“Not bad at all!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Jackson Airport
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Pearl
“Not bad at all!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

I'm a Marriott Elite Member, so I try to stay at Marriotts or Hyatts due to having a Platinum Membership with them. I have a few free nights with Marriott due to their current stay two times, get one night free promo, plus I have a lot of points. I had never stayed at a Fairfield Inn brand before, so I decided to use some of my points to see what it was like. I drove the three hours to Jackson and checked into this Pearl location earlier in the evening for two nights. I had been looking forward to seeing how different the hotel was, and was a little concerned due to Fairfield Inns being the low end Marriotts. Both gentlemen that checked me in were very cordial and recognized me as an Elite member. I was placed on the 3rd floor, as requested. One thing that impressed me was the hotel actually placed extra towels in the bathroom area with a card indicating that I had requested them in my profile. This was the first time a Marriott has actually prepared for my stay by accommodating my requests. Unfortunately, the rooms have no fridges. They do however have a comfy armchair and king bed, and a nice sized coffee pot and also a VERY cold A/C! Another big plus in my book were the brand new LG HDTVs. They did not have the HD channels programmed when I first got here, but just a simple digital channel scan found all the local Jackson networks in beautiful widescreen HD from my hotel room. I do not stay in any hotels that haven't updated their TVs to HD. I don't expect them to have the HD programmed in, but as long as they have an HDTV and I'm able to program the HD channels in myself, I'm content. I am constantly looking for new hotels I know for a fact have HDTVs for me to stay at, and broaden my choice of where to stay.

A couple of things that keep me from giving this review a 5/5... the toilet has been running since I got here. It doesn't bother me, but I'm sure it costs the hotel money. I plan on letting them know about it tomorrow. Another thing is that I began having a big issue with the wireless internet connection earlier. It just all of a sudden stopped working. I'm sure it is a router issue that will be fixed by the time I wake up, I just hate using my cell phone's data connection to get on the internet when I should be able to connect to a wireless network for free.

Oh, and I was placed RIGHT NEXT to the ELEVATOR, but it hasn't bothered me at all! It is so quiet in this room. I cannot hear a thing other than what is going on in the room..no doors slamming, no highway noise, nothing but the nice, cold A/C and the brand new HDTV :-) I can see why this hotel has won awards. For a property that has been here for a few years, management sure takes care of this place. It shows. I must say that the room price during the week of over 100 bucks is a bit high for this room, the room rate was 109 for tonight, and I can't see myself paying that much here when I could stay at a Comfort Suites in Flowood that's brand new for 65 bucks, even if I am partial to Marriott. Weekend rates are 89 bucks, which is still a bit too high. This hotel used to have rates in the 70-90 dollar range, which was perfect. Perhaps it's just so close to the MS Braves ballpark and that is why the price has gone up. Otherwise, it's a nice place that isn't showing its age! And is in a GREAT area of the metro!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

I hate to do this because I am a loyal Marriott girl (and, in particular Fairfield Inn), but I am rating this hotel 3 stars.

I could have lived with the disinterested hotel check-in guy; he barely spoke to me - which was fine - I don't care if people are nice to me, but when I got in the room, the smell of air freshener, or cleaner, or something, overtook me. It was positively peutrid. I really should have moved, but I was tired and didn't.

The stink was not of smoke, or a dirty room, it was cleaning stuff - or some kind of spray stuff. I tried opening the window, but it only opened 2 inches. I have complained about cleaning products before - but, this was really horrible.

I could not wait to leave the hotel in the morning, and would never return there.

On the positive side - very clean room, comfy bed, and my special requests were met (extra towels, bottom floor). The breakfast area was fantastic, and the young lady running it was so very nice! Lots of good stuff to eat - that was the bright spot of the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't stink!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed at the Fairfield after a hard day's drive, almost 500 miles. The hotel property is well lit with a porte-cochere and adequate parking. We were greeted with a comfortable lobby, good service and nice decor. Our rooms were in apple pie order, with huge televisions, comfortable mattresses, clean carpet and an immaculate bath. There are good restaurants in walking distance and the area seemed quite safe. I slept well and they also offer AAA and AARP discounts for members. Couln't be better for the $$$. Marriotts and their affiliates are my hotels of choice because of the attention to detail. The free breakfast is really good, too.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

Clean, Safe hotel w/ daily breakfast with waffles. Friendly staff. Not competitive on price matching to other hotels (Hampton Inn)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank adoresMUSIC
MS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

Great rate on the King suite w/sofa bed!!
Great staff!
Awesome room!
- Very Clean!
- Comfy bed!
- Extra bed and TV for 2 preschoolers rocks!
Great Location!

Would have given 5, but the continental breakfast, while good, was kinda slim.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2011

I generally like Marriott properties, however I notice that a lot of them are much older.. and in need of a little "TLC"...

In terms of cleanliness, this place was great. The room was clean, fresh and welcoming. It was nice to get in my room and have it be at a comfortable 69 Degrees... and to have a "Welcome Platinum Elite Guest" placard on my best.. it's just the little things that are nice.

However, in terms of comfortability, I do like the newer hotels and newer amenities.. Given the location of the hotel, I would rate it average.. since the area is a little dated. The staff was friendly and overall this place wasn't all that bad. Beds were moderately comfortable.. they were a faux-temperpedic type product... actually way too soft.. and that made it really hard to sleep well... aside from that, I have no complaints.

I more or less stay at Marriott properties (regardless of age) so that I can maintain my status... since I was heading to STL, I wanted to have a great checkin and room upgrade (which I turn received).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank thundr101
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2010

This hotel is excellent. It is better than many real Marriott hotels, which are much more expensive and do not have breakfast included. The staff is friendly, everything is clean and rooms are spacious. The only problem with the hotel is the slight noise from the highway, which is only 150 yards away. Breakfast is not exceedingly healthy, but it is ok.
The price/quality ration of the hotel is one of the best I have had.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple