“Springfest”

Snowden Grove Amphitheater
Ranked #15 of 17 things to do in Southaven
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This whole complex is fantastic. Ball fields, amphitheater, park, convenient location. Big name performers and one of the best BBQ contests early in the year.

1  Thank James H

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I recently attended the Dave Matthews Band show at this venue. Like the previous reviewer I agree it could have been great. Unfoutunately it was way over crowded. I have seen DMB over a dozen times. I know what the crowd will be before I even get there. Concessions were limited at best, long, long, lines for beer, snacks were limited and bathroom lines were ridiculous. Our seats however were great. Clear view during the whole concert except for the time the police officer chose to let his "friends/girlfriends" stand infront of our seats in the isleway. Security guard asked him to clear the walkway yet they remained. We had friends that had 10 row seats and couldn't see because of the people standing all along the front of the stage. These people did not have front row tickets but were allowed to stand in front of fans that had numbered front row seats. Don't quite understand that. They were there for the entire show. The GA seats were a joke. No room to breath much less enjoy the show. Someone told us that the gate between the Springfest Midway and the ampitheater was left open and about 1000 people came in before the security people realized that. Not confirmed but may explain the overcrowding. Probably won't go back to this venue. Not even for Dave

1  Thank workhardtraveloften
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I bought tickets to the DMB show in April. My tickets were for the lawn area, which is a first come first serve area. I understood that when I bought the tickets. What I didn't realize, was that they oversold the venue.

According to the venue's website, their capacity is 11,000.
"Today, the Snowden Grove Amphitheater has 4,000 fixed seats in the lower part of the amphitheater bowl with additional capacity for up to 7,000"

Source: http://snowdengroveamphitheater.com/about_us/

When asked on Twitter, the venue stated that the fire marshall upped the maximum safe capacity to 12,200, so that was how many tickets they sold.

Unfortunately, this venue has yet to learn the difference between "Maximum safe capacity" and "Number of Patrons that the infrastructure can support" or "Number of Patrons that can enjoy the show."

As far as infrastructure: All the lines (bathroom, beer, etc) were 30-45 minutes long. It just wasn't built to serve that large a number of patrons.

Bottom line: As long as Snowden Grove Ampitheater continues to book events to its maximum safe capacity, it will be way too crowded to enjoy a show.

1  Thank nmh6302
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

This is what happens when a small town venue gets blinded by greed.

I could have dealt with the long lines (30 minutes) to use the restroom.
I could have dealt with the long lines (30 minutes) for beer.
I could have dealt with the mud everywhere.

But paying for two tickets, and realizing they overbooked the venue? That was more than I could handle.

Really wish I had travelled further to a REAL venue with adequate room. Really hated to miss DMB, but I left before they hit the stage. I wish I had read some of these reviews before I bought my tickets.

The worst part: if they (the venue) hadn't been blinded by greed, this could have been an awesome experience.

My prediction: Snowden Grove will quickly gain a reputation of the place to stay away from. They had a chance to impress me: I won't be going back.

3  Thank 79richland
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Concerts sound really good in this amphitheater. Newer facility with great restrooms and concessions.