“OK for a Cheap Night's Stay”
Review of Super 8 Southaven

Super 8 Southaven
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Southaven
Reviewed February 20, 2012

If you don't mind the strong smell of curry and cheap fruity air fresheners, this place is fine for a cheap night's stay. They actually do have a decent mini-breakfast. It's not a dump. It's clean and safe -- just no frills. So if you were driving up from a good distance for a Memphis vacation, you could crash here your first night just to get some rest and save a few bucks for Beale Street. My wife and I got a room for one night for $50, and nibbled at the free breakfast. Just make sure they don't forget to turn on the heat to your room!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed February 15, 2012

When we pulled up outside, I thought not bad for a Super 8. Then we proceeded to check in. My party consisted of 4 rooms and everything looked good at first site. We paid for our rooms and then proceeded to wind down after a long day of traveling I am the only smoker in the bunch so I opted for a smoking room which is on the 2nd floor.The stairs leading up to the 2nd floor were "old and creeky" and at the base of the stairs there is a door that is leading to the back of the parking lot. Something told me to check the door and when i did, it was not secure AT ALL. Anyone from outside could walk right in without any key/security. I was the only room in my 4 room party that was smoking and they were grouped together on the 1st floor while i was all the way down the opposite wall on the 2nd floor. When I went down to the front desk to ask for a different room downstairs closer to my party due to safety concerns, I was told that it was too late. My room had already been paid for and if I wanted to switch rooms i would be charged again. The clerk would also be sleeping downstairs so if he could do i could also basically.. OK. so we braved a night in the room only to wake up for breakfast that consisted of bad milk and juice. They have signs that say fire door but lead to nothing. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. I was travelling w/ a small child and this is the FIRST time that I have had real concerns about a hotel

Room Tip: 2nd floor only has one way up, one way down.. fire hazard
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Stayed here one night while passing through Memphis. Rate was cheap, but so were the accommodations. The smell of curry was in the hallways, but not the rooms.

Room Tip: If you want a cheap room and don't care about the accomodations, this is your place.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Upon arrival I was told by the manager, who was working the front desk, my reservation was past and I was marked as a "no show'. This was a prepaid reservation. I asked how could this happen,can you do something to help me. He flat out said no. I Called Hotwire and they even asked him to refund me and he refused. He made me pay for another room, and in the confusion of our arrival I didnt notice the sign saying that no pets were allowed. After bringing our dog in, he said we had to leave, he would not work with us, we offered to just leave the dog in our van in her pet taxi but he said that wasnt acceptable. Wouldnt give any refund even though we werent even there an hour! I don't think this is the was to treat people that come in off the road after a long day of driving. Now I have paid for a hotel stay twice, and didn't stay in the hotel! This manager is only concerned with himself and his profits, no concern for the other person. He is a foreigner that has his entire family residing on the first floor of the hotel, he has knocked out walls between rooms and theres a whole bunch of people actually living there. I feel that he has no respect for Americans, no compassion. I follow the Golden Rule, he obviously has no undersanding of that concept. I filed a complaint with Super 8, the manager called me, and told me a string of lies, like he didnt remember me from my visit! I was in the lobby for an hour, right in front of him! His offer of resolution, after pointing out his lies, was to refund me for the first charge, but charge me more for the 2nd??!! Basically he was going to refund me $67 and charge me $50 more because he says he reduced the rate for me. $17??!! For all my troubles??!! I was traveling with my parents and sister in law, they both booked rooms here, too. My parents reserved a non smoking room, he told them he had none left, so they took a smoking room and went to put their stuff in and the smell was overwhelming! Theytold the manager they couldnt stay in it, He said sorry you used the room now I have to clean it. They literally were in the room 2 mins! I told him this place was a joke and got very irate! He magically found a non smoking room available! They had to leave with us as we were riding together and they recieved no refund. My sister in laws room had a broken towel rack which she reported to the front desk and was told "Oh yeah thats been broken awhile" When she woke up the next morning for breakfast, it wasnt ready on time and the lobby was 80 degrees like they turned the air off to save money, the desk clerk hinted that he was a cheapskate.

Room Tip: Look for a new hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Christinecage
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I hope they will be shut down as soon as possible so that people will no long get disappointed and annoyed by the poor condition and poor working staff and poor everything. I thought I would be served a decent breakfast but I found out that they just gave you thin orange juice or apple juice mixed with water, thin milk as well. The bread smells horrible. Nobody would eat it . To be honest, I thought I was cheated, I paid almost 60 bucks(taxes included) for nothing! The Hinduism stuff freaks me out, I should check the room before I check-in. Regretted for living up within there for a night. Don't go there ! Never!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Susansusie
Reviewed March 19, 2011

If you want an average motel, with an average staff, average ammenities and an average room then this place will not disappoint. It was clean, but the bed linens were thin and the mattress was dirty. The bedspread had a hole in it and when I asked for an extra blanket I was told I would have to come down and get it. The hairdryer didn't work and I didn't bother to ask for another one. I paid $50 for one night and was thankful I didn't have to stay another night.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Does NOT deserve evan one star but you gotta out something. I was quoted an AARP rate of 49.95 but when I went to check in the rate was 54.95. No big deal just 5.00 but the smell in the lobby and hallways was a big deal. I complained about the odor at the desk and they said they would spray the halls. I was told by others that the smell is from spices used in the India and Pakistan part of the world. This hotel is run by people from somewhere else and although I appreciate their loyalty to their traditions I don't appreciate the stench it creates. My clothes, suitcases and shoes now reek of this smell. This morning I asked a member of the hotel staff if this is normal and was told the management is not concerned nor do they intend to change their ways. I spend about 150 to 175 nights a year in hotels selected by and paid for by my employers. I have wondered why they have never booked a Super 8 before.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business