“The photographer did an excellent job capturing the hotel, service could improve”

Holiday Inn Southaven - Central
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Southaven
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My family and I stayed for a week. It looks just like the pictures but the service could be improved upon. The desk clerks were cooperative. We had some problems with our room due to the discrepancy between what Travelosity claimed I was getting when I made my reservation. The room was nice and looked just like the pictures. There were a few problems that I found disturbing; my toilet bowl was stopped up and I was informed that I needed to come to the front desk to get the plunger. They did send it up for me to plunge the toilet. There is only one washing machine and dryer on site. The day I wanted to use it, the washer was broken. You can't get breakfast after 10 a.m.,however the food is very good. There was no emergency kit on site, just bandages. The lounging areas are welcoming. Other than the things mentioned earlier, it was a nice comfortable stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 1, 2010

This is a very new hotel located very close to I-55 and within a very short drive to a busy shopping/restaurant area. Everything was very modern, new and clean.

We had issues with check-in as did other family members who were staying here for a wedding. We arrived at 5 minutes to 3PM (which was check-in time) and no rooms were ready. The clerk even commented that it wasn't check in time yet, as if all the rooms were suddenly going to be cleaned in the next 5 minutes. My sister-in-law attempted to check in 3 times that day. (This was not a huge wedding, maybe a half dozen rooms). When she was finally allowed to check in (on the 3rd try) my sister-in-law was sent to one room, which was not ready, then to another, which was not ready and finally to a third room. (Of course she doesn't find out it isn't ready until she has lugged all her luggage and 2 kids to the room). We all finally settled in by 4PM. I saw other guests later arguing with the front desk about rooms not being ready. Then there was a typo in my name on the reservation (made by phone) and there was quite the run around to confirm that yes, it was really me. All this may have been a one time issue or a particular clerk.

My major disappointment was that unlike other hotels of this category there was no breakfast. There is a restaurant on site, however I would note that it was closed when we arrived in the afternoon.

If the service improves and you're not bothered by the lack of breakfast this would be a fine hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
comfortsuitedos, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Southaven - Central, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to bring to my attention the issues you had with your recent stay. We value your patronage and certainly want to know if you are dissatisfied in any way. We apologize for your inconvenience; that is not the level of service we strive to provide.

We pride ourselves in making our guests’ stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible, as well as have a quick and efficient check in.

Being a full service Holiday Inn, we do serve breakfast and dinner in Kems Restaurant daily, however, not a complimentary breakfast, it is very economical .

We would love to have you back again, which will give us the opportunity to show that we care about our guests, and want to provide outstanding services. Once again, thank you for choosing us and we look forward to having you again.

With your comments, we are always implementing new ways to make sure this does not happen again.

Thanks again for your comments!

Reviewed July 2, 2010

I needed to know where the closest Bank of America was and not only did one of the wait staff look it up but brought the information to the room for me! Service like that is rare. I believe her name was Cheryl. The Wait staff at my breakfast were so friendly it set the tone for my day. All I can say is WOW and Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

Thank you so much for being our guest.

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your wonderful experience with us.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed June 14, 2010

I traveled to Southaven for my friend's wedding and we had rooms grouped off at this hotel. On my way up I called about early check-in and the girl at the front desk was very rude. I stayed anyway bc there would be a cancellation fee. The room was very nice and peaceful. I had been awake for 36 hours so when I layed in the bed at 6pm I didn't wake up again until 7am!!! There is a lot of shopping and restaurants just a little ways over...practically walking distance!!! We're actually gonna stay here again in August.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Surprised to hear that this hotel was 2 years old, looks to be 2 months old. Great staff, comfort rooms, secure and not a bad rate. Fitness center has 2 tred mills, eliptical and free weights (no bench). Free internet and theme nights (2for1) at the bar. I would recomend and stay again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank tmarcone

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We love to hear our guests share their experiences on TripAdvisor.

Thanks so much for taking time to share yours.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 11, 2010

We found this hotel to be clean and near new looking; however, the tub to shower converter did not work the first morning, we reported the problem at 9 AM, upon returning to the room at 8:30 PM the problem was not solved, a phone call to the front desk was made and at first we were told no one was in the hotel that could fix the problem that night, after some discussion the desk clerk agreed to call the manager who came to our room about 9 PM, we also told him the tub drain was not working as it should. At 10:30 PM the manager finally had fixed the shower problem but not the drain and promised to get a plumber out the next day, Our plans changed the next day and we checked out so we do not know if the drain problem was ever corrected. This could have been a pleasant experience if the maintenance of the hotel was properly kept up but instead it was the first and last visit for us.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent visit to our hotel. It dissapoints us to hear that you were dissatisfied while staying with us. We apologize for your inconvenience; that is not the level of service we strive to provide.

We pride ourselves in making our guests’ stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible. We would love to have you back again, which will give us the opportunity to show that we care about our guests, and want to provide outstanding services.

Once again, thank you for choosing us and we look forward to having you again.

Reviewed March 17, 2010

This is a great example of Holiday Inn's new prototype building - rooms are bright, stylish and modern, with flat screen TVs (although at 27" they're sized too small for the generous room size). I stayed on points and received a corner room that has a small wraparaound window setup, but I don't think the corner/end rooms are bigger than standard rooms.

A big plus is that this is a full service hotel...with included high speed internet. It's wired in the rooms with only a weaker wifi signal available. The wired access was fast.

One "wrinkle the nose" issue is the bathrooms. While the sink/vanity area is granite and looks modern, the shower-only setup in my king room looked like a throwback to 1985 - with cheesy beige ceramic tile on the walls and small floor tile borrowed from a high school locker room. It's as if the owners ran out of money while building the property.

Now, for the noise issue: It's true that this hotel is beneath the takeoff/landing approach for the north/south runways at MEM. At my mid-level room, the corner wraparound window probably intensified the rumblings from the FedEx DC-10s taking off to the south; my north-facing room probably wasn't best either. If you do stay, ask for a lower level and south-facing room, and NOT a corner room,and I believe you'll be in great shape.

Also keep in mind that this property, while new and fresh, is by itself in its area - there are no restaurants within walking distance; indeed, there is little but empty lots within walking distance. It's a very short drive to Goodman Road and many dining options, however.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo