“Disgusting!”

Hyatt Place Jackson/Ridgeland
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Ridgeland
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Indoor pool was freezing cold. Room was worn and shabby (we were on the 6th floor, too). Toilet was wobbly and no longer attached to the floor and a huge bleach stain between bed and bathroom. Breakfast Sunday morning supposedly began at 7 but when we went down, it was already a disgusting mess: food all over every surface including floors, utensils, seats and tables. Food was picked over and unappetizing. Asked for a manager but one wasn't on duty at the time. Todd working the front desk was more interesting in counting his register than taking my information for a manager to "get back to me". A call to the Hyatt Guest Affairs line took my message but that's all they could do till a manager came in. We will never, ever, EVER stay in this nasty place again.

Room Tip: Apparently, there are no good rooms at this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank shellzbell

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I was expecting a better experience with the Hyatt brand attached. Here's what we experienced.
Our ride up to the sixth floor should have told us something about the lack of housekeeping here. The elevator was dirty. There were smears on the doors like someone wiped at them with a cloth and dirty water. The floor was stained. On each floor the elevator made a strangely loud buzzing noise to announce reaching each floor! Why? When we made it to the sixth floor the hallway to our room was HOT. Do they run the AC up here? Things got progressively worse from there. Our room had a strong moldy/musty smell. It seems to be originating from the AC unit in the room. What's growing in there? I can't think of many people who would enjoy sleeping in a damp, musty basement. Ok... What about the bathroom? More mold! The shower had mold growing in it. The towel rack in the shower was rusted. The door opened half-way and then got stuck on the floor. The bathroom was so small we had to wedge ourselves between the door and the toilet to get in or out of it. Did I mention the soap smells like urinal cakes? Why would I want to smell like that? The bed was a nice size. But, it squeaked with every little movement. The blanket had holes in it. It wasn't comfortable for me or my wife. Now for the few positive things about the room. WOW, that TV is huge! There's a fridge in the room, even though it froze our water. Ok, no biggie. Desk area and chair were nice... nice bar area... nice couch and ottoman. I think a good cleaning is in order. Maybe a mattress and linen swap? Perhaps a management change? Where's housekeeping? Sorry, I expected so much more than what I got. We won't be back... I will stay away from Hyatt Places everywhere because of this.... Yuck.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Mike B
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Arrived on a Friday and had an easy check in. Room was nice, but when we went to hang up the clothes in the closet, the clothes rod and shelf came tumbling down on my head. It was being held by 4 tiny plastic drywall anchors and I could see by the other holes in the wall it had happened before. They need to learn what a toggle bolt or molly bolt is when they hang it the third time. They have a small indoor salt water pool. Coming back to the hotel Saturday night after a wedding others in the wedding party wanted to sit out on the patio. Big mistake, since the night clerk dead bolted the door and everyone was locked inside of a gated area. Numerous calls to the front desk were never answered. Finally we had one person fit enough to climb over the wrought iron fence and tried to go in the front door of the hotel with the access card, but it had been dead bolted as well. Finally the clerk came back after 45 minutes and let us back in. This hotel sits right up against the interstate and the traffic noise is high so if you are a light sleeper you should go somewhere else.

4  Thank Izzy333
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Very clean and spacious rooms. It was very quiet even though the building is next to the highway. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The sectional sofa was fun to slounge on to watch a large flat screen tv and the bed was very comfortable.

1  Thank annet108
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel is in an excellent location next to I-55, and walking distance to a mall with nice shops and restaurants. The staff is great, very friendly and accommodating, especially Elena and Joe. Our only complain is the mold in the walk-in shower. No need for that when you can spray Clorox and wait for it to work. It has a nice bar with some food for those of us who have been on the road all day and do not want go go out for food. Our room was next to the road and we could hear the traffic, also the air conditioning fan was very noisy.

1  Thank YM C
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Chose this hotel because another reviewer said Ridgeland was a better area. We were pleasantly surprised. New, very clean, large rooms. Our room had two double beds and a big sectional couch which was perfect. The beds were very comfortable. We watched a movie on the big flat screen tv. The kids swam in the indoor pool. My husband was happy the gym had free weights. The area has lots of upscale shopping and a big Fresh Market right down the road. Very nice area. We are a little picky and germaphobic but we were very pleased and thought it was a great value.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My husband, our son, my in-laws, and I spent the weekend at this hotel for a family reunion. I really enjoyed it.

Check-in was handled by my husband, but it was so quick, that after the bags were pulled from the cars, the multiple rooms and keys were already dsitributed. The front desk was very helpful, kind, and courteous.

The rooms were perfect, as always with this chain. Everything was clean. The refrigerator was ready to be used. Beds were comfortable, even the pullout. The bathrooms were clean and well-appointed. I particularly loved the rainshower showerhead in the bathroom.

Breakfast was so yummy. The hot sandwiches (think McMuffin) were really good. I usually had one or two of those accompanied by fruit or yogurt and juice. Readily stocked and very tasty.

We didn't have a chance to use the fitness of pool areas, but viewed both and had no complaints about them appearance wise.

There was one minor issue. On the morning following check-in, I made the bed before we left the room for reunion activities. It was no where near the perfection it was upon check-in, but I knew it would be remade upon the room servicing and didn't worry too much about it. Upon exiting, my husband left a tip on the bed and we went about our day.

When we returned later that evening, we noticed the room had not been properly cleaned. The sinks were not wiped down, the bed was still in the less than made appearance I'd left it in, and the only thing that appeared to have been done was the addition of a couple of new towels. Honestly, I would have just took it in stride since there were new towels, but my husband noted that the tip was no longer on the bed. I had an issue with that. A tip, to me, is a demonstrated appreciation of service to be received upon completion of service. I've always left gratuities at hotels and have never once seen gratuity taken without work being done. I called to the front desk to inform them that we weren't pleased with that action.

They were very nice, very cordial, and offered a free beverage at ther bar area. I honestly didn't want anything. I simply wanted them to be aware that something had happened outside of what I've previously associated with the Hyatt Place brand.

Pretty minor, not a deal breaker. We enjoyed our stay and will probably do it again if the opportunity is presented/

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgeland
Embassy Suites by Hilton Jackson - North/Ridgeland
Home2 Suites by Hilton Jackson/Ridgeland
TownePlace Suites Jackson Ridgeland/The Township at Colony Park
Hilton Jackson
Hilton Jackson
#2 of 39 in Jackson
Drury Inn & Suites Jackson Ridgeland
SpringHill Suites Jackson Ridgeland/The Township at Colony Park

Been to Hyatt Place Jackson/Ridgeland? Share your experiences!