“WORST STAY at any holiday inn express EVER! Do not go here”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Starkville
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Starkville
“WORST STAY at any holiday inn express EVER! Do not go here”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My fiance and I were on vacation visiting some old friends of ours at MSU, we stayed for 3 days and asked time after time to get our room serviced and was told by the manager he would have them cleaned when we get back from dinner we arrive to a dirty room we called down and said we would get a 50% refund the following day and that they apologized for the inconvenience . Next day comes and the day manager says we would not be getting a 50% refund rather 10% . Pretty embarrassed when friends arrived n the floors had not been vaccumed or sheets changed . No microwave, refrigerator just a basic room with 10 channels. I highly advise you NOT to go here . We are currently looking for another hotel in starkville .

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Chass4101
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Starkville, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Chass4101,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I deeply apologize that your room accommodation and the service that you received during your stay fell below your expectations. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I stayed here for a week for a class for my job. It is 5 minutes from Missisissipi State U. My room was nice on the third floor. Decor was muted neutral with lots of outlets and good lighting. King bed was comfortable and firm with a light blanket and plenty of pillows. They have digital thermostats to control the air. The bath lighting was a little dark away from the mirror but plenty of room to spread out toiletries on the granite countertop. They give you plenty of bath gel, lotion, conditioner, etc. but no shower cap, so bring it if you need it. There is a "rain" style shower with good pressure (pull all the way up!). There is no free happy hour at the hotel anymore, but they have a hot breakfast bar with eggs, bacon, biscuits, gravy, and healthy stuff too. I always took mine to my room so I could watch TV. There is a coffeemaker in the room, hairdryer, iron and board. The wireless internet worked well. Pool gets lots of sun in afternoon. I didn't use the health club, just went walking around the area. There are lots of chain restaurants in the area, 3 in the parking lot. The only thing I did not like was no refrigerator or microwave. I did have a cooler, but running to get ice all the time does get old.
The maids were nice and did a good job. I asked for a later checkout at the front desk and they gave me some extra time so I could come back and change clothes for the trip back.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor are closer to breakfast, pool, health club, etc. I liked being on the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mexilady
Opelika, Alabama
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We have stayed previously at this hotel. It is in close proximity to the University. Staff is friendly; breakfast is typical HI Express breakfast, but good and plenty of it. Rooms are nice and big. Rooms temperature controlled by wall thermostat. Comfortable bed. Internet access, slightly slow. Within walking distance of Wendy's, Ruby Tuesday's; Arby's.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room that is away from the elevator and the ice machine! I like quiet!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for work for over a month and during that time the hotel was under construction. My room was what I had asked for and I was away from most of the construction and while it did not cause any intruption in my sleep however I did find that my room had been entered on a few occasions even when my DO NOT DISTRUB sign was hanging on the door. It seems they were enterting the room during the day to replace the TV and furniture. The staff was very nice and if I had a complaint they tended to it immediately. I did like the fact that there is Ruby Tuesdays in the parking lot. Overall I would stay again after all the construction is done.

Room Tip: Check with the hotel to see if they are still under construction.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lovelife40
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Delayed for check-in, stressed-looking staff-when finally given our room at 7PM-after walking through hallways of construction debris, uncovered electrical outlets, waste baskets overflowing, nails, screws and sheetrock dust everywhere-We were sort of sickened by the sight of our "unprepared" room. It had obviously been overlooked and was definitely not ready for already delayed check-in. The front desk staff rallied to our complaint and tried to get the room in shape by getting to "very disgruntled" room attendants to do-up the room. Sans towels, sans waste baskets. Fixings to make coffee but no pot. By the time we came back from dinner--we were too tired to ask for any more hospitality. And the room phone did not work anyway. If it had been a cheap motel we might have expected this. Shocking for a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Seacatg0
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Starkville, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear Seacatg0,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I apologize for the experience you had
during your stay. You are right, this is not the type of quality or service you should expect
from a Holiday Inn Express. I would like to discuss this further. I have sent you a private email in effort to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Oxford, MS
Reviewed February 26, 2012

When we arrived for a weekend stay, we arrived to the hotel being under complete construction. Our reservations were wrong. We were supposed to have a mini suite (3 people staying), and arrived to a King bed only, standard room. The staff was SO accommodating and did comp a second room for us. Each room had a major flaw. My parents room, the shower was complete. My room the heat didn't work and I didn't have a phone. In my aunt and uncles room, the microwave wasn't put together. Once again, the staff was phenomenal to try and make our stay as nice as possible despite the circumstances.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sasieber
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Starkville, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
sasieber,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. Kindly accept our sincerest apology for the inconvenience caused. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ben J
IHG Care
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We have nothing negative to say about HIExress, we go every year to Starkville for an event and this is where we stay, good parking, clean hotel, great staff, pool, close to restaurant. Accommodations were above par.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family