“Good sleep and Good food.”

Hilton Garden Inn Starkville
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Starkville
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We traveled for one month in June across the United-States. Almost every night we stayed in a different hotel & B&B. I can safely say we can be good judges of the quality of the service, sleep and accommodation.
This hotel staffs are professional and cordial but not overly friendly. But this hotel seemed more a business hotel than a family or vacation hotel anyway. We ordered room service and were very pleased with the food which was excellent and could compare with any good restaurant. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The made to order breakfast was also very good and the fresh fruits excellent. All in all it was a restful and enjoyable stay and I would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this HGI in Starkville about a month ago when. I had to come down to MSU to give my thesis presentation and attend a Capstone course. We were extremely pleased by the entire hotel overall and our stay at this HGI! We were encouraged to book our stay here after reading postive reviews about the hotel and past guests here on TripAdvisor, and we have stayed at HGI's before and absolutely loved them. We were not disappointed! We stayed in a very large King Junior Suite (**Note this review is for the larger, King Junior Suite! Please make note that the smaller and standard rooms may not have the same amenties or be as large!). This room had a separate living area with a large flat screen TV, a couch and armchair, and business area (desk, lamp, place to set up your computer, etc...). There was also a large dresser to store your clothes in the living area too which was great, so my husband and I weren't cramming our clothes into three drawers in the bedroom. There was a nice wet bar that had a mini-fridge (one of my favorite assets at HGI!), and a personal coffee maker. The bathroom was large, with granite countertops and a pretty big shower. It was very clean! The bed was exceptionally nice. The first time I stayed at a HGI with their adjustable beds, I was worried, but these really are comfortable (at least, we thought so!). We both got a wonderful nights sleep every night we were there and woke up feeling refreshed and ready for the day! We did not have any problems with the walls being thin or hearing other neighbors and the hotel was pretty full when we were there. I am sure it could be different on a game weekend when you have football fans there though!

We honestly cannot comment though on the food, room service, or anything related to that because we didn't eat at the hotel for any of the meals. Not for any particular reason, we had just made dining plans elsewhere and had brought breakfast stuff for in the morning to have in our room. We did go down to the lobby every morning and get coffee and this is great and free! They have a large set-up for a coffee station with every kind of creamer and sweetner. It was always kept very tidy and clean with no garbage and trash left around like some hotels have. The menu offerings looked great though and they have a nice bar downstairs for cocktails and a flat screen TV. The lobby area is kept very clean and there are several place to sit and lounge and the front desk attendants were always smiling and friendly and spoke to us.

I used the treadmill in the fitness center to run a couple of times too. The fitness center was a decent size and the front desk offers you complimentary ear buds if you forgot yours to your iPod (like I did!) and they have free weights, a couple of treadmills and other machines. Very nice! The indoor pool seemed like the popular place to be and seemed nice and good place to take kids. There is plenty of parking and it is very well lit at night.

The proximity to the Campus from the hotel cannot be beat! It is literally 1 mile away, and downtown Starkville shops and restaurants in the historic district are only a few more miles away - no more than 5 minutes.
We highly recommend the historic district of Starkville for quaint little shops and great, local restaurants! We ate hands-down one of the best meals we have ever had at Restaurant Tyler (you MUST try it!) to celebrate finishing my thesis presentation. It's upscale, Southern cuisine that is made with all fresh and local produce and ingredients and the best blueberry cobbler that would make my Grandmother jealous! I had the sweet potato gnocchi which was to die for and my husband had the catch of the day. We were both blown away. So good! Great atmosphere too with friendly and attentive waitstaff.

Truly, we do not have any complaints! Our trip and stay was wonderful and when I come down to graduate in December, we will be staying here again! I highly recommend it to anyone who is traveling to Starkville!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TylerJeffrey
Lenore B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Starkville, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our hotel. I am new to Starkville and will have to check out Restaurant Tyler. Look forward to seeing you back in December for Graduation.

Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

With the exception of my dirty coffee mug being put back as a clean one, this Hilton Garden Inn was fine. Everything was the same as in any HGI. The wireless Internet was extremely slow though. Otherwise, friendly staff and comfortable rooms.

• Stayed: July 2012
Lenore B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Starkville, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at our property. I will be looking into the items that you mentioned and certainly hope we will have the opportunity to have you as our guest again on your future visits to Starkville.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

The staff are friendly and the rooms are decent, however, as of 7/6/2012, the hotel has become infested with roaches. I had to move rooms three times and I still see them. One night in particular was pretty bad. I stayed on the second floor towards the back of the building. Around 10pm I watching TV and doing some work, when I see a roach on the wall reflected in the mirror. I caught it and killed it, but then I saw another and then another and then eventually 10. They were under the bed, behind the furniture, on the carpet, in the bathroom, basically all over the place. Very disgusting. The hotel was very responsive and moved me to a higher floor on the front side of the building. Again the next night, the same thing, but less roaches. I returned the following week, stayed on the fourth floor in the back of the building and again, roaches. This time only 3. I moved again and stayed on the third floor in the front of the building. This last room only had one roach so I took care of that one. I have heard all sorts of excuses from "this is the south" to "rain" to "that time of year" to "this is a garden inn not a real Hilton" to whatever. Excuses are stupid. Paying for a room and having roaches is unpleasant and unprofessional. In defense of the hotel, they moved me when I requested and sprayed the room the next day as well as called out their pest control vendor. The hotel should seriously talk with the vendor about their approach and their method for controlling the situation or get a new vendor.

Room Tip: For the short term, choose a high floor and the front of the building. That's assuming your neig...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank IT C
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Please be assured this issue has been resolved. I will be contacting you personally to apologize.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

last year I reviewed this property based on my experience while "temporarily disabled" and gave detail about an ADA room. If interested search for that review.
I booked property again, because as stated, there aren't many options in Starkville.
last year i felt the property was "average"
While the customer service was friendly and knowledgeable, etc. i was not 'wowed" this time either.
I did NOT take the time to check to see if my dangerous complaints re: the ADA room had been addressed.
A couple things to note:
re housekeeping...I'd say slightly better and cleaner than my experience a year ago. Good.
BEDS: bed was...weird! Some kind of adjustable bed for firmness- not exactly a sleep number bed, but something like it? I don't remember having this type bed on my previous visit, nor do I recall ever having a bed like that in any other HGI I have stayed; but, i personally did NOT like it. never could get it right or comfortable.
I really want to like this place- its newer and quieter that other Starkville hotels for the same $. But I think that bed is the deal breaker for me to return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. On your next visit, if you would like, we will be happy to assist you is adjusting your bed.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Beautifil new hotel just at the edge of Starkville, but still only minutes from good restaurants (try Harvey's). Suite has a separate half bath in the large living room with sink, microwave and mini fridge. Bathroom in bedroom is large and has bothe a garden tub and a separate shower. Just wish they took pets so we could travel stay with our small dog, but this time we're without her.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 25, 2012

well there are not many hotel in Starkville but this is a newer one and very comfy ! the staff was very nice,; great beds ! great handicap room for my parents ! with two beds and roll-in shower ; the breakfast was expensive for what you got and no menu just buffet...no free food but there was free coffee and tea all day; the rest of the dining was so-so; the pool and jacuzzi were Fantastic ! clean and well maintained; nothing is far in Starkville so you can drive 10mins to lots of food choices:)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family