“Beautiful scene”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Beautiful scene”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

If you like to touch history and if when you look at a historical object your mind then starts to imagine the past then this is a great place to visit. For me personally, I'd rather see an authentic, worn down plantation, structure, ruins, whatever...than one that is has been restored back to near perfect condition, i.e B&Bs.

Don't get me wrong, I love beautiful, historical architecture and my wife and I enjoy staying at B&Bs every chance we get, but I, personally, just feel more of a connection to the past when I'm around sites like this.

Great experience and I would highly recommend it. Although, I wouldn't really recommend biking there or going near dark...not the safest looking neighborhood on the road going to and from the site. That's just my option.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank smith3825

Port Gibson, Mississippi
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Maybe not what you would expect however,”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

it is interesting. How can nothing but old columns, standing in a woods be interesting? I don't know, but I like the place. Peaceful. Try it for yourself.

Visited May 2012
Los Angeles, CA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Very interesting place”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Old plantation ruins from a fire. It was untouched by the Civil War, but burned done later. It is very eerie seeing the old columns and imagining what a grand place it was.

Visited October 2012
Tyler, Texas
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Haunting”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Haunting is about the best word to use for this site. Not so much as in ghosts, but like a song from the past that keeps running though your mind and you can't quite catch the lyrics. Hardto find but worth the search. Secluded even in the day time. Family cemetery is close at Latitude: 31.94470, Longitude: -91.12310. Circular staircase is at Alcorn University. Didn't know this until later, would love to have seen it!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank awayfromhome1994
Utica, MS
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“interesting site”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Windsor ruins are one of the most photographed sites in the state of Mississippi The ruins are a haunting reminder of times long gone and should not be missed. However, visitors should be aware that the ruins are very out of the way. There is no staff on site and the only security you should expect to see is an occassional visit from the county sheriff's department. Don't let this discourage you from visiting during the day, but I would not want to be there after dark. On our last visit, in 2010, there were clear signs that the parking area was being used as a late night "party" place by local youth.

4 Thank SouthernTraveler58