“"Good Indian food"”

Maharaja
Ranked #69 of 186 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I used to visit this restaurant almost once a week while I was in Oxford, Mississippi. The service was terrific with good food. The owner of the restaurant is very friendly. Should try all their dishes, lamb vindaloo was my favorite.

1  Thank WayfarerRBS S

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am glad to have this restaurant in Oxford. If you love curry, ginger, turmeric and spices, besides going to a Mexican restaurant, this is the place to go. My favorite is their Garlic Naan Bread. I ordered Garlic Naan Bread, yellow vegetable rice, Chicken curry and spice fried chili with Chickpeas flour. Maybe this is not the best Indian cuisine like I had before in other big cities, but is a neat place, the waitress are nice and is the only Indian restaurant in town. I love to go to different places to eat and have different choices.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

If you want something different, this is a neat place. I had never put a bite of Indian food in my mouth when I first went. I had no idea what to order. The waitress was very helpful in explaining the dishes. I chose a chicken dish, which was very good. I also liked the variety of Indian breads that were brought out before dinner. I had a spicy type of tea drink that was really good also. The atmosphere is very authentic. You have to try it once.

Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

I love Indian food and I'm glad I can get it right here in Oxford. Maharaja is not the best Indian food you will eat, but unless you plan on driving to Memphis or further, I suggest you give them a try. They do have a tendency to go a little overboard on the spice. That's fine with me, but I have a family that wants to eat too. I actually think you get a little more by placing a to-go order, so that's something to consider.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Have been to Maharaja several times over the last year and a half. Their vindaloo is very good and so are their appetizers. Other dishes are good, also. This is a rather authentic restaurant - but they are really disorganized and the service is super slow. Last time we went, we had to to wait for about 20 minutes to get aout appetizer - cauliflower in a tasty sauce. Our main course arrived about 50 minutes from the time we sat down at the table. Too much time to watch Ballywood on the TV.