“It's hilly getting there by bike! But worth it.”
Review of Windsor Ruins

Windsor Ruins
Poinciana, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“It's hilly getting there by bike! But worth it.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The scenery and the nearby old Bethel Church. We rode from Port Gibson, then to Alcorn University, then to the Old Country Store and back to Port Gibson - a nice day trip by bicycle.

1 Thank BRUBET19

Asheville,NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Interesting Stop on Rodney Road”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Worth a look but it would be better if the information about the ruins had been updated with the latest archaeological data to explain how the columns are still standing: massive brick lattice below the soil holding them together discovered within last two years by MSU archaelogists.

3 Thank altamont03
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Filled with awe at what once must have stood there. Such a sad loss for this period of history, and for us today. Thank goodness for the one sketch of an Union soldier that remained.

1 Thank sjuddot
Arkansas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Check it off bucket list.”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have been wanting to see these ruins in Port Gibson, MS for the last 15 years and I finally got the chance on January 4th, 2013. My suggestions are to start at Port Gibson, MS and go straight to the Visitor Center on the main road. The 2 ladies working there were extremely helpful to us. They showed us where to go in Port Gibson and directions to the Windsor Ruins.
The drive to the ruins seemed to take forever, but didn't seem as bad on the way back. There is nothing on the old Rodney Rd, just forest and a lookout that General Grant stood at. It took 15-20 minutes to get to the ruins from Port Gibson. The road is paved the whole way.
You won't miss the sign for the Windsor Ruins. It is hard to miss. We pulled into the old gravel-dirt road and drove back to the ruins. Even if there were a good rain, the road is safe to drive in a small car. They keep it up really well..
The ruins were wonderful to see. My wife and I were back there all by ourselves and it just made it seem so peaceful. The ruins were very tall, but it is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The grounds are taken care of as well. Whoever takes care of it, does a great job.
It was worth the drive, Port Gibson was a beautiful visit. Again, go to the visitor center on the main road. They will tell you all the sights to see in Port Gibson.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Bart4IV
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Beautiful scene”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

If you like to touch history and if when you look at a historical object your mind then starts to imagine the past then this is a great place to visit. For me personally, I'd rather see an authentic, worn down plantation, structure, ruins, whatever...than one that is has been restored back to near perfect condition, i.e B&Bs.

Don't get me wrong, I love beautiful, historical architecture and my wife and I enjoy staying at B&Bs every chance we get, but I, personally, just feel more of a connection to the past when I'm around sites like this.

Great experience and I would highly recommend it. Although, I wouldn't really recommend biking there or going near dark...not the safest looking neighborhood on the road going to and from the site. That's just my option.

Visited May 2012