“Amazing Hotel!”

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Ridgeland
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Amazing Hotel!”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

This hotel was definitely the nicest hotel I have stayed in in the Jackson Metro Area. If you're unfamiliar with Jackson...it's very scarry in alot of places. But this hotel is in a very nice upscale shyopping center all within walking distance. It was great for the children because of the indoor swimming pool. We stopped on our way to Destin and well definitely stay again. The service was absolutely the best I have ever stayed in. The front desk gave us a tour of the facility and they all seemed to apprecaite the job they do. Was a great start to our vacation!

Room Tip: Please get a room facing away from the interstate
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
North Little Rock, AR
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Traveling with kids and a picky parent will test even the very best hotel. Instead of spending an extra $50 to stay at another large hotel in the area with a hot breakfast, we went out on a limb and had our first stay at this chain. If you check in after midnight, you might wander among the night owls enjoying adult beverages and loud conversation in the lobby before realizing there's not a traditional front desk. Instead, look for the small but convenient kiosks waiting quietly for you to discover them and check in. They made for an easy arrival, although I'm not sure what the back-up plan is should you have a question or problem. With a swipe of your credit card, you are greeted and check-in begins. You can even change your room floor level and decide how many keys are needed. The kiosk dispenses room keys, and you're welcome to grab a luggage cart and head to your room. The lobby was nice with a very contemporary style, and several people had made themselves quite comfortable.

Having two adults and two children, we would have preferred a room with two queen beds but only kings were available. However, we were given a handicapped room for some reason (the senior citizen in the group senses it was because we booked under her discounted rate). There seemed to be additional space in the handicapped room which worked exceptionally well for us. The two kids slept on the fold out queen size sofa bed which had a thick mattress and the same comfortable pillows as the king bed. During the day, we folded the bed back into the sofa which was a large L-shaped piece that comfortably fit at least three people and even had a large, movable ottoman. There was a nice counter by the door with a small refrigerator and three storage drawers for clothing. It also had a large mirror over the counter and plug-ins. A great additional space for fixing hair and putting on makeup. In that same area was a large desk with more plug-ins and chair. On a set of shelves between the sitting and bed areas, was a 42" flat screen TV. LOVED that feature! It was easily viewed from the sofa or bed. No arguing over turning it so someone could see. The closet and sink were in the bed area. Note to self - handicapped room has a lower bar in the closet. Picky senior citizen parent had to be reminded it was designed that way, and was not a weird quirk. Hanging clothes on top of the folding closet doors worked fine for longer clothes. So quit your griping!! Toilet and shower area had plenty of space but could have used more light. Sink area was small, but manageable. The king bed felt comfortable at 1 am, but picky senior citizen still found room to complain the next morning. Said they slept in a hole on their side of the mattress. Other adult was comatose and didn't know what they slept in. Next night the younger adult noticed a slight indention on their side of the mattress too. But still managed to have a good night's sleep. Very soft pillows. Could have been a thicker comforter. Thought it was just a coverlet, but later realized there was a super thin down-type comforter between the sheet and coverlet. Normally that might not be an issue. But the thermostat control is by the door while the actual air conditioning unit is by the window and bed on the other side of the room. Those in bed will tend to be much cooler than those sleeping on the fold out sofa. Thus the need for a thicker comforter or an extra blanket in the room. Sound was not an issue until people began gathering on the patio outside below the room for breakfast. Thankfully, the cleaning staff was very helpful with extra towels and toothbrushes so that picky parent could wash without complaint. Breakfast, however, was another matter...

Picky senior citizen parent went with child #1 to breakfast while the other two got dressed. Picky parent returned with a less than glowing review of the menu options. The younger adult couldn't wait to get downstairs to prove her wrong, but alas, couldn't find much to brag about. Having stayed in everything from the lowest end motel to the upper end of hotel chains, I think I have pretty reasonable expectations. Continental breakfast is not going to get you hot, gourmet french toast, cappuccino or even sausage (although Hyatt offers hot food at a price - interesting that no prices are listed on the menu). But Hyatt's selections don't rival some of its competitors. It's a standard breakfast that will fill your stomach, but probably won't get you too excited about coming back for seconds. Hyatt does a great job with presentation, especially with the variety of hot coffees, teas, juices and milks. Even the plates and silverware are nice (no paper plates and plastic forks). But the options were somewhat limited beyond that. There was a bowl of fresh melon type fruit that didn't have the best flavor along with a bowl of yogurt cups. Guests could choose from a standard assortment of 4 cold cereals. The first morning they attempted to have biscuits and gravy, but there wasn't enough gravy to soften those biscuits for eating. They swapped out the biscuits for oatmeal the next morning, which was mushy but a much better option. The standard bowl of bananas and apples awaited along with a variety of breads. White and wheat slices of bread were available for toasting along with mini English muffins and mini plain bagels. Mini poppy seed muffins, powdered donuts, cake donuts and glazed donuts rounded out the pastry section. The muffins weren't a popular option, and the donuts weren't the freshest either - but it's a hotel breakfast, not Krispy Kreme. No one went hungry, and everyone found something to eat. But the hotel is probably missing a chance to stand out a bit more from its competition. If it hadn't been 95 degrees outside, the patio looked like a nice place to eat. Instead we enjoyed breakfast inside while shooing pajama-clad children from another table away from our table and the serving area (something about unsupervised children putting little hands all over food and drink options just kills the appetite). Pajama-clad parents didn't seem to notice.

