“Really wanted to like this place, but.... nope. Thumbs Down.”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Starkville
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Starkville
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is a sad place. The owner and manager were both nice, friendly type people. But the place is just a dump. What struck be most, was when I walked in. They were literally laying out on the couch in the very small lobby watching television. The jumped up, got me checked in, then went back to lay down on the couch and keep watching tv. It was around 11 am. They seemed oblivious to the horrendous condition of the hotel.

The parking lot was dirty, the trash cans were overflowing, and the hall ways were just silly dirty. The pool was half covered with a filthy black tarp, (it was june, perfect swimming day.) and the rooms were laughably awful.

I took a few pictures, hope they help. Its just not a nice place, and I would have to encourage you to stay somwhere else.

Room Tip: Yes, stay somewhere else !
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank JacksonGuy

Reviewed June 27, 2014

This hotel is terrible, it's in need of many repairs, in and out, my room was dirty, it looked as if it had not been dusted in months, the floor was dirty, one of the chair was being held by tape and the lamp looked as if it came from the dump. It was a no smoking room but the tolit seat had severly burned marks on it. The towels looked worst then my cleaning towels, I wouldn't dare use them. Don't let the pictures on the net fool you. I wished I had read the reviews before booking this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I had no choice but to stay here since my work made the reservations. I tried to get past the shady people in the parking lot but that was the best part. The room smelled awful when I opened the door so I tried to turn on the ac which would only emit a weak sputter. I started looking around the room which was a big mistake. The mattress itself had blood or something that looked like blood on the side near the bedside table. The toilet had pee and hair on the rim so it hadn't been cleaned. The carpet was filthy and made my white socks look like I had been walking outside. I ended up leaving and driving 70 miles to another hotel. Do not stay here!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Sierra R
Reviewed May 24, 2014

My boyfriends family were having their family reunion and the hotel that she reserved for us somehow wasn't reserveved.. Called all around town but this was the only one. I looked at the picture and was like ok this don't look bad (not thinking about to read reviews first). So we get there around 2 pm the lady at the front desk was so polite and nice. So we go to our room and the cleaning ladies were cleaning. I looked inside the room was not was not what the pictures on the website looked liked. I was really upset. My boyfriend didn't mind so I didn't want to complain. We come back after the festivities and we pulled the let out couch wallah crumbs, food wrappers were under the pillows. Opens the bed sheets were filthy and damped. Called the manager to be sheets went to get them myself she and her father was so rude. I have to stay another night and so don't want to.......could not find the 0 for the rates so i had to pick 1s. THIS PLACE SUCKS!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed December 25, 2013

First of all, the staff was very polite and courteous.

I went to Starkville for a funeral, so this was not an enjoyable reason.

The first things were that housekeeping left their pass key in the room, a hook on the curtain was missing. I had to rig it so it would close completely. They did offer another room.

After returning, I could not find the TV remote. I was asked what brand of TV was in the room. The brought me one in a few minutes, The code for the TV did not work. I went back to the office where they changed it.

There was a water heater problem and I was requested to let the water run to get the dirt out of the lines. I did this.

In the morning, there was still a problem with the heating element. There was no hot water for a shower. As I checked out, I was told that on my next stay, I would be given discount. I felt that the discount should have been given immediately as a credit on my credit card.

The breakfast line was not set up when it was supposed to be done. I had had to go elsewhere to purchase breakfast.

I am not sure if I will ever go back to Starkville, but will probably not stay there.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank bbrefhlc
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The sign in the parking lot, said recent renovations. When we entered the room, the 1st thing I noticed was the night stand (between the two beds) had a red sticky stain on it. I also noticed the a/c unit was broken with no knob to control the speed of the fan. Went back to the front desk & told the clerk. She said there was nothing to do about the a/c but she would clean the room. Met my daughter & went to dinner, came back to find the sticky red stain on the night stand. Went back down to the front desk, with a copy of my confirmation, stated the statement said there was to be a refrigerator, microwave, & iron the room, none of these items were present. She said she had cleaned the room herself, but didn't bother cleaning the night stand. At that time, a potential patron came into the office & asked about vacancies, the amount quoted to her was $80 for a double room. I'm paying over $100. When I brought this matter the clerk's attention, she stated there was nothing she could do about it since I made my reservations over the internet. I requested that since I had an email with details of the room accommodations they should live up to them. When I got back to the room, I noticed that there was no alarm clock. I was going to call down to the front desk only to discover the phone was not working. Went back down to the front desk & informed the clerk no alarm clock or no phone. She must have told the manager, but doors were slam and I didn't know what was going to happen. A few minutes later the manager came to the room to change out the phone, brought a microwave & mini-frig. I brought it to his attention that there was no iron or alarm clock, he did nothing. For a newly renovated room, there was no holder for the toilet tissue. There was a place to hold the tissue, but no holder for the roll. Also, there was no stopper for the sink drain. Also, in the middle of the carpet, there was burn spot in the shape of an iron. There was also a spot on the carpet that look like a shoe print melted into the carpet. If needing to stay in Starkville and everything else is booked, park your car someplace nice and just stay in your car.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MSUMom322
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I booked for 2 nights so he could so some work at MSU, and lets just say I'm surprised that there is a hotel ranked worse than this. The whole hotel was old, the rooms dirty, wifi nearly non-existent and lots of dodgy people hanging out in the car park. We checked out and paid double the price at the Hampton over the road - well worth the extra $$$! Enough said...don't stay here!!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business