“The Best Steak House In The Area ?”

Shapley's Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 153 Restaurants in Ridgeland
Cuisines: American, French, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was a New Year's celebration with a group of friends and the restaurant was busier than previous visits. Given that, the service was good as I have always experienced. The meal overall was very good although three of us in the group felt our steak was either over- or under-cooked slightly, depending on the order. For example, I ordered my filet "medium" and it came what I would consider "medium well". The lesson here is to discuss with the wait staff the definition of those terms! Our sides and even the bread (and butter) were good enough to talk about. Shapley's is expensive (about $100 for my wife and I) but I will certainly go back for special occasions.

2  Thank Jim B

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Atmosphere is nice, no young children, Thank You Lord, no high chairs, great date place, filets are my fav 2nd to halibut oh my!!! prices ala carte, spinach is wonderful, fries only no baked potatoes is the only draw back,roasted potatoes are good, salad is good, parmesan peppercorn dressing divine, fabulous waiter: Jason Wilson, or Corey Thompson, very clean, excellent service

2  Thank Pam M
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I travel a lot for work and must eat out many nights. I like to sit at steakhouse bars because they are usually comfortable for a solo diner. My experience here was really disappointing. I actually was taking out one of my employees for a nice dinner, but since we were dressed casually, we decided to dine at the empty bar. Well...I guess that upset the bartender because he had absolutely no interest in being of service. It was as if we were "bothering" him - yet it was only 7pm (not like we walked in at closing time). The food was good - i had the ribeye & the scalloped potatoes. However, it doesn't appear that I will be going back anytime soon. I like smiling & welcoming service. I am sure I could have found that at many other places and would have spent less money!

2  Thank jy5457
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The bone in filet was probably the best steak I have ever had - perfectly charred on the outside, tender and falvorful. It was also probably the most expensive steak I have ever had. Be sure to ask the price of the 'specials'. The bone in filet was about $15 more than the other filet. I can't say whether it was worth it or not, but it was very good. We also had the roasted new potatoes, the scalloped potatoes and the cream spinach. The roasted potatoes were wonderful! The cream spinach was very good - nice and cheesy. I thought the scalloped potatoes were not cheesy enough - I could not taste the cheese at all and the chives were just lumped in a small pile on top, so they did not contribute any flavor to the dish. My brother-in-law had the asparagus and he enjoyed it. We also had a bottle of a California cab blend recommended by our server that was very good but I don't know which one it was. Service was very good - we had no complaints. For the price of the meal, I have had better service, but again, we did not have any specific complaints.

In summary, this was not be best steak restaurant I have been too - that was Papa's Steakhouse in Dallas, but it was the best steak I have eaten and a very good meal and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

2  Thank G0t2Travel
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Shapley's is a very nice restaurant. While you can order fish there, they are known for their steaks. It's not cheap, but the food is very good and the portions are a good size. Make sure you try the tamales or BBQ shrimp for an appetizer.

5  Thank BBmyself