Didn't try the exercise room or pool, but a stroll through the beautiful outdoor shopping area next door may be just as fun.

Overall, the average traveler will be pleased with their stay here. If you want a hot breakfast, cough up the extra dough and order off the menu or stay elsewhere. Otherwise, enjoy the oatmeal and coffee as well as the money you saved. Don't forget to say bye to the kiosk when you leave.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed May 21, 2011

I have stayed over 60 days at this hotel for business. The rooms are nice and look just like the website photos. If you are a light sleeper ask for a room that does not face the freeway/interstate. The most quiet rooms are corner rooms. The included daily breakfast is nice, but does not include eggs. The internet is free, however be aware that if the hotel is over 20% full, which most of the time it is, the internet crawls. The front desk staff are very nice, however when I have inquired regarding the slow internet service, the Hyatt staff all state that they can not make it better. I generally go over to the nearby Barnes and Noble, (5 minute walk away), or a 5 minute drive away is Fusion Coffee Shop, they have very fast internet for free. This is the first time I have been to a Hyatt property with slow internet.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank California90278
Spanish Fork
Reviewed December 9, 2010

The hotel was very nice, and very comfortable. The people at the desk went out of their way to be nice and helpful. The room was very spacious and quiet and comfortable. It was off season so the price was amazingly low. There was a place to use the internet although they do have wifi availabe in your room. There was a continental breakfast, but you have to pay for hot food. That is my only complaint with this hotel. All in all we were very pleased with our stay. Oh, it was not difficult to find with gps and it is close to the Cowboy Culture museum, which you should visit if you are staying at the hyatt.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Chattanooga, TN
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I stayed in room 204. Every morning around 6 AM some noise below me started and vibrated the room to the point the pictures on the wall, the bed and the glass shower door would vibrate. Also, the temperature on the shower could not be regulated. The morning of my checkout, the water in the shower went scolding hot and would not go cooler. It was very unpleasant to rinse the soap off in scolding hot water. If I had been staying any longer, I would have requested to change rooms.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank bamabat
Florida
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Overall the hotel itself was great. Well maintained, room was extremely nice. Bed was plush, TV was large - room was quiet. Good location within walking distance to nice shopping area. I didn't try breakfast, as I ate breakfast out both morning I was there. The staff was horrible.

Had one huge issue. I made the mistake of leaving my credit card on the counter in a clear plastic see through wallet. It was easily visible when you walk into the room. The card is an emergency card that I have used only once - I usually don't carry it, but my wife had grabbed it, and I forgot to put it in the wallet I carry with me. The card is set up to alert me when it is used. We returned to the room around 10:00 that evening, and get an email at 10:50 telling me the card had been used for a cell phone payment of a Mississippi based cell phone company that I don't use and had never heard of just seconds earlier. I searched for the card, located it where I left it, and it became obvious that someone with access to the room (cleaning crew, maintenance, etc), had written down the number to use later, and thought I wouldn't notice it until I was gone.

I printed out the email notification out, notified the manager who wrote down my phone number and said she would be following up with me in the next day or two once she spoke to whomever serviced my room that day. I never heard from her. I emailed her and she never responded. All I wanted was a simple apology. If she told me that she couldn't locate the thief, or couldn't prove that they had used my information I would've understood. However, she has ignored me like the plague, and the professionalism of the Hyatt brand is now in question for me. First a staff member steals and uses my card information fraudently, and then a manager fails to followup or even apologize. If you stay at this hotel, be sure to take everything with you each time you leave!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank DEI2010
Ms
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Everythig was great. I don't know why there were bad reviews concerning the breakfast. We found it to be great, they even had tomato juice which is two bucks a glass other places. If u don't want to pay for eggs then don't. If u cand find plenty to eat here then u are too picky. Kids loved pool. Huge room with pullout sofa. This is my new hotel for jackson. Great location with upscale mall next door. Forget drury and holiday inn. You may get shot down there.

• Stayed October 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgeland
Embassy Suites by Hilton Jackson - North/Ridgeland
Home2 Suites by Hilton Jackson/Ridgeland
SpringHill Suites Jackson Ridgeland/The Township at Colony Park
TownePlace Suites Jackson Ridgeland/The Township at Colony Park
Drury Inn & Suites Jackson Ridgeland
Hilton Garden Inn Jackson/Madison

Been to Hyatt Place Jackson/Ridgeland? Share your experiences!