“Surprised at the negative ratings”

Hyatt Place Jackson/Ridgeland
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Ridgeland
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My 3 kids and I stayed here while evacuating from Hurricane Isaac. We had nothing less than a great experience. Hyatt Place is my go-to hotel when evacuating from hurricanes! (Gustav, Isaac). Been to several locations and they all deliver. Clean, contemporary, large suites (great for families), adequate breakfast, indoor pool, bar/food. While there is no restaurant on the premise, they do offer pizza, sandwiches, nachos, salad, etc. When we were there, Isaac found its way to Jackson and I didn't feel like driving to dinner in the pouring rain/wind, so we opted to stay at the hotel. I ordered 2 pizzas and some sandwiches. They actually ran out of pizza so we ordered Papa John's, but they comped the rest of the food for the inconvenience (which wasn't much.) The only real inconvenience was that they were having trouble with their wireless so I was sometimes unable to access the internet via my iPad. But they have 2 wired computers downstairs so that wasn't a real issue, either. They are within waking distance of a very nice outdoor shopping center, a sort of "town center" development with stores ranging from Banana Republic to Barnes and Noble to Apple. My teen girls and I enjoyed strolling through there; my 6-yr-old son, not too much. Speaking of which, they could use a few kids' channels on the TV. Cartoon Network was listed, but that was just a pay-for-games channel. We all finally resorted to watching "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo." Aaackkk! This Hyatt Place is also fairly pricy, probably due to the upscale location. (But still....)

1  Thank gemmom

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Indoor pool was freezing cold. Room was worn and shabby (we were on the 6th floor, too). Toilet was wobbly and no longer attached to the floor and a huge bleach stain between bed and bathroom. Breakfast Sunday morning supposedly began at 7 but when we went down, it was already a disgusting mess: food all over every surface including floors, utensils, seats and tables. Food was picked over and unappetizing. Asked for a manager but one wasn't on duty at the time. Todd working the front desk was more interesting in counting his register than taking my information for a manager to "get back to me". A call to the Hyatt Guest Affairs line took my message but that's all they could do till a manager came in. We will never, ever, EVER stay in this nasty place again.

Room Tip: Apparently, there are no good rooms at this hotel.
4  Thank shellzbell
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I was expecting a better experience with the Hyatt brand attached. Here's what we experienced.
Our ride up to the sixth floor should have told us something about the lack of housekeeping here. The elevator was dirty. There were smears on the doors like someone wiped at them with a cloth and dirty water. The floor was stained. On each floor the elevator made a strangely loud buzzing noise to announce reaching each floor! Why? When we made it to the sixth floor the hallway to our room was HOT. Do they run the AC up here? Things got progressively worse from there. Our room had a strong moldy/musty smell. It seems to be originating from the AC unit in the room. What's growing in there? I can't think of many people who would enjoy sleeping in a damp, musty basement. Ok... What about the bathroom? More mold! The shower had mold growing in it. The towel rack in the shower was rusted. The door opened half-way and then got stuck on the floor. The bathroom was so small we had to wedge ourselves between the door and the toilet to get in or out of it. Did I mention the soap smells like urinal cakes? Why would I want to smell like that? The bed was a nice size. But, it squeaked with every little movement. The blanket had holes in it. It wasn't comfortable for me or my wife. Now for the few positive things about the room. WOW, that TV is huge! There's a fridge in the room, even though it froze our water. Ok, no biggie. Desk area and chair were nice... nice bar area... nice couch and ottoman. I think a good cleaning is in order. Maybe a mattress and linen swap? Perhaps a management change? Where's housekeeping? Sorry, I expected so much more than what I got. We won't be back... I will stay away from Hyatt Places everywhere because of this.... Yuck.

5  Thank Mike B
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Arrived on a Friday and had an easy check in. Room was nice, but when we went to hang up the clothes in the closet, the clothes rod and shelf came tumbling down on my head. It was being held by 4 tiny plastic drywall anchors and I could see by the other holes in the wall it had happened before. They need to learn what a toggle bolt or molly bolt is when they hang it the third time. They have a small indoor salt water pool. Coming back to the hotel Saturday night after a wedding others in the wedding party wanted to sit out on the patio. Big mistake, since the night clerk dead bolted the door and everyone was locked inside of a gated area. Numerous calls to the front desk were never answered. Finally we had one person fit enough to climb over the wrought iron fence and tried to go in the front door of the hotel with the access card, but it had been dead bolted as well. Finally the clerk came back after 45 minutes and let us back in. This hotel sits right up against the interstate and the traffic noise is high so if you are a light sleeper you should go somewhere else.

4  Thank Izzy333
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Very clean and spacious rooms. It was very quiet even though the building is next to the highway. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The sectional sofa was fun to slounge on to watch a large flat screen tv and the bed was very comfortable.

1  Thank annet108
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel is in an excellent location next to I-55, and walking distance to a mall with nice shops and restaurants. The staff is great, very friendly and accommodating, especially Elena and Joe. Our only complain is the mold in the walk-in shower. No need for that when you can spray Clorox and wait for it to work. It has a nice bar with some food for those of us who have been on the road all day and do not want go go out for food. Our room was next to the road and we could hear the traffic, also the air conditioning fan was very noisy.

1  Thank YM C
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Chose this hotel because another reviewer said Ridgeland was a better area. We were pleasantly surprised. New, very clean, large rooms. Our room had two double beds and a big sectional couch which was perfect. The beds were very comfortable. We watched a movie on the big flat screen tv. The kids swam in the indoor pool. My husband was happy the gym had free weights. The area has lots of upscale shopping and a big Fresh Market right down the road. Very nice area. We are a little picky and germaphobic but we were very pleased and thought it was a great value.

• Stayed: August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgeland
Embassy Suites by Hilton Jackson - North/Ridgeland
Home2 Suites by Hilton Jackson/Ridgeland
TownePlace Suites Jackson Ridgeland/The Township at Colony Park
SpringHill Suites Jackson Ridgeland/The Township at Colony Park
Hilton Jackson
Hilton Jackson
#2 of 39 in Jackson
Drury Inn & Suites Jackson Ridgeland

Been to Hyatt Place Jackson/Ridgeland? Share your experiences!