“Definitely better than fast-food!”
Review of Restaurant Tyler

Restaurant Tyler
Ranked #5 of 128 Restaurants in Starkville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant uses regional ingredients to produce consistently great meals.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

On a visit to Starkville recently, I decided to dine at Restaurant Tyler for dinner. I didn't want "chain" fare and other local establishments seemed packed. Restaurant Tyler was fairly busy, but not as packed, probably in some part due to the fact that it is a little pricer than the average restaurant. But trust me, the food is that good!

As an appetizer, I had the Assorted Artisan Cheeses, which was very tasty (on a previous visit I have had the Crawfish Dip, which is enough for two). As an entree I had the Shrimp and Grits (a dish I love) and Restaurant Tyler's version did not disappoint. The grits were so creamy you could not taste any graininess and the shrimp were bacon wrapped. If burgers are more your thing they make a great one, or for a little something different try their Duck Burger (but be warned, it tends to be rich).

I highly recommend Restaurant Tyler for a date, or if you simply want to dine better. However, with the selection and prices, I would not take young children.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Restaurant Tyler is a cozy restaurant with wonderful service. Their brunch is amazing! Waffles, made-to-order Omelettes, cheese grits...a great menu. Located in charming downtown Starkville.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Restaurant Tyler tries to be an upscale European cuisine in a small college town, On a couple of visits this has just come off as pretentious. The food was mediocre and pricy. The chef has good credentials but his menu may not suit the local palate.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Brought my family to have a nice reunion dinner. Had eaten there before and knew the food would be creative and tasty. However, when I questioned the waitress on a ridiculously short pour of a $9 glass of wine, she insisted that the amount was right and wanted to bring the marked sample glass to the table to prove it. WHEN YOU HAVE A CUSTOMER ABOUT TO SPEND $200 ON A MEAL, YOU DON'T QUIBBLE OVER 2 OUNCES OF WINE. To top it off, her service was extremely slow and did not ask if we wanted more wine. I chose not to escalate, because I didn't Want to upset my family. While my shrimp and grits were excellent, my wife's redfish and daughter's burger were average at best, certainly not worth the $24/$17, respectively. My other daughter's $34 steak was done on one side and rare on the other. For dessert, we went to The Veranda and had excellent service.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

The lunch specials at Restaurant Ty are great. My favorite is the catfish with crawfish sauce and two sides. In the summer months they often include vegetables from local farms in the menu. The soup/sandwich combos are always good. We like Restaurant Ty for lunch better than for dinner.