“Not My Cup of Sake”

Umi Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
Ranked #13 of 128 Restaurants in Starkville
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I went to Umi's on a weeknight, hoping to have a pleasant experience. I was disappointed on several fronts; first, we called ahead asking if reservations were necessary and were told "no". We also asked if if would be a problem being seated in the hibachi side, and again were told "no". When we arrived 30 minutes later, we were informed that the hibachi room was totally booked, and we were seated right in the middle of the freeway known as the "sushi side". It was NOT fun. It was impossible to carry on a conversation with any of my dinner guests, between the noise and the constant parade of customers and staff past our table. While the food was decent enough, it was by no means the best I've had in this area. The service was very, very slow.. I won't be back.

3  Thank Cruiser9901

Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Excellent! The food prices are average compared to other Japanese restaurants. My fiancé and I ate at the hibachi grill. We had to wait a few minutes longer than normal for a chef because they were busy cooking for a large group. Which was fine. We enjoy going there.

1  Thank Joseph981
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

The cucumber and crab salad is the best I've ever had in any Japanese restaurant and always crisp and fresh.
The shrimp fried rice is also a favorite, you get 5 or 6 large shrimp with very tasty fresh fried rice. Every sushi roll I have tried is always rolled to order. A must try in Starkville MS.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The sushi is soooo good! The hibachi is great, too! The owners are really friendly and appreciate the business. If you are a repeat guest, you are remembered!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Who knew you could get such sushi in Starkville! Friendly wait staff, accommodated a group of kids, and of course delicious Sushi. We ordered more than our fill and when we were done, we ordered more. Don't hesitate to give it a try!