyone who passes through our lobby doors.

I apologize that we had to shift your rooms upon your arrival to find a comfortable and clean fit - it's our job here at Hampton Inn to not only match your expectations of cleanliness and room condition but to exceed them. I'm sorry that we did not live up to your expectations this time, and thank you for noting that, yes, our guests' happiness and comfort is a huge priority for us.

Thank you, as well, singling out the quality of service given you by Marco - he, along with the rest of my team, is a big reason why our guests return to our hotel again and again. When you're with us, you're part of our extended family, and I cannot stress highly enough how much your happiness with your experience is our pleasure and our mission.

Please choose us again the next time you're in Starkville, and I know we can exceed all your expectations for an excellent stay - you're part of the family now!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I am from New Orleans, Louisiana and this is the 3rd time I have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Starkville, MS. I have been overwhelmingly happy with all of my stays and am especially thankful to your manager Kayla. She went above and beyond on several different occasions. To start off, I should mention, that when I travel, I try to stay at 5 star hotel/resorts. Of course, Starkville, MS doesn't offer such accommodations so I was a little lost at first on which hotel to book. I decided to book the Hampton Inn based on location and because it accepted pets. The reason for my visit to Starkville is because my dog, Bandit, was diagnosed with a BRAIN TUMOR and we had decided to seek radiation treatment at MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY Veterinary School. This takes 18 treatments and approximately 4 weeks. (I had a long journey). The first stay was wonderful and I was very impressed by your comfortable beds, fast internet access, and the wonderful proximity to the vet school. This of course, was also the first time I met Kayla and at that time, I had no idea how helpful she would be in the future. The 2nd stay was actually quite a miracle. At a time when the hotel was booked solid, I called and asked Kayla to let me know if there were any cancelations, to call me immediately. This would be the first weekend I would be able visit Bandit and was unaware that there would be an event going on, make finding a hotel next to impossible. After brainstorming with the general manager, Kayla called the next day and was able to squeeze me in a room for the weekend. I couldn't believe it, I was so happy. Bandit and I had a great weekend together, going to the dog park, relaxing and spending quality time together. My 3rd visit was a bit more eventful. It was the last week of Bandit's radiation and he had some complications the week before, so they were only going to let me take him for a trial. I was able to bring Bandit to the hotel for a 2 hour visit. However, within 15 minutes, he started having a seizure. I was so scared. I immediately dialed "0" and Kayla was right up to my room and assisted me taking Bandit to the car. She then called the vet school to let them know I was coming and she followed up later that day to see how I was doing myself and to check up on Bandit. As if her amazing help and follow-up weren't enough, when I came back she had given us a "goodie bag" full of dog toys, a bone, water bottle and other fun things with a beautiful card from the Hampton Inn. I have NEVER experienced such a wonderful person and such exceptional service. I am extremely grateful to Kayla, the GM, the Hampton Inn and the their amazing staff and customer service. Even though my stays were under special circumstances, other aspects of the hotel shined through as well. From the comfortable beds, the cleans rooms, great internet, and yummy breakfast, everybody was professional, yet personable, very helpful and always had a smile! ...and in case you're wondering, although not out of the woods yet, Bandit is home and staying strong!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GabeSmith, General Manager at Hampton Inn Starkville, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to re-post another positive experience with us. We're truly thrilled you're sharing your story with others, and it's been our pleasure to have you and Bandit with us these past few stays. When you're under our roof, you're part of our extended family. So happy you left us feeling that way - it's why we do what we do. And Kayla cherishes the cowbell you left for her!