“Bring your own mattress”

Hampton Inn Starkville
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Starkville
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Hotel very clean, however mattress was very cheap and uncomfortable. Could practically see through sheets, wrong size pillows on bed. Might want to bring your own mattress or ask for an upgrade. Hotel pretty clean. Breakfast was adequate. Internet good and business station worked well.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GabeSmith, General Manager at Hampton Inn Starkville, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to respond with your feelings about your recent stay with us.

I'm so sorry that you didn't get a great night's sleep when you were here and left with negative feelings about our bedding. Many of our guests go out of their way to compliment the sleep quality they got from our beds, and I'd welcome the chance to hear more about how our bedding compares to the bedding you've experienced at other Hampton Inn locations. Whatever we can do to make your next stay with us more relaxing and comfortable - we want to hear about it!

I truly appreciate the compliments on the quality of our amenities and cleanliness, and I would also like to hear more about how we might have boosted your Service score past "Average" - we never want to be merely OK; we want to exceed guest expectations every chance we get.

Thank you again for your feedback, and if you'd like to share more insight into how to improve our service or our potential to offer quality sleep to all of our guests, please reach out to me by phone at 662-324-1333 or by email at gabe.smith@hilton.com.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Why do hotels insist on advertising queen beds and then only have doubles? The hotel is fairly new. Room looked clean until you took your shoes off, then the carpet was really sticky... Ick. Better than average college town hotel if you don't mind small beds and keep your shoes on

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you, BarbMFlorida, for your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel and for your repeated responses as a TripAdvisor Contributor.

I apologize that the carpet in your room was sticky and that it made you feel your room was unclean. Immediately after reading your response, I had our maintenance engineer shampoo the carpet in your room with our small in-house cleaner, and please know that all of our rooms carpets are professionally cleaned by an outside company several times per year.

I also apologize that your expectation for a queen-sized bed was not met upon your arrival at the hotel. Our property has and advertises a mix of both queen-sized and double-sized beds, and I would welcome the chance to speak more with you about your reservation information for this stay - if you'd specifically booked a queen and received a double, I'd really like the opportunity to make that right.

I'd also like to hear more about what prompted you to rate our rooms as poor and our service as average - we're always looking for ways to improve guests' experiences with us, and knowing what you saw as our shortcomings will definitely help me ensure quality and consistency for your future stays with us, as well as the stays of others.

I'd love to hear from you, if you could or would like to take the time. You can best reach me at my office phone (662-324-1333) or email (gabe.smith@hilton.com), and I'd look forward to speaking with you.

If I don't hear further from you, thank you again for staying with us and for your honest contributions to this site - your feedback is incredibly valuable to us.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Enjoyed our stay tremendously. Pool, was clean, Breakfast hot and ready every morning, nice choices and selections for everyone to enjoy. Thank YOU! We will be back next year! SAME TIME SAME PLACE. VERY HIGHLY Recommend!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GabeSmith, General Manager at Hampton Inn Starkville, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thanks so much for your kind words about our hotel. We always feel like loyal guests our extended family - we love hearing that you'll be coming back, and we look forward to giving you the same great experience when you do! And I truly hope that next time we'll be able to push those four-star ratings all the way up to full fives - if it's not perfect, we can always be doing more to get it there. Thank you again for taking the time to share your positive experience with others!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Your breakfast could use some changes. Take a look at the breakfast served at Embassy Suites and Residence Inn. You state that it's not continental but only a small step up from that. You could offer juices within the building but instead you send your guest across the street. I asked if I could buy a glass of apple juice from the breakfast area and was told to go across the street. Unbelievable! Also, I haven't every ran across an hotel that offers a state government rate and not a federal rate. In a town like this you should defiantly offer a federal government rate whenever you offer a state rate. The only reason that I will possibly stay at this hotel again is because there's not much competition in such a small town. Yes, I will try the Hilton which is another one of you hotel chains. In fact, I'm writing Marriott to ask them to consider putting a hotel in the surrounding area. You should consider providing microwave and mini fridges in all the rooms. Therefore, I may stay at your hotel again because there's not much to choice from but I will not expect the staff to go beyond anything outside the norm such as a glass of apple juice for their guest.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Ms. Sudduth,

I enjoyed talking with you last week about the concerns you had during your stay. I want to thank you again for taking the time to speak to me, and I'm really glad I had the chance to hear such direct feedback, both positive and negative, from one of our guests.

Even before we'd had the chance to talk, I'd used your online comments as a training tool for a front desk meeting. We can always go above and beyond for a guest, and I've reiterated to all of our service agents that all guest questions, whether inside or outside the box, need a speedy answer or a sincere effort to find that answer.

We are also always open to suggestions about how to improve the quality and variety of our complimentary morning breakfast bar - while we closely follow Hampton Inn's brand standards for preparation and presentation, we know that expectation, consistency, and service all factor into our guests' staisfaction. Thank you for your input on a few small enhancements that would have made your breakfast experience more positive.

I sincerely appreciated our conversation, and I hope that you'll join us again in the future to see the positive changes your feedback has spurred.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I would recommend this as a great hotel to stay. Although there was a city wide power from midnight to 4 a.m., I would still recommend this hotel as a good place to stay. There were a group of kids at the hotel the night I was there and they got a little noisy through the night. I did not report it, but I was able to get a few hours of sleep. The breakfast was great and the selection of items on the menu was good.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GabeSmith, General Manager at Hampton Inn Starkville, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel, and we'd love to see you again anytime.

The planned city-wide electrical outage was certainly an inconvenience for all of our guests, though we did try our best to keep all of our guests informed about it in advance and prepare with emergency lighting and cool lobby refreshments during the outage itself. I also apologize that some of our baseball boys were a little too rowdy during the night - I do wish you would have let us known about that so we could have given you an even better night's rest during your stay.

I'll pass on the compliments about the breakfast bar to our hostesses - we're always looking for ways to make our guests' mornings more pleasant and fulfilling, and it's good to hear that we're on the right track.

Thank you again for your insight, and know that anything we can do to make your future stays more comfortable - it's our pleasure to do so!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The door to our room would not close. It could be easily pushed open from the hallway. Very unsecured. We were moved to another room. The toilet base was broken and the grout was missing from the base of the toilet and it rocked on the floor. The rooms were poorly maintained.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel, and I sincerely apologize that it was a negative one.

And thank you for letting us know about the issues with the guest room door and the loose toilet - because of your comments during your stay, we were able to quickly fix those problems so they would not negatively affect the stays of any of our other guests. Both issues were immediately looked at as soon as you vacated these rooms, and were fixed in total within 24 hours.

One of the great things about our hotel, and about all Hampton Inns, is our brand's unconditional 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - if you're not satisfied with your stay, we don't expect you to pay. Once I heard about the problems with your stay, I advised our front desk manager to refund you for your stay at checkout, which I hope went some measure toward winning back your trust as our guest. We stand by our product, and when it's not up to your standards, we endeavor to always make that right.

Thank you again for your honest feedback, and I invite you back to try us again, and would love for you to see the progress made on each of these rooms since your departure.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have no complaints about this hotel! It was so nice. Our stay was just WONDERFUL!!! My family and I stayed at the Hampton in Starkville while my son went to the Mississippi State Vet camp. Our stay was awesome.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GabeSmith, General Manager at Hampton Inn Starkville, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Thank you for the compliments! We love it when a guest has a memorable stay with us, and it sounds like yours was a good one. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback about your time with us, and know that your comments are taken to heart by our whole service team at the Hampton - we'd love to have you back and get to know you even better! If there's anything at all we can do to make your future stays even more pleasant or more comfortable, please let us know.