“not what it used to be”

Residence Inn Jackson Ridgeland
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Ridgeland
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We've been staying since shortly after they opened when we went to visit son and grandchildren.The furniture is badly in need of replacing and they really need some taller housekeeping staff. The tops of everything needed dusting. The location and satff remain great.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 4, 2012

My family and I stayed at this property for a family function. The front desk clerk was about as friendly as an alligator. One afternoon housekeeping took all of our dirty washcloths and towels, but didn't replace them. I'm assuming they were being laundered, but this has never happened to me before. So I had to call the front desk to have them replaced. When we returned a few hours later, the folded towels were placed on the kitchen counter (right inside the door). I guess it was too much of an effort to put them in the bathroom. On another occassion my family and I went to dinner and came back to find someone mopping the lobby at 10 pm. Wo does that? So we had to wait until it some what dried (so my elderly folks wouldn't slip down and break their necks) to access the elevator. Finally they ran out of paper plates for the free breakast. I told the desk clerk and she told me the attendant had ran out to a local store to pick some up. Fortunately I remembered one of my relatives had some so I called him to bring some down. In the meantime the desk clerk remembered that the hotel stocked china as most rooms have dishwashers . .ding ding ding. So she brought in some china plates that were chipped. By this time the attendant came rushing in with 4 big bags of paper plates. There is no excuse for running out of paper plates. The next day I called the manager and told her about this and she promised to send me a certificate good for my next stay . . . . I'm still waiting for it. This hotel is poorly managed and short staffed. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We have now stayed at this Residence twice for a week at a time. The staff in the hotel is always friendly, welcoming and helpful. We are greeted daily by staff and asked how are stay is going and if they can do anything for us. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. I like the proximity of the hotel to restaurants, shopping and easy access to I55. When visiting our son in the area we will always return to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LGuerrieri
Reviewed May 18, 2012

My family and I have stayed at this property several times for leisure and for business. The facility is newer and has the usual ResInn amenities. We have always felt safe and like to be in proximity to restaurants and shopping. This trip was made even better by the attentiveness of Ms. Linda at the front desk. She greeted us warmly and went out of her way to make our stay enjoyable. She always had a ready smile for our children and answered every question or request we had. I wish all properties had similar staff that truly care about service!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the sports courts and pool are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank chem_dr
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I'll get whats good out of the way here. Newer lobby, rooms clean and well stocked, everything in the kitchen working and not dinged up. Grounds are well kept. Property is far enough off of I-55 that it wont keep you awake.

Now the NOT

When you have a problem at any hotel the solution better be the same from one staff member to the next. now things change, so maybe that solution changes once. I had a problem and between checkin @8pm and checkout @8am, the solution changed 3 times and ended with a manager telling me it was because of me. Funny thing was the night auditor had told me one hour before that they just didn't know how to make it work. So someone was a lying.

A refreshed hotel should have a staff with pride. The associate @ check in, was in a dirty, stained smock. She was sitting in the lounge talking to a friend when we pulled up in front of the window she was seated at. She watched us, but didn't get up and come to the counter until I was already standing at it.

There was a woman with a name tag cleaning up the tile in the entry way, but there where also two people in street clothing helping her, obviously friends or family and not employees.

As the morning crew came in, a young man went behind the counter in his Marriott uniform, black pants, black shirt, name tag, red dew rag under a black ball cap tilted to the side. Yes sir its "Residence Inn the Hood" He was at the counter working at a computer for 20 minutes.

Then the manager came in, faded blue polo with her name tag and not tucked in.

I always try to pay with Marriott Gift cards. This is sometimes an issue. At this location, flat out no one knew what to do, but the manager.

Breakfast was passable, except they just couldn't seem to make coffee. I mean, for 45 minutes there was NO coffee, at 7 in the morning. Folks were going to the front desk to complain.

King Room was over $150 a night, I could have stayed at the full service Marriott property downtown for $129 on a stay for breakfast rate and had a table service breakfast with my family.

The staff here simply had no pride in their work, nor respect for their guests.

Room Tip: Stay at any one of the 6 other hotels within a block of this one.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fitzit
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Stayed one night on business. First they put me in a handicap room, don't like these because the toilet sits so high, but this one had mold all over the shower walls too. They switched me to another room, but she did it with a snide attitude. Just change my room and keep the tide please! The "exercise room" title must be a joke, it's more like a closet with a couple of treadmills stuffed inside. So so experience, they have some work to do to catch up to the Marriott brand expectations!

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Like a few others here, I was disappointed with this location - it is not bad, just not what I expected from a newer Residence Inn. Property looks run down, and is not maintained well - surprising for a newer property. Service was good, location was good, surrounded by lots of shopping and restaurants, but hotel felt much older than its age. Rooms needed a little TLC in basic repairs. I also experienced the loud AC unit - in the middle of the night, the AC unit started making a very loud noise - had to turn it off - not sure what that was about. Had the basic one-room suite, with full kitchenette. Overall, not a bad stay, and would probably stay here again, but for the price, it was disappointing.

Room Tip: All rooms are away from the highway, so any location is good, but may want to stay away from the nor...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business